Chance to choose, a new material for the Hone Type 15.

What material next for Hone...

• Stainless Steel

• Aluminium

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aluminium for me, but you would be in danger of looking even more like the Standard razor, especially if you did the razor in black or raw.
Yes I can see this. I think the geometry around the head and the neck is quite different in reality. (I have never seen a standard razor in real life mind) But from images I think the difference becomes quite obvious especially in profile. The Type 15 parts are quite heavily sculpted and blended together... But I can understand, probably more so with the black, that they might look like siblings.

For older duffers such as me ( or anyone of any age with shaky or slippery handies ) an aluminium razor is not only easier in use , but is less likely to damage my sink when, as I almost certainly will, I drop it on the porcelain. Nice black aircraft grade alu could make it the ' stealth fighter of the sink '.

JohnnyO. o/

@Whosthedaddy, Interesting can you expand on that? Do you mean perception of quality? Or the effect on the shave of changing weight with the same geometry?

Not quality, I liked the way the Standard felt in the hand and would imagine this would also translate to the Hone.

With regards to shave geometry, it's an interesting read on the pass around alumigoose thread. What was once a smooth shaver, now in aluminium it's a bit harsher and aggressive

now in aluminium it's a bit harsher and aggressive
I have identified a definite change in shaving feel with the aluminium samples I have too which is why I was interested, I will read that thread thoroughly tonight. I think that its not necessarily bad thing for the Type 15 which has some headroom for a touch more blade feel, and can only conclude that the difference in weight is like driving a sports car or a 4x4 down the same road and noticing the grain of the tarmac more in the lightweight car :)

The 'Lady Hone' could be sold for 50% more, judging by what razors for women cost these days :D:D
HoneType15Pink.jpeg

I like the way both Hone and Standard use clean lines, making them stand out from the crowd, also a fan of alu for bringing a light and responsive touch to a hefty design.

With regards to shave geometry, it's an interesting read on the pass around alumigoose thread. What was once a smooth shaver, now in aluminium it's a bit harsher and aggressive

I haven't been following that thread but as someone who used to own a B2, shaves regularly with an alumigoose, and now owns a B3, I can't tell any difference in the shave between steel or aluminium, even if the aluminium is far lighter. Just my personal experience.

A questions for @Hone - somehow the finish on the brass handle becomes very secure in the hand as it gets wetter. Would this apply to the new materials as well, or is it unique to brass?

It's not the weight that puts me off brass it's keeping it looking clean. The lack of weight would put me off aluminium though, I didn't like the Standard for that reason, although I think I'm in the minority.

I haven't been following that thread but as someone who used to own a B2, shaves regularly with an alumigoose, and now owns a B3, I can't tell any difference in the shave between steel or aluminium, even if the aluminium is far lighter. Just my personal experience.

A questions for @Hone - somehow the finish on the brass handle becomes very secure in the hand as it gets wetter. Would this apply to the new materials as well, or is it unique to brass?

YMMV in a nutshell.

Should've put my name down for the alumogoose after getting rid of the B2 so could see if I shared th findings or not.

I have previously asked whether if a change in material changes the shave, this should be interesting with the final product.

Back
Top Bottom