Cheese

Wow, long time from joining to posting!

I hope the hoops do well, I was at Loftus Rd last week for the Man City game and the fans were great and Warnock put out a typical battling team who actually play good football. I think you'll be fine this year.

I like Lancashire cheese.

Welcome to TSR, as for cheese a nice mature cheddar in the hard cheese section, but i'm rather partial to a soft cheese a Boursin with some nice crackers a few slices of apples and pears, or better still a vast array on my cheese board sample what you will.

Regards Jamie

Mikael said:
hunnymonster said:
Sad but true, I'm often found in the cheesemongers in Embra trying something different...

I J Mellis, Cheesemonger

That looks like a serious shop!! :icon_razz:

Welcome to the board even if it is belated.
As for cheese it is a short nose between Lanark Blue and Stilton (crocked and waxed)
As for Mellis:
It's one of the finest shops in Edinburgh and one of the shops I miss the most since moving North.

cromulent said:
Mikael said:
hunnymonster said:
Sad but true, I'm often found in the cheesemongers in Embra trying something different...

I J Mellis, Cheesemonger

That looks like a serious shop!! :icon_razz:

Welcome to the board even if it is belated.
As for cheese it is a short nose between Lanark Blue and Stilton (crocked and waxed)
As for Mellis:
It's one of the finest shops in Edinburgh and one of the shops I miss the most since moving North.

Iain has several of the finest shops in Embra... at least I know of 3 and my local butcher has a trading arrangement with them so I can order it through him too - which is nice.

Hiya,

Finally, a thread about something important! Took a new member to post it (oh yeah, welcome to this place new guy).

I like cheese. I like some mild ones and some strong ones, some aged and some new, some creamy and some sorta on the dried out side.

I live about 40 minutes from the Wisconsin state line, and that state is known for their cheese. You ever hearda the term 'Cheeseheads' to describe the Green Bay football team fans? That is an accurate nickname.

There's many small cheesemaking companies that rely on Farmers Markets and such for distribution....yeah, tiny places. Sometimes they come up with unusual concoctions that never are seen in any stores. They will also sell one day old cheddar cheese curds, which are delightful. You can tell how fresh they are by how much they squeak when you eat em. Seriously, the noisier they are, the fresher.

If I hadda choose one special cheese for a treat, it would be one from Italy. It's called Gorgonzola and Mascarpone Torte, which meanes it's a layered kinda thing. Yeah, maybe 6 thin layers of mascarpone and gorgonzola, best eaten at room temperature like most cheeses. The one I usta love has pine nuts and I believe basil mixed in between the layers...kinda like a pesto thing going on. Whew doggies (as we say in Firenza), that stuff ain't half bad.

Martin

When the cheese comes out, everybody's happy.

Out newest member should know a lot about feta. There seems to be a lot of love of aged cheeses, but someone should talk to us about fresh young cheeses. Not my thing though. :)

Canuck said:

Out newest member should know a lot about feta. There seems to be a lot of love of aged cheeses, but someone should talk to us about fresh young cheeses. Not my thing though. :)

This is entirely irrelevant, but whilst at university I had a brief relationship with a girl called Brie.
I've never liked the cheese itself - I should have taken that as a warning.

Canuck said:

. There seems to be a lot of love of aged cheeses, but someone should talk to us about fresh young cheeses. Not my thing though. :)

Well, a good example of a nice young cheese would be a Brie. When fresh they are very mild, but still extremely buttery and rich. As they age, the cheese gets stronger. Always best served at room temperature of course.

Fresh mozzarella is more subtle, and very popular. Nothing like a Caprese salad using that cheese, tomatoes, basil, and a nice vinagrette.

There's a cheese factory in California (Rouge et Noire) that offers a three day old 'Breakfast' cheese that is tremendous. The texture of a Cheshire, but creamier and a little less crumbly, with a very mild tanginess that sorta reminds me of a very young Feta. Whew momma!

Last would be those one day old Chedder curds. They look like squiggles of cheese that were extruded somehow. Yeah, very strange shape to these squeaky little guys. It's easy to go through a bag of those at one sitting.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom