Claymore

It shaves just like the SS Mongoose but slightly smoother and at half the price. The handles are lathe turned and head is investment cast, perfect finish on the exterior of the razor but expect some machining marks and discoloration on the inside or top of base plate. To be expected at the price. Size wise it's the same as the mongoose but slightly chunkier head due to the rounded top cap. Perfect blade alignment and all fits together perfectly.
Don't forget Executive Shaving offer discount to TSR members.

It shaves just like the SS Mongoose but slightly smoother and at half the price. The handles are lathe turned and head is investment cast, perfect finish on the exterior of the razor but expect some machining marks and discoloration on the inside or top of base plate. To be expected at the price. Size wise it's the same as the mongoose but slightly chunkier head due to the rounded top cap. Perfect blade alignment and all fits together perfectly.
Don't forget Executive Shaving offer discount to TSR members.

How would you compare the aggressiveness with the 'goose? I think I'll be trying this anyway when it's available again but I would like something like a mongoose but with maybe 5% more aggressiveness.

What blade did you try?

How would you compare the aggressiveness with the 'goose? I think I'll be trying this anyway when it's available again but I would like something like a mongoose but with maybe 5% more aggressiveness.

What blade did you try?
With a Feather pro it was almost identical, if I concentrated hard then maybe a touch more aggressive but only fractional. Don't expect cobra levels of bite.

I've got a Claymore en route, and was very happy at the price, which seems very reasonable to me. I quite like the look of the Bullgoose RX, but unfortunately, at an estimated selling price of $230, it's going to cost us in the UK somewhere north of £200 plus with shipping, taxes and imposts. That expense means I'm more in the Rocnel "slide" SE market.

Anyway, my main interest for this type of razor is the availability of an open comb bolt-on, so I'm holding out for that as well.

Ferrum

Mine has this instant turned up with the postman.

First impressions:-
  • fast despatch/delivery (well-done and thanks, ES).
  • good, solid cardboard box with razor tissue-wrapped inside.
  • nice matt finish.
  • quality machining and excellent fit.
  • good long handle at 95mm.
  • heavy! With a Kamisori blade loaded, it weighs 144 grams.
The post here arrives quite late, so I'd already flown a Blackbird round my fizzog. Tomorrow will be the try-out, and I'll be interested to see how it works with the curved top-cap.

I received my Claidheamh-mór today and I have to say, on pre-shave examination, I am impressed. I examined this razor carefully alongside my Mongoose and the standard of finish on the claymore is not far short of the 'goose. Although the claymore is heavy, I found it balanced in my hand nicely and I feel less inclined to lighten the handle than I did with the 'goose. The finish, though not knurled, is very grippy and I do not expect any problems with the razor slipping.

The thing is - this cost me £71-04 delivered (with discount) whereas the 'goose would currently cost me $179.00 + carriage (about £150 or £188 with customs charges).

All this really has to do is shave satisfactorily and it's a no-brainer.

Acid test tomorrow.

I'll let you know.

First go with my new Claymore, and I judge it a success.

A new Kamisori blade (they're usually better after one or two uses), and Wickham's Club Cola, two passes plus touch-up, and it works well. The weight is noticeable, but not adversely so, and does require some attention to avoid over-pressure. The balance is spot-on, for me. Anyone who already has an SE using Feather-type blades will be used to the width of the head, but, for those who haven't, it may take some getting used to. I had no problem in finding the right angle straight away.

I think that the curved top cap makes it very slightly more manoeuvrable, and smoothly gliding over the skin. It's very difficult to judge aggression, or lack of it, but I'd say it's more aggressive than an Alumigoose, and about the same, or maybe very slightly more so, as my B2 stainless Mongoose, with "standard" handle.

All in all, it's a good razor, British- and well-made, and the price point is very competitive. As @globalm points out, that puts it into the bracket for those in the UK who want to own a quality stainless single-edge of this type, without paying something in the £100-£150 range (plus delivery, taxes, imposts and sleepless nights wondering where it is in the mail systems) to buy from abroad.

The production levels outlined by Brian Mulreany at Executive Shaving should mean that the razor will be readily available (as opposed to long waits and "scarce as hen's teeth"). However, I think it may well prove to be very popular, which is why I, for one, haven't hung around before buying one.

I managed to work up the nerve and (just) enough stubble to try the razor last night.

I said "All this really has to do is shave satisfactorily and it's a no-brainer", and it is!

The shave was more than just satisfactory. The razor shares the mongoose characteristic of mildness plus effectiveness. I loaded it with the Feather Pro blade, as I have always found the Pro Super, in my Mongoose, to be too much for me. The shave feel was very like the Mongoose - maybe 1-2% more agressive. Tactile and sonic feedback were present in goodly measure. Whenever I am using a new blade I tend to get a weeper or two and the faintest hint of irritation on day one. With the Claymore, I got one tiny weeper which was duly stemmed with the alum and I experienced no irritation at all yet have a BBS face. This is very good going for my skin/beard. I would summarise thus.

Pros:
  1. Does everything the mongoose does without hurting.
  2. Nice balanced feel despite being heavy.
  3. Very good grip from the bead-blasted, matt finish.
  4. Smooth yet effective shave.
  5. Local supplier (for UK members) with excellent service reputation.
  6. Comparatively low-cost. If you are paying in currency other than sterling then ultra-low cost.

Cons:
  1. Slight imperfection in the finish. Top and bottom plate fitting is not quite even all round.
  2. Perhaps too heavy for some people.
All-in-all I deem this a good purchase and am glad to see such a razor coming from a UK and Scottish company.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom