Cleaning and maintaining a brush in good condition

I rinse the brush under cold running water first - then dunk it in a glass of cold water a few times to get clean water all the way to the base - then shake vigorously until it feels dry - then gently towel dry.
It seems to keep the brush clean and free from build up at the base.
An occasional soak in a diluted white vinegar solution also helps to keep the build up at bay.
I do shake the brush pretty hard and sometimes a loose hair will show itself but I dont see that as a problem.
It's grinding the brush in a soap puck that I advise against,,that can damage a brushi I beleive.
regards, beejay

I rinse my brush, facing down, under the cold tap to get most of the lather out, then swirl it around in a basin of very warm (not hot) water. The water is usually clear after the swirling so most of the lather has gone by then anyway. Then a few good shakes, and I run my hand over the top of the bristles, give another shake or two, and dry the brush on its stand on the windowsill.

I rinse my brush under the cold tap. Then I swirl the brush in a basin of very warm, but not hot, water. This clears most of the lather. Then a few good shakes.

antdad said:
Post shave rinse the brush with bristles standing directly under the flow of water rather than rinsing around exterior of the knot, that way you will be sure to remove all the unused lather.

A gentle squeeze and shake and couple of rubs on a towel to help it along.

I'm a new DE shaver and I do this with my Silvertip badger brush. Is this going to be ok? I don't want to ruin it :s

joe mcclaine said:
Shake it dry and let it stand.

Don't worry about standing it on its base - it won't ruin it - that is just something manufacturers tell you to get you to buy a stand.

Badger hair and human hair is quite similar so when your brush doesn't seem to be holding as much water as it used to you can give it a quick once-over with your good lady's shampoo and conditioner.

Ok , as it was brought up... I was recently at a supply house and saw some really nice brushes at a very reasonable price/really inexpensive. Then I read the literature . While they looked to be constructed just like a shaving brush, they were labeled makeup brushes and made from 'Human Hair' I was going to try one but after thinking about it, it kind of freaked me out so I didn't.
Will Human Hair work as well as Badger??

Back
Top Bottom