Comparison of 6 different DE blades

Some time ago I bought 6 packs of blades based on the high scorers in NotTheStig's
excellent spreadsheet (see sticky), in order to try each using a controlled method (as far as possible). I am fortunate that, although having tough wiry growth, I can use any blade without irritation, cuts, weepers etc. With any soaps or creams that I have used, I always get a consistent lather whether face or bowl lathering (some just take longer than others). On this basis, I reckoned that any major difference in the performance of each blade would be the suitability of that blade to the razor and setting that I used (give or take the odd rogue blade). Really what I am tying to establish is that some blades just don't suit certain razors or settings. As I shave at the same time every morning, the growth was the same each day. I intend to do this again at a later date with other makes of blades.
For all the tests, I used Castle Forbes Limes cream and a Merkur Futur set at 3. Where a blade felt unnecessarily tuggy, I would alter the razor setting up or down during the shave to see if that made any difference.
Here are my findings:
Timor Stainless: Worst of the 6. Tuggy and draggy, lasted 2 shaves with the second shave quite poor.
Bic Chrome Platinum: Lasted 2 shaves, quite tuggy and did not feel sharp, not close shave.
Perma-sharp Super Stainless: Disappointing, not all that sharp, similar to the Bic.
Bolzano Superinox: Very poor, only slightly better than the Timor. Tuggy and draggy.
Lord Super Chrome. Really good. 3 really good close shaves, similar to Feather but just not as sharp.
Personna Super Med Prep: Outstanding. Sharp without being savage. 5 excellent smooth shaves, and could have had another 2 or 3 decent shaves from this blade.

I was interested in NTSs remarks where he rated the Bolzanos highly and then downgraded them when tried in a different razor, and I had the idea that, all things being equal, the razor type and setting are the major contributors to whether you find a particular blade good or bad. (leave Lazer and Derby out of that :icon_razz:)
Some of these findings are at odds with NTSs results, and I think this is mainly the fact that different razors were involved, so it's my guess that, in general, it's blades for razors. Like to hear if anyone else has tried a controlled test, and what their thoughts are.

Definitely agree with the variability of razors for performance. The blades on the spreadsheet were reviewed with a Merkur 38R, a Fatboy or a Progress. Unfortunately I don't recall which ones used which, although I could take a stab at which ones were likely the Merkur as I don't have that razor anymore.
I have found the Bolzanos consistently tuggy and blunt in subsequent razors but the BiCs and Permasharps good in the Progress. I know I haven't tried the LSC or the Timors in the Fatboy or Progress so those would be with the 38R. I'm reluctant to redo the whole spreadsheet so it's all done with just one razor but I could do. If I did I would use the Progress as it gives me the best performance out of the large range of blades I've thrown at it. But if I did that would I be moving the scores up unfairly? Likewise if I just used a Fatboy some would go up and some down as I find it very choosy about blades. And of course ultimately whatever I use what suits you won't necessarily suit me. Therein lies the other significant problem.
Still hope that it continues to help people and it might be an idea to try a handful of low scoring blades once in a while just in case there is a hidden gem in there for you.
I said gem, not Jewel!

I believe your spreadsheet, as is, to be a very good guide in general to what is available and how each blade will behave over a general range of razors, and, as such, is a great starting point for newbies or anyone looking to change their go-to blade. It would be impossible to cater for every type and variation of razor. My little experiment is specific to the Futur which has it's own characteristics, but every little piece of information when assembled may start to show a trend. There are blades (Derby,Jewel etc) which will probably always be near the bottom of the popularity list, and others (Med Preps, Iridiums etc) which will always score reasonably high. If we take the spreadsheet as a good starting point and then adapt to suit varying conditions, then it serves an excellent purpose as a baseline reference point.

I've found NTS' spreadsheet pretty much mirrors what I've found from experience. Then again, I'm a noob working my way through the Connaught sample, so maybe I'm the target audience.
I'm using an EJ De89 (now with a Weber Bulldog handle)... and I finally thought "why am I spending time working throught the blades with lower marks?"
So I'm starting out with the Astra SPs this afternoon, and also have the Red Personnas left to try. Not tried the Feathers either... I will at some point.

I'd still recommend any beginner to have a study of the spreadsheet (once basic technique is sorted). And it's always worth having a quick look if considering anything new.

I tend to think of blade selection as a knockout tournament rather than a league table. If the new one is better than the old one... I use the new one until something better comes along. Saves me a lot of brain space.

Will I need to start again if I get a new razor... I'll try not to think about that.

I've already got to the stage of having a shortlist of blades which work well in individual razors, so NTS's spreadsheet isn't perhaps as useful to me as to a newer DE shaver. My own experience is of a balance between a league table and a knockout - blades are bumped-out of contention for a particular razor, but a few types which work particularly well are in a rough order of preference.

chrisbell said:
I've already got to the stage of having a shortlist of blades which work well in individual razors, so NTS's spreadsheet isn't perhaps as useful to me as to a newer DE shaver. My own experience is of a balance between a league table and a knockout - blades are bumped-out of contention for a particular razor, but a few types which work particularly well are in a rough order of preference.

Chris that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Using the spreadsheet as a starting point, by a process of trial and error it's possible to reach the stage you are at, where you know roughly which blades suits your particular razor(s), all other things being equal.

majortom said:
chrisbell said:

Chris that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Using the spreadsheet as a starting point, by a process of trial and error it's possible to reach the stage you are at, where you know roughly which blades suits your particular razor(s), all other things being equal.

Absolutely; my situation is that I was already pretty much there by the time I came across the spreadsheet, with the exception of a couple of cheaper blade types which I'm not expecting to like and the hard-to-find vintage stuff.

majortom said:
Here are my findings:
Timor Stainless: Worst of the 6. Tuggy and draggy, lasted 2 shaves with the second shave quite poor.
Bic Chrome Platinum: Lasted 2 shaves, quite tuggy and did not feel sharp, not close shave.
Perma-sharp Super Stainless: Disappointing, not all that sharp, similar to the Bic.
Bolzano Superinox: Very poor, only slightly better than the Timor. Tuggy and draggy.
Lord Super Chrome. Really good. 3 really good close shaves, similar to Feather but just not as sharp.
Personna Super Med Prep: Outstanding. Sharp without being savage. 5 excellent smooth shaves, and could have had another 2 or 3 decent shaves from this blade.
Not tried any of that list except the Bic Chrome Platinum- description is very familiar. Was looking at blades to try out last night in a new sampler to go with stock blades and liked the look of the Lord Super Chrome and Bolzano. Having got the personna reds and the other version stockpiled it doesn't surprise me they performed well.
Read lots of conflicting things on the Bolzanos enough to maybe not try them i'm thinking - probably will though.
If you had a make a choice though after only one run through them with the futur would you only bother getting the Personnas and the Lords?

Andy said:
majortom said:
Here are my findings:
Not tried any of that list except the Bic Chrome Platinum- description is very familiar. Was looking at blades to try out last night in a new sampler to go with stock blades and liked the look of the Lord Super Chrome and Bolzano. Having got the personna reds and the other version stockpiled it doesn't surprise me they performed well.
Read lots of conflicting things on the Bolzanos enough to maybe not try them i'm thinking - probably will though.
If you had a make a choice though after only one run through them with the futur would you only bother getting the Personnas and the Lords?
Yes Andy, I would, but again that's only a personal view from using a Futur. If you look again at NotTheStig's previous postings, Bolzanos went from being really good to pretty bad as the result of using them in another razor. So my view, like ChrisBell's, is try as many as possible to find the ones that top the list for your particular razor(s) and that may take you nearer the Endgame being discussed in another thread. If you want to PM me your address, I'll pop you off a couple to let you try before buying any.

Thank you for that offer. I've got a Futur too so its interesting to see what baldes other users find work in it. I might have blades of sorts you want to try as a return swap if you like. Anything particular you're wanting to try next?

Andy said:
Thank you for that offer. I've got a Futur too so its interesting to see what baldes other users find work in it. I might have blades of sorts you want to try as a return swap if you like. Anything particular you're wanting to try next?

Andy, think I.m OK at the moment as I've got the PIF blade selection coming my way shortly.
I can send you a sample of the following which are worth trying out in your Futur to give you a wide variance of suitability. Tell me which you don't need from the following:
Polsilver Stainless ( very Good)
Shark Super Stainless
Wilkinson Sword
Lord Super Chrome
Lord Platinum
Timor
Derby
Treet Platinum
Perma -sharp super
Astra Platinum
Bolzano Superinox

If the Polsiver Stainless is the one that you and I received yesterday then I have to agree, I had a shave with it tonight and I think I might prefer it over feathers. It might not be as sharp (I don't really know) but it felt smoother and I think I got a better shave... time will tell.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's blunt on comparison to a feather, I'm just saying I don't know. Last night it was certainly sharp enough, and I often find blades are not.

I know what you mean. Some blades, like the Lord Super Chrome, feel slightly tuggy at first and not greatly sharp and yet shave very close. Med Preps feel smooth but not over sharp and give a great shave. Sharpness, smoothness and closeness in a blade are definitely three seperate entities. Sometimes a blade feels sharp and gives a close shave but is not particulaly smooth to use (e.g Feathers), others like Perma-sharp are ,strangely, not very sharp although smooth enough but not particularly close.

I haven't tried any of the blades listed, but do now have most of them thanks to NotTheStig.

Once I have finished on the Chinese blades pif, I shall start working my way through these and report back my findings.

Back
Top Bottom