DE new guy

Morning all, I'm new to the whole 'proper' shaving world & eager to get started. I've found myself some soap & a brush, just missing the razor. Talk about a minefield...Anyway after some research & reading reviews etc I think I've settled for a Merkur 34C. Any experience out there or other suggestions?

Many thanks

Welcome to TSR. I started with a 34c, almost 2 years ago now, and it's a great razor for learners. It's only recently been passed on to a work colleague who I've converted to DE shaving and he loves it, so a good choice I would say.
You'll get lots of great advice on here. Enjoy.

The 34c is a good razor to start with, or you could try the Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89, both well regarded starter razors as well.

You won't go far wrong with any of the above.

Hi, the 34C is what I started with and I still use it a lot, not a bad choice at all. I like the short length and the relatively solid weight, it's probably still one of the best 2 piece razors.
The Edwin Jagger 87/89 models and the equivalent Muhles are mentioned a lot as great starter razors as well, they're easy to use and well finished. 3 pieces too, so nothing to really go wrong, I still have a Jagger 87 and I briefly owned a Muhle 89 until I decided I didn't really need two of what is effectively the same razor.
Welcome to TSR.

Well it has arrived & my new shaving kit is now complete. Must say it feels a quality piece of kit! Thanks for the recommendations. Time for my first DE shave then....

biscuit said:
Well it has arrived & my new shaving kit is now complete. Must say it feels a quality piece of kit! Thanks for the recommendations. Time for my first DE shave then....

Hi there,

Gulp.........be careful. That blade's pretty darn sharp and it's easy to accidentally cut a major artery during the first shave or two. Not a big deal, since only about one in twenty new DE users die from blood loss (or blood poisoning in the case of vintage razors). Hopefully you won't receive a haunted razor, but you never know till shaving with it. I had an old haunted Merker slant that ended up taking over a member borrowing it. I was glad to get that razor outta my house.

Nothin to it!

Back
Top Bottom