DE virgin

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice given
I've always been a user of cartridge razors but as I have very fast growing coarse hair the cost has become silly so have decided to try my hand at DE shaving
What recommendations do people have for a quality budget shaving kit?
Should I take to it then I'll buy myself better equipment at a later date

Welcome to TSR!

Merkur 34C will be a good introduction to DE shaving for you and the strong stubble. That, some Gillette green or yellow pack blades and you're off ... if you get into it, Merkur do a "slant" razor called the 37C which gives a closer shave.

See you around.

Hi and welcome, I only started a short while ago myself, I began with a £3.99 from ebay that others have said is very similar to the Boots version, it came with some Astra SP blades.

I'm still here and enjoying every shave, so it did convince me I made the right decision,
Then if you are happy get yourself on the Newbie Pass around and see where to go from there.

Good luck

Pleased to see you have found our den of iniquity Tony!.
I would try as pgjh said,a Merkur 34C,or a Mulhe R89,or an Edwin Jagger DE89,for starters...
Also,don't put vintage razors out of the picture,I find a Gillette Slim adjustable WAY better than all the above put together!.
The technique is different with a DE,compared to a cartridge,and concentrate on your pre-shave prep,but once you have nailed it,you will be SO glad you did!.Welcome to the world of TSR....

Do you need to use a specific blade with the gillette slim adjustable?
I've been looking at videos on YouTube and prep wise I pretty much do anyway apart from using pre shave oil
Now for the last 2 years I switched to using regular hair conditioner rather than shaving foam or soap as I found this gives a better finish, is this a no no with a DE?

Oh and if anyone has any equipment, lotions, soaps etc that they don't get along with then that are just sat in a drawer then I'd be happy to buy them to get me started and we're doing a little bit towards recycling too

Do you need to use a specific blade with the gillette slim adjustable?
I've been looking at videos on YouTube and prep wise I pretty much do anyway apart from using pre shave oil
Now for the last 2 years I switched to using regular hair conditioner rather than shaving foam or soap as I found this gives a better finish, is this a no no with a DE?
All DE razors use the same DE blades matey!,there are MANY blades to chose from,but some are much better than others! (see the DE blade thread).
Hair conditioner is an awesome pre-shave prep!,I use it myself, (well,I use Vosene For Men),you really want to be using a brush and soap/cream for the actual shave though.
So,hot shower,scrub softening conditioner into the chin,leave it in as long as possible,rinse out,then get out of the shower to a nice warm brush and blade (both left to soak in hot water,before you get in the shower).
Then mix up a nice lather of decent shave soap,or cream,with your brush,and apply to face,then start shaving...:D

Oh and if anyone has any equipment, lotions, soaps etc that they don't get along with then that are just sat in a drawer then I'd be happy to buy them to get me started and we're doing a little bit towards recycling too

I get what you're saying, but maybe not in this case,

There may be a good reason why something isn't used and being new you won't know the difference. Down the road trying new stuff that way is fine but right now stick with the tried and true items, none of which have to be expensive.

Last edited:
Welcome! For ease of access I would go for a wander into town...

First go to Boots and pick up a Wilkinson Razor with 5 blades for about 6 quid and a styptic pencil.
(Or if you're looking to splash out maybe look online for an Edwin Jagger DE89/ Merkur 34C)
Then wander along to your nearest body shop (armed with voucher code) and grab their Cream and Brush.
And then if you have a Wilkos (or ASDA/Tesco etc), grab some Nivea sensitive balm for about four quid and a 50p Palmolive soap.

You're now all set and not very out of pocket! Have a great day a great first shave.
I would also check out nickshaves, PaulHFilms, TSE and KevyShaves on youtube for some guidance as well as the people on here :)

Welcome to TSR, Tony.

If you don't fancy the cost of some of the recommendations, a Lord razor is decent value. You can pick one up on eBay for £6.

Get a blade sample pack as there's quite a difference in them. You'll be able to pick up other basics at supermarkets or Boots. Get yourself some shave cream or soap, some aftershave lotion or balm and a brush. As a beginner, a styptic pencil or alum block will be useful for nicks.

I started with a basic kit from Amazon that included a Chinese razor. That was good enough for me to realise I'd get on fine with it all. Once that happens watch out for your bank account!

Welcome aboard Tony, I started with a cheap generic razor which broke after 3 shave so I opted for a Merkur 34c and how glad I did.

You'll have great fun with whatever direction you go for.

Welcome along Tony.

Loads of good advice on this forum. Take your time and check out the sub-folders etc. Try and resist - although it can be difficult - to fill yer boots with loads of hardware and software. Much more important to get a decent base set-up and concentrate on preparation and technique. Good luck!

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions, I am now on the hunt for some merchandise and cant wait to see the difference compared to the fusions I've been using

Another recommendation for the Merkur 34c and one of the Edwin Jagger DEs. Both good razor that you would be much better off starting with than a cheapie. The cheapie might just put you off for life whereas the two above might be all you ever need. Oh aye, welcome! :D

Back
Top Bottom