DE virgin

Tony,
Welcome to TSR, plenty of sound advice above. I returned to DE shaving a few months ago, started with a cheap Wilkinson Sword Classic razor and blade pack, soon migrated to an Edwin Jagger DE89 with a blade sample pack, now nursing a serious case of RAD!

I hear Boots currently has price reductions on loads of shaving items, including 50% off the Old Spice aftershave range. Good way to start without too much pain in the wallet. Then it really starts!

See you down the rabbit hole.

Regards,
Chris

So I have ordered an assorted blade pack
Bought some basic boots soap and erasmic stick for starters
1 bodyshop soft brush
1 pure bristle brush
And a styptic pencil just in case :)
Now to decide which razor to opt for....
Once that little lot arrives I'll just stick with those until I've got the technique nailed and then maybe start trying other products thereafter

Edwin jagger de 89 ordered but also fancy an old gillette black beauty ;)

Tony,
Well done, good start! For sheer hard to beat value I'd also recommend a stick of Palmolive Classic shaving soap, approx 90p in Superdrug.

You won't go wrong with the EJ DE89, it was my first real DE razor on returning to proper shaving recently. I've been looking at the Gillette Black Beauties myself and was warned off the later models with the black plastic plate beneath the blade tray. Not so well made and difficult/impossible to repair, apparently. Gillette Slim adjustables are also a good bet, generally a bit cheaper on Ebay at the moment.

Regards,
Chris

Tony,
. I've been looking at the Gillette Black Beauties myself and was warned off the later models with the black plastic plate beneath the blade tray. Not so well made and difficult/impossible to repair, apparently.

Regards,
Chris

Long handle late model Super was the one I started with luckily for me. and a very easy transition from an injector. Hah, not so lucky with the blades but I found that out later and no harm done. Might have even helped actually.

Having acquired a few later 80s Supers and using em over the years, it seems like they perform just fine. Little bit lighter head with the same angle of attack. Plus, these models have the nicest knurling of the family, it being a diamond cut pattern.

No reason to be spooked about finding a good one if you are patient.

Martin

So whilst awaiting on the delivery of my new razor I thought I may as well get some practice in with the brush and soap ( boots own brand) whilst still using my cartridge system that I've used for years, anyway the results are an extremely sore blotchy neck

So whilst awaiting on the delivery of my new razor I thought I may as well get some practice in with the brush and soap ( boots own brand) whilst still using my cartridge system that I've used for years, anyway the results are an extremely sore blotchy neck

Tony,
There are many possibilities, a few initial thoughts to consider:
1. Did you skimp on the beard prep? It's a key factor in a smooth shave, often overlooked for a quick result with detrimental results. Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave balm is good for such eventualities, with cooling menthol relief. Distilled witch hazel is also good for relieving the post shave sting.
2. Did you use too much pressure? Easily done, not so easy to master - lightest touch, just enough to guide the razor. It could also be attributable to the way cartridge razors work - pull and hack, rather than clean cutting the whiskers.
3. How many passes did you do and in which direction, relative to your beard growth? Against the grain can be fraught and I'd never recommend it below the jaw line.

If you haven't already, have a look at the Mantic59 instructional videos on YouTube and his "The Sharpologist" web site for lots of useful advice and gear reviews.

Don't get discouraged, technique comes with practice and I think you'll notice a difference with the DE razor. You'll soon have it off pat and be encouraging others to switch.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for all the advice. Practice practice and practice some more till its mastered basically
Anyhow I am now fully equipped and ready to go
Which out of this lot would be the best to try 1St?

Thanks for all the advice. Practice practice and practice some more till its mastered basically
Anyhow I am now fully equipped and ready to go
Which out of this lot would be the best to try 1St?
Others may disagree, but Sputniks fit the bill of being sharp, yet smooth and you can safely get 4 days+ use out of them

Back
Top Bottom