derby blades

id like some honest opinons on derby blades :) ive never used them, ive always been put off by the negative comments. are they that bad? i used to use merkur blades for years and found them an ok blade, but they dont get any love either. just wondering whether to give derbys a shot, id like to hear peoples views on them.

If you liked Merkurs, you might like Derbys. Personally, I can't imagine being able to like either (though the honours for worst blade I've yet tried are tied between a Zorrik and a Treet Platinum), but it really is the ultimate YMMV scenario.

PM me to remind me of your postal address. I'll send you some Derby blades so you can decide. And some Treets and a few Merkurs.

I can use a Derby - but why would I when there are so many good blades to be had? - and I can't get a close shave from one nor be irritation free in sensitive areas. But I can use them.

cheers for that bechet. ill take you up on the derby offer, PM on its way. im good for treet though, ive tried a few treet and really like the dura sharps, but im with chris on the treet platinum, hands down the worst blade ive ever tried.

I personally find Derby's to be not sharp enough for my whiskers...I've tried 'em several times and can manage HALF a shave before I have to give up with them...Far too much drag on the old whiskers, feels more like being plucked than shaved..

Laser blades from Wilko are the worst blades I've tried so far...can't imagine anything much worse than those.

I quite like Derby, I don't find that they're half as bad as they're made out to be. I liked them enough to buy a sleeve of 100 anyway, even though I don't use them all that often.

There are obviously better ones out there (most Gillettes for starters), but yeah there are worse blades than a Derby. It's funny, some other forums really rate them. Maybe there's a bit of "groupthink" creeping in somewhere.

I like Derby's, however they do appear to be a little bit inconsistent... I actually had
the best shave of my life with a Derby, it lasted about 16 hours before I felt any
stubble and no irritation.... But the next blade I tried, out of the same pack, was
very... Meh..!!

It would seem that there are blades that are as good as Derby's on their best day
that are much more consistent, I am in the process of finding out for myself after
nearly 10 years of Merkurs.

I have bought the popular sample pack from Connaughts http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html
and I would recommend to anyone to try it, you should find at least three or four
blades that will be as good as a "good" Derby.

I only use a DE blade once. So I don't find that much difference between Derbys and similar prices blades. 'Good once as it ever was'.

I shaved with a Derby this morning. Twas a perfectly acceptable shave and quite forgiving with my technique. The only other blade I've used is a Gillette 7 yellow which I think I will eventually prefer as my technique improves. I was going to buy 100 Derbys but backed out as it was to early to commit when there are so many more renowned blades I haven't tried. I do like the plastic dispensers and that they are wrapped with no wax spots, though, and might always have some on hand as a benchmark.

Hogwash said:
I do like the plastic dispensers and that they are wrapped with no wax spots, though

They are packaged well, you kind of get the luxury of Feather boxes without the excessive cost!

Thos waxy spots on Gillettes do get on my nerves, it's a nice surprise to try a Derby now and then and not have to shave off the wax spots with an old blade first.

Back
Top Bottom