derby blades

I got some Derby's when I bought my EJ89; the first one was so bad I never used them again. Since my technique will be better than in those days long past, it might be an interesting experiment to try another.

Since I'm also a single edge advocate, don't go telling anyone that I am playing with my DE's again :angel:

I used Derby when I was starting out with DE shaving and thought they were terrible. I went back to a lone survivor from that purchase about 10 months later and got perfectly good comfortable shaves from it (in an EJ89L). I think their reputation suffers as they're often bought when people are starting out and get blamed for poor shaves, when really it's technique that's the issue. That being said I haven't bought any more! YMMV

shavecraft said:
I used Derby when I was starting out with DE shaving and thought they were terrible. I went back to a lone survivor from that purchase about 10 months later and got perfectly good comfortable shaves from it (in an EJ89L). I think their reputation suffers as they're often bought when people are starting out and get blamed for poor shaves, when really it's technique that's the issue. That being said I haven't bought any more! YMMV

Several people have made that observation. It may well be true for many, however, I was an experienced DE shaver (18 months or so in) before I tried a Derby, and I still thought it was sh*te.

The best thing to do with a pack of Derbies is throw the blades away and put your 7 o'clock and Astra blades in empty Derby dispensers.

Turn the card with the logo round to avoid embarrassment

chrisbell said:

Several people have made that observation. It may well be true for many, however, I was an experienced DE shaver (18 months or so in) before I tried a Derby, and I still thought it was sh*te.

Hi Chris, yeh that's what my YMMV disclaimer was meant to cover. Guess we pretty much all have blades that just don't suit, or at least don't suit in certain razors. For me I can't get along with Merkurs (yet I like modern German Wilkies, which I've seen some say are similar to Merkurs), and aren't too fond of 7 O'C Blacks and Greens, like the Yellows though. I still have plenty of blades I'd like to sample yet.

shavecraft said:
chrisbell said:

Hi Chris, yeh that's what my YMMV disclaimer was meant to cover. Guess we pretty much all have blades that just don't suit, or at least don't suit in certain razors. For me I can't get along with Merkurs (yet I like modern German Wilkies, which I've seen some say are similar to Merkurs), and aren't too fond of 7 O'C Blacks and Greens, like the Yellows though. I still have plenty of blades I'd like to sample yet.

I like German Wilkies as well - much better than Merkurs IMO.

Bechet45 said:
Is there a blade that is not better than a Merkur?
I've only experienced the single Merkur blade that came with my 34c all those months ago... but yes, there is. Laser blades from Wilkos. I binned the whole pack after one painful and utterly depressing pass.

I'm trying to use up my Derbys. Whilst I dislike them, I can achieve reasonable shaves with them. Not particularly close nor smooth. I know that life's too short and I really ought to stop using them if I don't enjoy them, but the spendthrift reflex in me (ironic considering the £s I've spent on shaving since Christmas) hesitates to send them the same way as those dreadful Lasers.

Well... I'm using them up because I'm a noob and need to sort my technique before I can make any judgments. Got 10 blades to use in total... got through three so far and my technique is improving and getting some great results.
... then it's on to the Connaughts sample pack...

sorry to resurrect this thread, but i tried a derby blade tonight (kindly donated by bechet) and i really liked it. a no nonsense, irritation free shave. im going to see how it goes for a second and third shave, and i may purchase a few packs.

isaiah53 said:
sorry to resurrect this thread, but i tried a derby blade tonight (kindly donated by bechet) and i really liked it. a no nonsense, irritation free shave. im going to see how it goes for a second and third shave, and i may purchase a few packs.

Yeah , I've been dwelling on this for a while , when I started out I took the plunge and got 200 Derby's with a EJ , bad shaves ,but, as people say a lot could be down to technique in the early stages , felt a right plonker buying the Derby's , all the sensible people buy a sampler first , for the sake of redeeming myself a little i feel I will re-try a Derby , if that does not work I will give them away ,
Derrick

A local shop sells Turkish labelled Derby blades. They are made inTurkey anyway, and I did not find it too bad. It was about the same as a Wilkinson Sword Classic.

Back
Top Bottom