English Comfort Meals

What's your favourite English comfort meals? My Father's was Cottage Pie with raw onion. I am partial to Ham, egg and chips. As with Shirley Valentine household, Steak and chips or Egg and chips. What about Sausage, egg and chips, Sausage, beans and chips, or pushing the boat out Sausage, egg, beans and chips. Not quite an all day breakfast but Bacon and egg on toast, yum...

We had steak, tomatoes and mushrooms last night. Would have had Asparagus with it if there was any to be had locally.

Lovely meal and no more expensive (or even cheaper) than any Deliveroo or take away.

Am always partial to some sort of stir fry cum Omelette that uses up whatever leftover veg we have (onions, peppers, tomatoes etc). Just gentle dry fry to soften the veg then get the heat up and introduce the eggs ... lovely.

Damn it! I knew I forgot something over the festive period - Greggs Festive Bake. What a treat!

In other news, Greggs is now haute cuisine!
Bugger! I was in Fenwicks first week in December, I wasn't aware they were doing that. I'd have had a bash at that had I known.

Fish and chips (done properly) - the only food, I think I read, that wasn't rationed during WWII. The best I've had have generally been whilst on holiday (French's: Wells-Next-The-Sea and Carlo's: Alnwick). I'm also partial to a nice beef joint. Steak suet pudding, too - nail yer boots t'floor.
+1 on the fish and chips, sir. When I was a kid, my mum worked in't local chippy. On many levels I love them. We probably only buy them every couple of months these days, sadly.

Contentious question - whats your condiment of choice? Is curry sauce acceptable? How about gravy or mushies? May be just salt & vinegar......

Fish, chips and mushy peas is my favourite comfort meal, in fact it’s my favourite meal full stop. I usually go for sit down fish and chips about once every 3-4 weeks. My local chip shop is fantastic and very reasonably priced compared to some. My mum likes curry sauce with hers which doesn’t appeal to me at all but we’re all different thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom