English Comfort Meals

For me it has to be Corned Beef stew with Carrots, Parsnips, Onions, Tomatoes, Swede and Sweet Potato and a hint of Chilli, all stewed in a rich thick Gravy, served with Mashed Potatoes.
I don't eat Greggs as I prefer to keep the skin on the roof of my mouth where it belongs. Do they cook their Pasties in a Thermo Nuclear Reactor?

Contentious question - whats your condiment of choice? Is curry sauce acceptable? How about gravy or mushies? May be just salt & vinegar......
It all depends on whether one is "Ooop Norf" or "Darn Sarf" at the time.

In the Southern climes, "Mushy Peas" and "Curry Sauce" become strange mutterings that have the natives thinking you have surely lost your mind and are now "Speaking in tongues" :LOL:

The only acceptable accompaniment in those parts is the mighty Saveloy.:cry:

• Haha
Reactions: PHR
+1 on the fish and chips, sir. When I was a kid, my mum worked in't local chippy. On many levels I love them. We probably only buy them every couple of months these days, sadly.

Contentious question - whats your condiment of choice? Is curry sauce acceptable? How about gravy or mushies? May be just salt & vinegar......
Salt, Vinegar and Scraps, It must be Haddock, Cod has Worms. Mushies are acceptable but Curry and Gravy, Nah! Gravy is Lancashire and as for Curry, Why? the only other thing needed is a Buttered Bread Cake.

It all depends on whether one is "Ooop Norf" or "Darn Sarf" at the time.

In the Southern climes, "Mushy Peas" and "Curry Sauce" become strange mutterings that have the natives thinking you have surely lost your mind and are now "Speaking in tongues" :LOL:

The only acceptable accompaniment in those parts is the mighty Saveloy.:cry:

Mushy peas....aaah...reminds me of the time Peter Mandelson became my local MP and visited a Hartlepool chip shop...
IMG_20231231_164052.jpg

+1 on the fish and chips, sir. When I was a kid, my mum worked in't local chippy. On many levels I love them. We probably only buy them every couple of months these days, sadly.

Tatare sauce is heavenly...

It's puddings for me! Custard Tart, Parkin, Lardie Cake..our mum was an excellent baker.
Being from Hampshire. I miss Lardie Cake. We would get one every Saturday morning, as the Baker made them once a week on a Saturday.

Reactions: PHR
If you like sauces try Stokes Sauces

Their brown sauce and tomato ketchup make Heinz taste like over vinegared glop.

Jams and Marmalade are perfect too, packed full of fruit and minimal sugar

No connection of course.

In terms of comfort food, I think that cottage/shepherds pie with a cheesy crispy mash topping takes some beating, I could manage some right now.

Back
Top Bottom