English Made Wilkinson Sword Blades?

G

Gairdner

I have this wee obsession about trying to buy British no matter what it is I buy. Just another influence Grandad bestowed on me. Sometimes its just impossible, occasionally the quality is so poor its not worthwhile and quite often its priced way out of my reach.

I noticed fairly quickly on joining here that no new DE blades are made in good old Blighty but it seems that NOS Wilkinson Sword blades that were made in England can be had here and there.

Would these be some?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILKINSON...rRemoval_RL&hash=item2a1a4d1a71#ht_500wt_1156

If not, could one of you experienced and knowledgeable chaps advise where I can get my mitts on some? I do appreciate that I am new to DE shaving but several shaves in, I'm enjoying myself and getting a good enough shave that I am a definite convert. Time and practice will indubitably improve technique, etc.

Thanks in advance gents.

They are quite hard to come by, having been out of production since 1999. The gold 5 appears above the WS logo on the English ones; below on the modern German ones. You can't always go by the seller's pic as it may be a stock photo. I've seen a few sellers say that they get asked about whether their stock is English/German and they've added a disclaimer that their stock could be either!
There is a place local to me that does them but they're a bit expensive (£1.90 for 5) and I've got a few people to get some for already when I next get the time, but I could pick you up a pack to try when I do. You may need to PM me if I post on here when I've got them. The pharmacy doesn't open after 5 and weekends are fairly busy but I'll try to get some this Saturday

hunnymonster said:
There's always the Sheffield-made Jewel Super Stainless :dodgy:

If i was to be tortured and the footage put out on youtube as proof, would that be enough to forget the "Jewelgate" scandal ?? :blush::blush::blush:

right..................i can't take it any more.......... your Banned !!!!! :s:s:s
don't care if your a Mod, and if Boab tries to step in i'll ban him too !!! :s:s

:icon_razz:

if you are anywere near ayr
there is a barbers oppisite argos
which has some british wilkies in stock
i got 70 blades for £15 of him
would have bought more but thats all the cash i had

Jewel? JEWEL!?!

Sunbury sent me some. He shrewdly didn't put his own address on the envelope or I would have returned them to him, or sent the police round.

Anyway, I was on the same kind of mission as Gairdner a few years ago. UK Wilkinsons are OK, but I quickly decided that the quality of my shave was more important than having an all UK-made set-up and switched to some much better blades.

Good luck with the search - I'm sure there are millions of old blades tucked away in the dusty stock rooms of independant chemists all over the country. Dig out your Yellow Pages, punch the details into your Sat Nav, grab your razor to wave at them (or they won't know what you're on about) and fill yer boots.

joe mcclaine said:
Jewel? JEWEL!?!

Sunbury sent me some. He shrewdly didn't put his own address on the envelope or I would have returned them to him, or sent the police round.

Anyway, I was on the same kind of mission as Gairdner a few years ago. UK Wilkinsons are OK, but I quickly decided that the quality of my shave was more important than having an all UK-made set-up and switched to some much better blades.

Good luck with the search - I'm sure there are millions of old blades tucked away in the dusty stock rooms of independant chemists all over the country. Dig out your Yellow Pages, punch the details into your Sat Nav, grab your razor to wave at them (or they won't know what you're on about) and fill yer boots.
:blush::blush::blush::blush:

i found some nice Gillette Platinums "Swedes" doing just that, just put pharmacy into yell.com and drove to the independant ones in my area, also found one selling culmak stuff and one that had benjamins and pashana bay rums and a few other bits plus a Metal handled gillette contour razor in one for under £1.75 !

Grand replies folks, thanks very much. Don't keep too well these days and getting out and about isn't so much of an option so it looks like I'll be sticking to whatever is available on t'interweb.

What's the craic with these Jewel blades? Almost sounds funny given the banter above.

That's good of you, Carl. Just give me the nod and I'll send you PayPal funds.

Thanks very much. :D

Gairdner said:
What's the craic with these Jewel blades? Almost sounds funny given the banter above.

i will give you an ultra quick explanation.....

There was a seller on ebay that was doing vintage made in sheffield "Jewel" DE blades in boxes of 100 for £5.00

i had never heard of them so had a quick look on another USA forum, they got good reviews so i bought 100, tried 2 and to be totally honest i got great shaves, i then ordered loads and posted on here saying that they were excellent blades, lots of members ordered them, not just a few but in bulk like myself........

well as the days went bay i was finding rubbish blades mixed in with good ones, and more time went and every blade i was trying was utter s**t !!

By then most of the members had discovered that they were...................UTTER S**T !! and were less than impressed with my foolish recommendation !

It has since been known as the great "Jewel" Scandal or "Jewelgate" :blush::blush:

i have asked..............no.....BEGGED for forgiveness but those scars run deep !!! (excuse the pun)

No matter how many times i say sorry, no mater what i try and do there is just a feeling of deep hatred just bubbling away around these parts.

I have done what i can, i have even offered for a few of the members to come round and give me a damn good thrashing...........but no, there is no forgiveness.

just a gentle comment, a little poke in the ribs now and again to let me know that one day i will get what's coming to me...

i still have 146,000 of the blades at home which i feel is punishment enough

Oh well

Nevermind :blush::blush::blush::s:s:s

Sunburyboy93 said:
I have done what i can, i have even offered for a few of the members to come round and give me a damn good thrashing...........but no, there is no forgiveness.
Steve, we would never do that to you. You'd enjoy it too much given your obvious masochistic tendencies.
Saying that, I like Treet Platinum and people seem to hate them.....!

Gairdner said:
Grand replies folks, thanks very much. Don't keep too well these days and getting out and about isn't so much of an option so it looks like I'll be sticking to whatever is available on t'interweb.

Hi Graeme,

Maybe I can help. Vintage Wilkinsons are something I've tried, and there's a few different ones in my rotation. Probably 7-8 versions in the arsenal, dating from the late 50s to late 80s-early 90s. All are New Old Stock, still in the wrappers.

If you'd like a small assortment of maybe 3-4 types, I can send out say.....20 blades or so. It would run you $10, with the really really far shipping to you included. If you liked any of em, they're all found on ebay if you're patient.

How's that sound?

Martin

Back
Top Bottom