Even after a year, I'm not too proud...

...to ask for advice.
Right, the situation is this. Since I started using soaps, I used a Semogue 1305, either in a bowl or on my face. Following Tony's excellent advice on lathering soaps, I swirl, twist and generally abuse the brush on the soap, then start adding water slowly. This technique gives me very good lather all the way into the centre of the brush.
Today, I received a New Forest 2113 finest silvertip, which I rinsed and prepped as Fido advises by lathering up a couple of times with a hard soap. I was much more careful when loading the brush, but still splayed the hair quite thoroughly. I lathered on my palm with less pressure, as I do when lathering on my face or in a bowl, and got excellent lather; however, squeezing the knot released wet, bubbly stuff from the centre of the brush. On the second attempt, I applied less pressure when lathering on my palm, and, though it reduced the wetness of the lather from the centre, it was still present.

I mailed Fido who suggested I play with the variables, but I was hoping someone might have an idea of what to try first.

Cheers.

I think I am one of the few people who didn't get on with a Fido brush. I think though that this may be more that I just prefer boar to badger. I have also tried a Simpson Duke in best but that too was rejected. I love my 1305 and I reckon there is a big difference between lathering with this brush and a quality badger. Have you used badgers before, Chris? If this is your first badger and you are used to the 1305 I don't doubt that this brush will take some adapting to.

Chris I have 2213 brush, my take on that brush would be it's not suited for using with soaps, but superb with creams, it as wonderfully soft tips, but not enough backbone to use with hard soaps. If you wanted NF brush that's a bit of a all rounder I sugest you should go for the Tubby 1.

Regards Jamie

Please remember that it's a new brush, in my experience it'll get better and better, to settle after approx 10-15 latherings. Goof luck Chrish, I think Peters brushes are great and that you made a good move! Don't give up to soon, what ever you do :D

It's been covered...comparatively you're now trying to use a brush that holds a lot more water but is actually less capable of removing soap, aka double bubble trouble.

A silvertip will produce great lather with soaps as well as creams. I use my NF Silvertips with soaps and produce thick creamy lather. Some people use soft floppy brushes with soaps and get great results. Every brush takes a little while to yield its secrets so it's usually worth persevering if you have initial problems.

Back
Top Bottom