Even after a year, I'm not too proud...

LOL shanky!
Well, I just used the NF to facelather some Body Shop Maca Root cream, and there was less bubbly stuff in the centre -a touch, but less. It definitely takes some work to fill the brush, but what a lather generator it is! I added slightly too much water to the lather which I put down to not having used the cream before, so it did break down a bit after 2 passes, but, had I not made that mistake, it would have easily held enough for 3 passes. Seems that I may have to treat myself to something from Fido's Hampshire hideaway with more backbone to compliment my boar brush as a soap latherer, but, all in all, I think I'm getting there!

I wondered if you had a finicky soap which needs just the right amount of water or else it sulks ... still none the wiser as I've never used Provence Sante. Fido's initial advice sounds just right to me though: have fun getting to know the brush.

Shanky, what's wrong with that? It's a bugger when you forget yourself and start with the against the grain pass though :blush:

I think I was mislead by the prodigious lathering capability of the finest silvertip knot that I failed to load the brush sufficiently. I had considered following mantic's advice about keeping the centre of the brush closed, but, in face-lathering the maca root today, the brush seemed to work best when splayed a bit more.

Arrowhead said:
I wondered if you had a finicky soap which needs just the right amount of water or else it sulks ... still none the wiser as I've never used Provence Sante. Fido's initial advice sounds just right to me though: have fun getting to know the brush.

Shanky, what's wrong with that? It's a bugger when you forget yourself and start with the against the grain pass though :blush:

well the razor i used isnt quite sharp enough, it dosnt really pull just starts to snag on atg

on wtg its not too bad, hopefully ill get down to postoffice tomorrow and i can send a colour vision form off and razor to neil

is it best to send through recorded, proof of delivery or what method?. razor came in a little carboard razor box, may wrap it up in that and post whole lot, what you guys think?

never sent a razor through the post before

chrisbell said:
I think I was mislead by the prodigious lathering capability of the finest silvertip knot that I failed to load the brush sufficiently. I had considered following mantic's advice about keeping the centre of the brush closed, but, in face-lathering the maca root today, the brush seemed to work best when splayed a bit more.

"Just loads more soap to start with would be my take on it." Was my quote this morning I do believe. :angel::angel::angel:

Regards

Pete

man of leisure said:
chrisbell said:

"Just loads more soap to start with would be my take on it." Was my quote this morning I do believe. :angel::angel::angel:

Regards

Pete

Of course, I never said you were wrong...:angel::icon_razz:

First, don't treat it as a precious object. Load it up, splay it, work; it's a tool. To treat it otherwise is to get frustrated.

I have a stupidly dense brush in the Chubby 1 and have the same sort of issues with it. Shake it and it's too wet in the centre, squeeze and it too damp to be effective on loading soap - the halfway house is practically impossible to find. The only way i found that worked was to squeeze it, and make sure the soap is wet, then the moisture gets right to the tips as you load up. And load up big making sure its creamy as it comes off.

But for this and feel reasons, I don't love the Chub. Too finicky and high maintenance. I have a cracking $10 boar (or 3) that does exactly as asked whatever the job.

I had the same problem but the other way around when I bought my first boar (Semogue 1305) after using badger exclusively. Couldn't for the life of me get a decent lather out of it even after the breaking in period. Think I'll go back to it with a different approach.

Tardisbasher said:
I had the same problem but the other way around when I bought my first boar (Semogue 1305) after using badger exclusively. Couldn't for the life of me get a decent lather out of it even after the breaking in period. Think I'll go back to it with a different approach.

After owning a bout 6 Semouges and now trying a few omegas., I think break is in way overstated on forums. I even did it to begin with, following the 'conventional' wisdom. They just work differently, but when you know how to use them they can work great right out of the box, no matter how big or dense.

The Semogues can be a bit more finnicky. Why? I have no idea, some of them just are.

The pedant merchants on you know where do my head in. There a numty who doesn't let a new boar touch his face for 2 weeks and ritually lathers and blowdries it,daily then hand lathers. He probably puts an ad in the paper when its ready to use. FFS.

What I do with a new one is let it soak for a minute at most. A good shake and load it well. After a week of so I pull back on the soaking as I find they can go too soft and this impairs their loading ability. I find a damp but firm boar loads up really well and never runs short of lather.

Drubbing said:
After owning a bout 6 Semouges and now trying a few omegas., I think break is in way overstated on forums. I even did it to begin with, following the 'conventional' wisdom. They just work differently, but when you know how to use them they can work great right out of the box, no matter how big or dense.

The Semogues can be a bit more finnicky. Why? I have no idea, some of them just are.

The pedant merchants on you know where do my head in. There a numty who doesn't let a new boar touch his face for 2 weeks and ritually lathers and blowdries it,daily then hand lathers. He probably puts an ad in the paper when its ready to use. FFS.

What I do with a new one is let it soak for a minute at most. A good shake and load it well. After a week of so I pull back on the soaking as I find they can go too soft and this impairs their loading ability. I find a damp but firm boar loads up really well and never runs short of lather.

I'll bow to your greater experience, save to say that I agree that boars load better when damp, whereas badgers tend to load better still partly wet, I find.
As for "the other place" having lurked there a bit, I'm amazed at how pedantic they are (and I'm a self-confessed pedant myself).:icon_rolleyes:

chrisbell said:
I'll bow to your greater experience, save to say that I agree that boars load better when damp, whereas badgers tend to load better still partly wet, I find.
As for "the other place" having lurked there a bit, I'm amazed at how pedantic they are (and I'm a self-confessed pedant myself).:icon_rolleyes:

Forums of all topics attract pedants and obsessives, we wouldn't stick around it things weren't dissected a bit.

But there's wanting to learn, really get to know about stuff and max your experience, and there's the sort of ritual/obsession/pedantry for its own sake that the other places dish up in order to create an in club, that just makes it facepalm city.

FWIW I don't treat boar or badger any differently, except when a boar is new and may not hold water that well and may be a bit stiff, so I let it soak for a minute instead of jsut runnign it under the tap. A few days usually sees it come good.

From what I can see here, I've been soaking my brush too long. It would certainly explain a lot.
I just can't understand waiting as long as two weeks to use a brush. When I get a new brush/razor/anything, I'm like a kid...can't wait to use it.

A brush rarely survives a few seconds before it's put through its paces here. Once out of the packaging it's off to water for a trial lather. It's become one of life's little pleasures. Obsessive? You bet it is.

Back
Top Bottom