Fat and forty, and Lordy Lordy....that's not a good look

And even worse at my age.....
So off I betook myself this very evening to 'Slimmer's World' with a very enthusiastic friend who has already lost a stone in 6 wks or so, and veritably harangued me to go too.......obviously so horrified at my lardiness (as am I !!!) that she could no longer contain herself.
Having already worked out my BMI, I am on the borderline.....maybe an ounce or two over.....between 'normal' and 'overweight'.
So, just wondered whether anyone else on here has found these groups of any help. There were a couple of men there, so I wondered if any other members have braved a 'fat club'.

Never been to one, but after giving up rugby my doc told me i was borderline obese. At only 5' 6" i was 15 stone. Dont diet is my advice, bad for the body and soul. Eat smaller meals more often, cut out crisps, cut down on sweets and sugary drinks. Take a little more excercise even if its just walking. Dont cut out all the nice foods you enjoy or it makes it boring and horrible, just eat a little less but much more often. Five or six smaller meals a day and i lost two stone in two months along with a little excercise, it helped that i also had a pretty physical job though

I started dieting in August last year after a nurse I had gone to for South Africa injections harangued me about my weight and blood pressure. I am 6'3", weighed an awful 21 st 5 lbs. I now weigh 17 st 3 lbs, and am aiming for a target of 16 st. I haven't been to a gym at all, just make sure I take a good brisk walk every day for about 30 mins (being redundant helps!). Also, when I started my diet, the Hairy Dieters show was on the TV (they're repeating it this week). I cannot recommend their book highly enough, it's full of great tasting, low calorie food, as well as many, many practical hints and tips. I didn't join a fat club, but did find a mate on Twitter who was dieting too, and we encourage one another.

You just have to remember to burn up more calories than you're taking on board, that's the secret.

daz said:
Never been to one, but after giving up rugby my doc told me i was borderline obese. At only 5' 6" i was 15 stone. Dont diet is my advice, bad for the body and soul. Eat smaller meals more often, cut out crisps, cut down on sweets and sugary drinks. Take a little more excercise even if its just walking. Dont cut out all the nice foods you enjoy or it makes it boring and horrible, just eat a little less but much more often. Five or six smaller meals a day and i lost two stone in two months along with a little excercise, it helped that i also had a pretty physical job though

Your quite right here it is Crisps and sweets. I'm 5ft 8in, and usually around 12 1/2 Stone so a little over weight. I'm all tummy !!

I find stopping eating crisps and sweets for a few weeks gives me weight loss. Just before Christmas I was up to 13 Stone as my weigh can vary. But I ate something that contained too much in the way of nuts, so I'm just under 12 1/2 now. I have a nut intolorence which plays my stomach up. I have to be slightly careful as I have medication due to my stomach producing too much acid. So a nut diet for a few weeks would do the trick !!!! LOL !!! I regularly walk over six miles a day, and up a steep hill and I try and make it a brisk walk. The key is moderation, and like you say cutting out nice things makes it boring and too much hard work.

soapalchemist said:
And even worse at my age.....
So off I betook myself this very evening to 'Slimmer's World' with a very enthusiastic friend who has already lost a stone in 6 wks or so, and veritably harangued me to go too.......obviously so horrified at my lardiness (as am I !!!) that she could no longer contain herself.
Having already worked out my BMI, I am on the borderline.....maybe an ounce or two over.....between 'normal' and 'overweight'.
So, just wondered whether anyone else on here has found these groups of any help. There were a couple of men there, so I wondered if any other members have braved a 'fat club'.

I've never used the clubs myself, but my wife has previously used slimming world (to good effect) and is currently a member of weight watchers. The food combining stuff does work, but she always has better results if she goes to the meetings than if she simply does it on her own. I can't say whether it's the nature of support that helps or else the fear of showing everyone that she's put weight on, but it works for her.

As a bloke, I'm naturally wary of these things - don't know what it is about our make up, but we don't seem to like managed diets. My wife, however, is much more accepting and has had successes.

Like all diets, if you slip back into the old eating habits the weight will go back on, but Slimming World doesn't seem to be an equivalent of the old crash diet approach where you might lose a bunch of weight but it then returns immediately after the diet stops. For my wife, subsequent weight gain was gradual and simply based on the fact that she increased her calorific intake once again (oh, and she got pregnant twice, which didn't help overly!).

As others have said - it's about what makes you happy, if you'd be happier a few pounds lighter, then go for it.

Started a 4 stone weight loss in late 2009. The 4 stone peak arrived in about 8 months. It stayed off for about 1 year and I have managed to put about 2.5 stone back on, since. I put it down to drinking beer again.
Oh we'll back to fatty club next week ( slimming world) it works. G&T from now on for a while

I've gone from around fourteen stone 2lbs to just on 13 stone in about 10 months after reading a book by food nutritionist Barry Groves called "Eat Fat, Get Thin !" Basically he suggests that what puts on excess weight is an over abundance of carbs (including some complex ones as well as the simple ones) causing an insulin reaction which stores the excess glucose in the bloodstream as fat.
His solution is to utilise fats for energy rather than glucose, fructose & starches. It's working well for me, no probs revealed with last blood tests and I don't have to balance food points and "empty" or "full" Kcals.
I do believe however that the encouragement of a support group and the discipline of the weekly weigh in can have an immense if incalculable effect in hitting your targets.
Good on you for investing in yourself & best of luck.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I really, really need to read this thread but my eyes go blurry and prevent me from doing so! The prescribed Health Advisor has emerged from the woodwork - been on holiday and sick - and it is January so I'm going to have to do something about my weight - but oh! shit, I don't want to make the effort! I like my life as it is all except being fat!

After the Christmas excess I have brought out the Wii Fit Plus and am having fresh fruit/veg smoothies for breakfast and healthy lunches. I'm lucky enough not to need to lose weight but I want to increase my fitness and flexibility and eat better food.

Pig Cat said:
After the Christmas excess I have brought out the Wii Fit Plus and am having fresh fruit/veg smoothies for breakfast and healthy lunches. I'm lucky enough not to need to lose weight but I want to increase my fitness and flexibility and eat better food.

Oh go away, this thread is for aspiring lardies not smug gits.

:)

JohnnyO said:
I've gone from around fourteen stone 2lbs to just on 13 stone in about 10 months after reading a book by food nutritionist Barry Groves called "Eat Fat, Get Thin !" Basically he suggests that what puts on excess weight is an over abundance of carbs (including some complex ones as well as the simple ones) causing an insulin reaction which stores the excess glucose in the bloodstream as fat.
His solution is to utilise fats for energy rather than glucose, fructose & starches. It's working well for me, no probs revealed with last blood tests and I don't have to balance food points and "empty" or "full" Kcals.
I do believe however that the encouragement of a support group and the discipline of the weekly weigh in can have an immense if incalculable effect in hitting your targets.
Good on you for investing in yourself & best of luck.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Glad to hear it's working, Johnny. I must admit I'm sceptical as to the accuracy of those claims, but I'm neither an endocrinologist nor a biochemist, so I can't comment from a position of authority. As long as your blood tests keep coming back OK, especially in terms of your LDL (cholesterol) levels, it's probably not doing you any harm, and the weight loss should be beneficial.

Positive thought: I would think that if all of you didn't go around thinking of excess as Stone but as £ it would make you feel a lot happier!
Why would you want to loss £' s???

Fat, forty and Lordy Lordy....

Fat: not quite, but well on my way, so I really have to start doing something about that. The Hairy Bikers recipes are really good, we tried a few out. Pizza base pie crust, superb.

Forty: not quite, only a few years to go.

Lordy Lordy: I've been called many things but not that.

I think I need to dust off my bike, find some lycra and get into cycling to keep fit and make an effort to reduce portion sizes. It doesn't help when your wife is a good cook.

antdad said:
Pig Cat said:

Oh go away, this thread is for aspiring lardies not smug gits.

:blush: :angel:

balidey said:
The Hairy Bikers recipes are really good, we tried a few out. Pizza base pie crust, superb.

We just bought their Hairy Dieters book. Mrs PC is dieting during the week and having time off, but being good, at the weekend. These recipes should be a good combination of healthy and tasty for these times.

I have been overweight since my late teens. Never being a smoker, drug-taker and not a big drinker (two drinks a month, I would guess) I have to have some vice. Without going into the reasons why I have put on weight the only thing that 'worked' for me was cutting out all crisps, cakes, sweets, biscuits and bread products. I lost just over two stone in a couple of months and kept it off while still eating the same other things I normally did. That was till I let the junk food creep back in, slowly. That's why I used inverted commas for "worked", since this is tricky for many and virtually impossible for some. Shortly before my wife got ill I tried again with some success, although that was only a few weeks.
I have noticed - sdon't know if anyone else has - that the more junk foods I eat the more I want. I know that might sound obvious, but I mean immediately. If I have a chocolate bar I tend to want another a few minutes later, as opposed to the next day. That cycle, if I let it, can mean a bit of a pig out one day and going to bed feeling like I haven't eaten enough and still wanting more! I do enjoy helathy foods, even being picky and having a lactose intolerance doesn't impinge too much, so I'm finding just going cold turkey on the crap works for the weight loss in the short and medium term, Longer term, however, is tricky as I don't want to never have a choccy bar or packet of crisps for the rest of my life, so I'm going to try having whatever I want one day a week. That way I can have a chocolate bar or crisps without feeling guilty but - and here's the theory part which I intend to test - I hopefully won't want to spoil the progress already made as part of the weekly weigh-in.

Exercise - yeah, I do that even though I only enjoy walking. Don't do enough, probably, but not having a car or using the bus helps.

Good luck Sharon.

Back
Top Bottom