Fatboy setting? And general technique advice please

Hello all,

I'm new to DE shaving, have been using a Fatboy for two days on number 1 but I think my technique needs some fine tuning as my neck was very red and sore after day 2! And somehow I managed more nicks on day 2 than day 1.

Whats best just keep going everyday or do I need to let my neck recover first?

On the first day I did WTG, XTG and ATG just to see if I could get a BBS which I did and it felt great. 2nd day I just did WTG and XTG as my neck was tender it still feels nice but neck is very sore!

Hi Defender

There could be a number of elements that are contributing to the problems you are having. These include (but are not limited to):

• Too many passes - not everyone has skin that can withstand multiple passes - especially in the "early" days of converting to a DE razor. Just stick with on or two passes until you have your technique sorted
  • Too much pressure - you should not apply pressure, just let the weight of the razor do the work
  • Poor lather - too "sloppy" or too "dry" and you won't get the benefit of the cushioning and slip that a good lather will give
  • Not applying more lather between passes. Someone else has been on here and not realised that you need to re-apply lather inbetween passes!
  • Razor not closed properly - ensure the doors of the razor are fully closed - they often need a little extra turn just when you think they are already closed
  • Razor damaged - if the doors are misaligned then the blade may not be sitting correctly

There are many other reasons for a poor shave. Can you provide more details regarding your pre-shave preparation, the soap you are using and how you are making your lather.

If you haven't watched them already, Mantic59 has a good set of tutorial videos on Youtube that are well worth watching.

Don't give up, it takes time to get your technique sorted - but it's well worth it when you do! :)

Hi Defender,

I agree with everything Hax says.

You may also want to try different makes and models of blades. Different people find that different blades provide more or less irritation.

traditionalshaving.co.uk offer a sample pack of different blades for £8.

Also, rubbing with an alum block post shave, while it may sting a little at first, will help soothe irritation. Finally get yourself a good aftershave.
Lot's of people rate Proraso splash highly and it might be a good place to start. There are other alchohol free splashes and balms too if you prefer.

Finally, welcome to the wide and varied world of traditional shaving!

P

I'd be interested to hear what blade it it as I've had that from a particular blade in an otherwise trouble free setup.

As well as that I think the 3 passes on day 1 didn't help. 2 is usually plenty for most, I go for 3 very occasionally and my skin is used to DE shaving. It can take your skin a few weeks to completely get used to any new regime.

I agree with the above, plus....

have you fixed head set up you know and trust?
A default setting?
For example I know I can use a superspeed, with a Gillette yellow and Proraso soap and get good results.
Also the no 1 setting on the Fat bloke is supposed to be the least aggressive!
A light touch is the trick. Just take off the lather, don't go over old ground. ATG still does not work very well for me!!
Echoing ing ing ing ing ing (echo joke)
what canuck says. Gillette Bleue extras give me hell of a rashy neck. Nothing else does like that!
The fatboy is a great razor keep the faith,
Tim.

Agree with all what's been said above, I would try changing your blade for a different blade and may apply a little less pressure on the razor let the razor do the work.
I have been using a fatboy for a month or two now and I am really enjoy my shave just wish I would have found DE years ago.

I agree with the above. The only thing I would add would be that you make sure that when you set or change your settings that you do so with the doors slightly open. Once set you then tighten them.

Defender said:
Hello all,

I'm new to DE shaving, have been using a Fatboy for two days on number 1 but I think my technique needs some fine tuning as my neck was very red and sore after day 2!

Hi there,

It's gonna take you more than two days to get the hang of DE shaving. The razor's fine, and most likely the blade you're using will be ok too for now. It's probably those other things like lather and technique that are holding you back.

It's gonna take at least a few weeks to sorta figure things out. A combination of good prep, lather, and technique is needed to achieve the type of excellent shave that's possible. Are you motivated enough to stick with it?

Martin

Oh yeah, no one shaves on the #1 setting...maybe bump it to #3, which is still on the mild side.

dodgy said:
Oh yeah, no one shaves on the #1 setting...maybe bump it to #3, which is still on the mild side.

I was wondering about this. I've not used a Fatboy, but if it's very mild on 1, it could be that you are over-compensating for it's mildness by using too much pressure/doing too many passes.

I would scrap the ATG pass for now anyway.

Ian

I find the Fatboy a funny razor anyway. Some people rate it, some people dont. Me? I dont get on with them at all - last one I used I had dialled up to 8 with a Gillette Bleue and still didnt get a good shave. Yet the Slim adjustable (pretty much the same head) I find works a treat for me.
The Fat looks shexy though polished up and sat in my pot.

The road to DE perfection can be long and paved with much trial and error.

As has been said, try a different blade type for now and see if the results differ notably. If you still struggle why not try starting off with something milder like a Tech and give the adjustable a rest for a while whilst you sort your technique out.

Dont give up just yet though, there are lots of people about to give you some good advice.

+1 on all the above. When I started with a DE, I didn't even think about xtg for the first week let alone atg, I just got used to the feel of the razor. The results weren't brilliant at first but as it slowly came together and I added the xtg pass, it became a different experience. Against the grain is okay on occasions, but not something I personally do all the time. Stick with it, you'll get there.:)

Tardisbasher said:
Against the grain is okay on occasions

Yes, occasions being an important word. I think it's often touted as a shaving nirvana but the reality is that not many of us do it much. Last time I did it was recent (Saturday), everything was going superbly, blade was mega sharp, lather was super slick, so I said "why not".
The last time before that was probably 2 weeks before, it's rare that I feel it's necessary.

IanM said:
dodgy said:

I was wondering about this. I've not used a Fatboy, but if it's very mild on 1, it could be that you are over-compensating for it's mildness by using too much pressure/doing too many passes.

I would scrap the ATG pass for now anyway.

Ian

Wow! A massive thank you to everyone I wasn't quite expecting this many replies so quickly, what a nice forum this is.

Anyway, I'm not about to give up my aim is to get into straight shaving and read somewhere that starting with a DE is a good idea for a few months to get your skin used to the sensation.

What I was shocked about was the reaction my skin had.......the reason is my skin is normally tough as old boots and I wasn't expecting on the lowest setting to go red and blotchy. Maybe a bit naive of me but I was expecting the lowest setting to be a walk in the park for my skin hence my post here.

I did wonder if I was over compensating as well and as you have said the same thing I might try turning it up a couple of notches to hopefully get a bit more feedback from the blade.

I also love the engineering thats gone into my Fatboy it's just so nice to look at!
Despite the redness it is so much more comfortable than my plastic Wilkinson Sword multiblade too, I couldn't stop touching my face after and neither could my other half :icon_razz:.

I have to admit today my face is much much better so fingers crossed I'm getting used to it already.

Oh and a few people asked about blades: I'm using Derby Extra's (In a green and white package).

There are arguably better blades out there. I get irritation from Derbies usually on the second shave. Trying a sample of various blades will help; virtually all Gillettes are a good choice; Lord are great for the low price and Feathers are arguably the sharpest. Cheap Supermax are widely available and good for the money, but not the closest or sharpest.
An old post of mine has just been 'stickied' to the DE Blades section - a review of blades I've tried. There are also reviews in the Reviews section of this forum. Everyone's different so worth experimenting with as many as you can if you want to perfect this before moving on to straights.

Oh and a few people asked about blades: I'm using Derby Extra's (In a green and white package)
home-alone.png

I am of course only kidding. Just a bit of friendly Derby bashing. As I'm sure most of the gents will agree, they're not the best blades out there but I don't think they're the worst either. It's all part of the fun finding the right set up that works for you. Enjoy the journey.

Back
Top Bottom