Fatboy setting? And general technique advice please

I agree with most that's been said here.

My best guess is that you're doing to many passes with too much pressure to compensate for the setting of 1.

My advice, 3/4 on the setting, and fewer passes with next to no pressure.

I personally rate the Fatboy as overly mild, and it's not my favorite razor.
(I think the slim shaves better too) I do however love it for its looks and feel, so I do have one or two. ;)

The blades, although they're not the best, I don't think they're the origin of the problem. It would be an idea to try a different one just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Thank you to everyone for their help. I dialed it up to 3 and wow what a difference, first thing I noticed was it took half the time without trying, neck is much better, it's like a different razor!

I'm going to try some different blades but I'm happy with the results so far.

Canuck said:
As easy-oasy as many are about Derby blades, they generally won't irritate but you never know. My "bad" blade was a feather, I had a sore rash for days.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feather blades don't like. I tried them in a few set ups before I eventually gave up and sulked. I just couldn't get on with them. I think it's easy to forget that it's all subjective.
Defender: How are you getting on?

:)

Johnus said:
Some times it's not the blade but the person using the razor!

Of course, nobody's technique is infallible and I'm certainly included in that. All I'm saying is that I've never found feather blades to work particularly well for me...personally. There's plenty of choice out there and as long as there is, I have the luxury of being able to try a blade a few times in various set ups and if they don't work for me, I'm able to move on to try other blades . As I said earlier, it's subjective. Other people get consistently good shaves with them, and they're an incredibly popular blade for a reason, they're just not for me. Life's too short.

Tardisbasher said:
Canuck said:
As easy-oasy as many are about Derby blades, they generally won't irritate but you never know. My "bad" blade was a feather, I had a sore rash for days.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feather blades don't like. I tried them in a few set ups before I eventually gave up and sulked. I just couldn't get on with them. I think it's easy to forget that it's all subjective.
Defender: How are you getting on?

:)

Yes not too bad at all now thank you, I have yet to try some different blades still but I've got much faster with less irritation so my technique is improving by the day. Been using setting 4 for the last few days and will turn it up maybe next week.

As suggested I'm going to order a blade sample pack from Connaught over the weekend as this seems like a good way (and cheap) to try something different.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply.

Back
Top Bottom