Favourite pens and inks?

For special writing occasions - Sailor 1911 Classic with Rhodium Trim along with Sailor Jentle Ink (black).

For day to day writing - Lamy Al-star (with standard Lamy cartridges) or TWSBI 580 (with Diamine Sapphire Blue).

The above are all FP but if I need / want / have to use a BP, then it's a Porsche Design P3110 Tec Flex.

Favourite pen (from an admittedly small collection) is a difficult decision, as there are two which have great sentimental value, but neither is my favourite in and of itself. Sentimentality aside, it's a toss-up between a Parker 45 with a gold Flighter nib bought from our returning manufacturer of Bay Rum AS which is incredibly smooth and is nicely wet (I dislike dry nibs), and a late-'40s US Waterman Stalwart in blue marbled celluloid which, despite being marketed when new as a kids' pen, has a wonderful vintage semi-flex (much more flexible than most modern full-flex) 14K nib. As regards inks, Waterman Serenity Blue isn't an exciting ink, but seems well-behaved in any pen and on most papers. I'd probably choose my most recent ink purchase, Montblanc Lavender Purple, which, despite its name, is a dark plum shade which combines smartness with being something different to the standard colours most of us use most of the time.

I've loved fountain pens ever since I was young. My mother used an old Sheaffer cartridge and I was fascinated. When I was old enough she bought me my own, and it was decades before I knew that there were other, much nicer fountain pens out there.
IMHO it must drink ink from a bottle to be a real fountain pen - bit of a snob.
I don't own any vintage pens, but my favorite pen is a Pelikan.

eu7iCdp.jpg

I use Pelikan brand ink, and my ink color is half and half blue and red.
Rather surprisingly, this does not produce purple ink, but a sort of rusty blood/burgundy shade that I fancy looks ancient...a bit like Diamine rustic brown.

I made the mistake of carrying this pen in my shirt pocket on an airplane. Cabin pressure changes in-flight caused the freshly filled pen to discharge its' contents and frightened both my seat mate and the flight attendant.
~

Back
Top Bottom