Favourite pens and inks?

ChillBill said:
Lol good analogy there Exapno, I've never quite understood why someone would want to get a nice handle and spoil it with a cartridge. I can only assume they don't know there's a better (and cheaper) option by going DE.

I've never used an FP Chris, but would be willing to take a punt on something to see how it goes. Any suggestions guys?

Cheers

B

How much are you prepared to spend?:icon_razz: You can get disposable FPs for next-to-nothing:

Pilot VPen disposable from Cult Pens.

Here are a few affordable options for non-disposable pens (forum software won't let me post links to these, but you can easily Google Cult Pens and The Writing Desk:

Kaweco Sport Classic from Cult Pens

Lamy Al-Star from Cult Pens (other colours available and you can get them at WH Smith)

Lamy Safari, plastic version of Al-Star and also available from Smiths, though a wider choice of colours from Cult Pens

Pilot MR from the Writing Desk

I have a penchant for old Tombow Classics - I think I have 4 - two in silver and 2 in black - with a broadish refill. I heard they did a leather finish one too - but never ever seen a photo of one. Great pen and suits me down to the ground.

I love a big Parker Vacuumatic as well - got a minty one and had it restored - I've no real ink leaning though.

Ratty

I've taken a real shine to fountain pens, and all thing stationery, since I started this thread a few months ago. The great thing is that you don't have to spend big to get fantastic quality items and there's reviews for everything from a superb group of people. A couple of folk mentioned about which pens to go for so I would like to recommend TWSBI.

Truth be told, I sold one and regretted it so much I bought another the next day.

They are great writers, and the company are always working away with improvements (such as the upgraded design from the 540 to the new 580) while creating solid pens, with fancy mechanisms, for sound money.

I have the Diamond Mini, 580 and Vac 700. The first two are piston-fillers and the Mini is a great little pocket/everyday pen. The 580 is a fair bit larger and is also piston action. But, by far, my favourite is the Vac 700. Hard to explain why I like it so much but it's shape, to my eye, is simply gorgeous and the larger nib is impressive. It holds a mountain of ink and the vacuum mechanism is class to use. There are videos on how to get a it filled to the brim and there's also a matching Vac 700 ink bottle available from TWSBI which is a handy piece of equipment to use either at home or fill and take away with you.

I have a Fine nib in mine and, just this morning, have ordered the Medium and 1.1 Stub nibs to match. Shown front here and loaded with Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku (forest green) ink;

Mark

chrisbell said:
ChillBill said:
Lol good analogy there Exapno, I've never quite understood why someone would want to get a nice handle and spoil it with a cartridge. I can only assume they don't know there's a better (and cheaper) option by going DE.

I've never used an FP Chris, but would be willing to take a punt on something to see how it goes. Any suggestions guys?

Cheers

B

How much are you prepared to spend?:icon_razz: You can get disposable FPs for next-to-nothing:

Pilot VPen disposable from Cult Pens.

Here are a few affordable options for non-disposable pens (forum software won't let me post links to these, but you can easily Google Cult Pens and The Writing Desk:

Kaweco Sport Classic from Cult Pens

Lamy Al-Star from Cult Pens (other colours available and you can get them at WH Smith)

Lamy Safari, plastic version of Al-Star and also available from Smiths, though a wider choice of colours from Cult Pens

Pilot MR from the Writing Desk

Thank you Chris, that's really helpful. I did a bit of research on the pens you mentioned and I'm going to give two of them a try lol, the Kaweco Sport and Lamy Safari are reasonably priced and look really good value for money. Plus Cult Pens do some good deals with free cartridges and clips, etc.

Thanks again

B

[/quote]

Thank you Chris, that's really helpful. I did a bit of research on the pens you mentioned and I'm going to give two of them a try lol, the Kaweco Sport and Lamy Safari are reasonably priced and look really good value for money. Plus Cult Pens do some good deals with free cartridges and clips, etc.

Thanks again

B
[/quote]

Remember, Cult Pens have 10% off till 25th December with coupon/code XMAS2013.

Thanks for the TWSBI Vac info, you've got me hooked, only a matter of time before I pull the trigger on this one.

A demonstrator collection is too cool: is the Pelikan in the photo the 800 or 1000 (you need both!)? Aurora also make a demonstrator, any other modern makes available?

cheers Michael

Been reading this post with interest as fountain pens are a bit of a 'thing' with me.
Ive collected many over the years, some well known and some not so and in truth I like most of them.
I couldn't say Ive got a clear favourite as each pen tends to have its own 'character' so I like to have a few on the go at any given time.

Current office rotation:
Picasso 902 (Chinese) with Fine nib and filled with J Herbin 'Terre De Feu'
Mont Blanc MB149 with Medium nib and filled with MB 'Midnight Blue'
Italix Parson's Essential with Medium nib and filled with MB Midnight Blue/Diamine Teal mix

And in the workshop I use
a Kaweco Sport and
a Lamay Safari
Both terrific workhorses that don't mind the occasional bashing
In a week or two I'll be bringing out some of the Parkers, another MB and probably another Chinese FP.

regards, beejay

Just a wee update guys, I've been using the Kaweco and Safari for a few weeks now and they're fantastic.

I am quite surprised I didn't get on very well with the medium nibs, they were far too thick for my handwriting. I had to buy extra fine nibs for both pens.

I quite fancy an ol' Parker 51, it's a bit of a bugger searching on ebay though, as more often than not the nib size isn't mentioned.

Thanks to Chris and Frankie for their help, I just hope I don't have the beginnings of a new acquisition disorder!

Cheers

B

After browsing this thread i am now the proud owner of :

Lamy nexx - med & 1.1 italic nib
Pilot 78g - med nib
Jinhao- x750 med nib
Parker 45 - med nib
Twsbi Mini -1.1 Stub
Twsbi 580 - 1.1 Stub
Italix Parsons Essential - fine italic nib

and so many Diamine inks its scary!!

Favorite by far is the TWSBI 580 1.1 Stub, great pen, great nib.

You guys are going to bankrupt me!!!!

ChillBill said:
Just a wee update guys, I've been using the Kaweco and Safari for a few weeks now and they're fantastic.

I am quite surprised I didn't get on very well with the medium nibs, they were far too thick for my handwriting. I had to buy extra fine nibs for both pens.

I quite fancy an ol' Parker 51, it's a bit of a bugger searching on ebay though, as more often than not the nib size isn't mentioned.

Thanks to Chris and Frankie for their help, I just hope I don't have the beginnings of a new acquisition disorder!

Cheers

B

I doubt you'll find a 51 to suit you if you need a EF nib on a Lamy, as they're virtual hair-line nibs. You may find Chinese/Japanese pens suit you better as their nibs tend to be narrower than the equivalent grade on a European pen.

At this point, my favourite inks are:
- Diamine Denim, an excellent blue-black suitable for all circumstances, including business
- Visconti Blue, a beautiful bright blue (without other colour overtones)
- Diamine Sapphire, a rich, purplish blue
- Diamine Damson, a dusky plum colour
- Aurora Black, a deep, dark black ink (without grey overtones)

Back
Top Bottom