Favourite pens and inks?

chrisbell said:
I didn't like to be the first one to mention Montblanc, but...

I looked at a few Montblanc pens, Chris. And, yes sir, they're beautiful.

What made me go elsewhere was the fact that, as well as not being overly service friendly pens, they're a bit fussy about the warranty and repairs when it comes to users disassembling and servicing the pen.

I'm not so much into seeing how things work as such, but I really do enjoy looking after my stuff and, if needs be, delight in taking everything apart in order to have it working as good as it possibly can be.

Mark

Roefisher said:
chrisbell said:
I didn't like to be the first one to mention Montblanc, but...

I looked at a few Montblanc pens, Chris. And, yes sir, they're beautiful.

What made me go elsewhere was the fact that, as well as not being overly service friendly pens, they're a bit fussy about the warranty and repairs when it comes to users disassembling and servicing the pen.

I'm not so much into seeing how things work as such, but I really do enjoy looking after my stuff and, if needs be, delight in taking everything apart in order to have it working as good as it possibly can be.

Mark

Of course - thing is, I'm so ham-fisted it's probably a good idea for me not to fanny around with it.

Just in case you didn't have enough Youtube channels to folow, a few fountain pen-related ones:

Stephen Brown

Goulet Pen Company

FPGeeks

All well worth a few minutes if you can spare them. Stephen's reviews are always illuminating and often very amusing in a dry, satirical way. Brian and Rachel Goulet are US retailers of all things fountain pen-related, and their reviews are very informative. Finally, FPGeeks seems (though I'm not a member) to be the direct equivalent of TSR, as compared with Fountain Pen Network which is more of a Badger & Blade type of forum.

Another pen which i forgot to mention that i have a few of is the Esterbrook "J" Series, produced up until the 1950's, come in some nice colours, very well built and they are like the Parker 45 in the fact that you can unscrew the nib easily and replace it with whatever one takes your fancy.

they are a nice pen to write with and even my horrible scribble looks a little better using one.

Esterbrook was an American company, but founded by a Brit from cornwall no less !

6953797267_eccbdf697e_z.jpg

Fountain pens! :D

My latest acquisition was a Lamy Persona. It's currently filled with Lamy Turquoise.

Today was Pelikan day; I had two birds with me, both filled with a blueish ink. My favorite colors for the office are blue, brown, and green.

I have a M200, a modern M400 (ivory and tortoise), and a 1950's 400 (green and black). The M200 has a fine nib, the M400 an OM, and the vintage 400 has a most delicious OB nib!

In the past, my favorite brand was Skrip, but not so much since it's reformulated (already years ago again). I tend to use Lamy and Pelikan 4001 inks quite regularly nowadays.

Just when I think I have most of my shaving related ADs under control and am looking forward to saving some money for a change, I stumble upon this section of the forum. Sigh. I only have one fountain pen, a Lamy Accent. I bought it over 15 years ago from a shop in Nottingham. At some point the clip on the lid got broken off and it eventually ended up back in its box at the back of the drawer.

This year, I dug it out and thought about repairing it. A few emails (and about £25 later) and my Lamy Accent is back in action. It's been 'serviced', the clip/cap has been replaced but most importantly, the original silver coloured grip has been exchanged for a black Indian rubber grip which is much more comfortable. I've been thinking about adding a Lamy Safari to the collection and I may have to purchase the Lamy 2000 (truly a work of art) on my next significant birthday... oh my, this is going to get expensive.

I'm a big fan of the Lamy Safari. Lovely smooth, low maintenance pens. I've had a few now but only a pale grey with a 1.5mm Italic nib is still in the land of the living - I ran over the last one...

Just pulled the trigger on a Osmiroid 65 and was thinking of dipping a toe in some Diamine ink, Onyx Black and Chocolate Brown. A combination anyone has experience of? The 65 and Diamine ink I mean not the inky toes.

I've been buying cheap FP's from China, polishing and setting up the nib myself. It has been fun, but then I am easily amused.

My favourite ink at the moment is Diamine Havasu Turquoise.

Got the Osmiroid and a the Diamine inks but so far I'm still using the blue-black ink that was in it when it arrived. I picked a twisty ink thing up for my Lamy at the same time so I'll have to clean it up and try some in that.
The Osmiroid has an fine oblique nib that is taking some getting used to but looks very fine when I get it right.

Back
Top Bottom