Favourite pens and inks?

Just started using Diamine pumpkin in combination with my orange safari and a z4 converter. Very pleased with the ink, though I believe Diamine has zero water resistance. Will definitely be getting more z4 converters - the twist action is much better than the plunger type I used to have in my Osmiroid school pens. Now also have an opal green Nexx M on order to go with my Lamy turquoise carts- the weight and shape of the Nexx seem to really suit me.

My only fountain pen is a Parker 17 I've had since my school days, almost 50 years ago! Could be tempted by one of the Lamy models though.

7473627228_2297508909.jpg

FrankieG said:
My only fountain pen is a Parker 17 I've had since my school days, almost 50 years ago! Could be tempted by one of the Lamy models though.

7473627228_2297508909.jpg

I have just bought the " Lamy " Dialog 3 they are a fantastic pen, the German workmanship is outstanding. And a dream too write with..........

This was bought to complement my other retractable pen a " Pilot Fermo "
both a joy to use.

Charles U.K

Damn damn damn.... Read this thread and brought a Lamy pen, converter and 4 diamine inks...enabled again! Wife and daughter had a bet how long it would take me to buy a pen after talking about the thread... Not sure who won the bet, but I guess I will be poorer for the experience somehow!

I have another Lamy Nexx M on the way. I think the Opal green cap will match my Turquoise ink nicely. I have a z4 converter in the orange Safari now filled with Diamine Pumpkin, but trying to hunt down an orange capped Nexx M without having to pay over the odds. Personally I think these budget Lamys are excellent value and great quality for the price.

In case anyone wondered the z4 is a twist fill converter rather than the (messier in my experience) plunger type such as the basic Parker model which would also probably fit. In case anyone wondered the long Parker Quink cartridges fit the safari but the top is a little too broad for the Nexx so they get jammed in the barrel.

Johnus said:
Lamy Nexx?? Aside from the cosmetics , is there any or much difference in the way its technically designed? Or how it writes?

Uses the same nibs as the Safari but I prefer the weight to the safari (aluminium vs plastic) and much prefer the rubberised grip. To me the Nexx just feels that bit better made and thought out. Although supposedly shorter than the safari the difference without the cap posted is marginal and the Nexx is still longer than the Parker vector for example.

Personally I wouldn't buy another Safari (though it IS a great pen) but I do have some motor difficulties so perhaps the Nexx suits me better because of this. Another feature I like about the Nexx is that when you screw the barrel on it pushes the cartridge "home" so you always know your cartridge is inserted correctly. Also works with the z4 converter but would imagine you might have problems with a plunger type converter.

The Diamine 'factory' is down the road from me. I popped in and collected my last order, very friendly people.
I have a Montblanc 220 on order, they are supposed to be similar to the Lamy 2000. I'll report back when I receive it.

johant1968 said:
The Nexx is promoted as a school pen; the successor of the ABC. They share the same nib unit, but with a very different body.

IIRC the safari used to be (still is?) also promoted as a school pen. The safari, vista, AL-star, nexx, linea, cp1, accent, studio, logo and joy share the same nibs so really it comes down to barrel preference (and price) which you go for (though obviously the likes of the joy is more suited to calligraphy and thus is supplied with appropriate nibs but a safari nib will fit a joy and vice versa). The ABC can take these nibs as well, but apparently the nib supplied with the ABC is of a slightly different design to make it more suitable for learners which would explain why the z50 nib is not advertised as being a replacement for the ABC. Love the idea of a wooden barrel though!

Ordered myself a Faber-Castell Loom in orange yesterday as I want to keep the orange Safari "good". The Orange Nexx M appears to have alluded me (nobody seems to have stock as its out of production) so plumped for the Faber-Castell instead for 20 quid on Amazon. Always fancied a Faber-Castell fountain pen so this seems a good place to start. For my wallets sake I hope it doesn't lead to many more!

tarbyonline said:
Always fancied a Faber-Castell fountain pen so this seems a good place to start. For my wallets sake I hope it doesn't lead to many more!
They don't like being alone :icon_razz:

That being said, it was not really needed to remind me of the Loom ;) ... I also still want to have a Faber Castell pen in my "small" collection!

Lamy safari . My lime green medium nib just came in. Using it now with the disposable cartridge that came with it. Think that it might take a while to get use to.
Short follow up... Used the pen again for a short time. Still not impressed by the nib. Took a quick look at it and it seemed fine even . Etc. will continue to try.

Back
Top Bottom