Feather AS-D1 and shims

I find that very strange when many people can shave perfectly well with that razor, I would say it's purely down to poor technique of the shavers, I have followed threads on this razor where the new owner couldn't even shave with the razor, yet one month later he's proclaiming it's the best thing since sliced bread, yes It is different to a lot of razors, but It's not that difficult to master.

Jamie.

Thanks for that answer, Jamie. The razor does seem to get some very good reviews. Seems with all razors (regardless of the reviews) that you just have to try it yourself... and stick with it for a while.

I did have one of these razors but I found it too mild for me and I tried every angle imaginable, almost to the point I had a protractor on it lol, I really did like the razor, the weight of it etc but I just found myself having to buff a lot of certain areas even after numerous passes and I had one of my worst cases of razor burn using this razor, so I eventually sold it. So if you consider that I now use an R41 and a slant and I still have to use three passes to get a really close shave you can understand the trouble I had with this razor. Don't let that put you off if you're thinking of buying one though, it just wasn't for me.

It does have a particular angle, but once you find it, then it does deliver nice close shaves with little irritation.

I guess the question is for a razor costing so much should it be so difficult to find the precise angle needed ?

KrisH said:
It does have a particular angle, but once you find it, then it does deliver nice close shaves with little irritation.

I guess the question is for a razor costing so much should it be so difficult to find the precise angle needed ?
Totally agree with you there, once you find the angle it's great but unfortunately it was just too mild a shave for me.

I need a 3 pass shave to get a close shave with an R41 or a slant, so I get on well with aggresive razors. I can also get a good close shave with a Feather AS D1, with three passes. Its no good if I have more than a days growth though, unlike the more aggressive razors which do cope with more growth.
I find the AS D1 a mild razor, but still very effective.

Lose the beard said:
I need a 3 pass shave to get a close shave with an R41 or a slant, so I get on well with aggresive razors. I can also get a good close shave with a Feather AS D1, with three passes. Its no good if I have more than a days growth though, unlike the more aggressive razors which do cope with more growth.
I find the AS D1 a mild razor, but still very effective.

I just have a very awkward cheek/jawline area on one side of the face and it's a swine to get it, the R41 is the best so I alternate it with the slant.

IanM said:
If you have to go to the trouble of using shims you've bought the wrong razor.

Ian

Sorry Ian but I must disagree strongly. An EJ89 gives me a decent shave for around £20 but for the time spent snipping off the cutting edges of a spent blade, it gives me a great shave. Perhaps I could have sold the EJ, bought a Weber and just maybe it would have been better straight out of the box? However, it costs a lot more, doesn't support British manufacturing and our economy and they're not readily available either. Then I would have had to try and sell the EJ, making a loss on the way. Shims are simply a cheap way to tune a razor to an individuals needs as there is very likely not one razor or razor head that suits absolutely everyone. Just as some hate the Derby blade, others find it ideal. There are a number of adjustable razors out there and shims are just a basic form of adjustment.

I was advised to try a shim in my Jagger by a very experienced DE shaver and I am very pleased at the results. The wrong razor, no. The not quite ideal razor sorted by an easy user modification? Definitely.

Should I buy a carving axe but in use, I find the edge is not quite right for me so I file it down, reshape it and hone it till I get the desired results. Wrong axe? No. The helve of said axe is just a little too slippy so I carve facets into it and its perfect. Simple user mods that work are a factor in so many of the tools man uses.

I hope you don't see this as a rant, chief.

Your shimmingly,
The Double Chin Negotiator :D

Never really knew much about shims (apart from the occasional reference) until I started this thread. I must say that I would be prepared to add a shim to a £20 razor to tweak it a bit, but I'd be a bit annoyed if I had to do that on something I'd spent £160 on. I'm a bit ignorant on this... do you put the shim above or below the blade? I'm assuming inderneath it and it will open up the gap a touch.

Yep Steve, below the cutting blade and as you rightly say, it opens the gap a tad. I agree with your views on £160 worth of razor needing a shim to get it right. However, imagine this scenario: you've lusted after one of these beauties for a long time, you think the aesthetics of it are simply gorgeous and you just can't imagine yourself having any other. You even love the stand and the whole package is your absolute ideal so your order it in eager anticipation. It arrives and after several weeks, try as you might, you just can't get it to shave close enough despite your good technique so you contemplate selling it and switch to using another razor. However, every time you enter the bathroom, there she is gleaming at you in her stainless steel sleekness with those looks you just love. You so want this razor to work because of the amount of money it cost but more because you find it the ne plus ultra in the beauty department. You resign yourself dejectedly to posting an advert in BST then someone tells you of a free modification that won't ruin the razor and is as easy to do as kiss your hand. A shim! You try it and it gives great results so you feel your £160 well spent rather than a loss in waiting. A few months pass and although you start to feel that it its too much money for a razor that needs a shim, you still love the looks and the shave is now great. Others may not agree with you but ultimately you're happy.

I've read on another forum although I forget which, of one guy who loved the look of his Feather but sold it because it was just too mild for him. Months later he heard of the shimming idea and wished he'd kept his and tried it. Maybe it would have been ideal, maybe not.

Tried shimming the Rocket HD today but to no avail, still not close enough and an irritated neck. I'm definitely in the minority here as most folks consider this a great shaver and I definitely lusted after one. Perhaps my technique needs a lot of work with this razor but as others suit me so much more, I'll cut my losses and try to move it on.

The long-haired Sergeant Major is demanding I cut down to two razors but Im campaigning to keep three. So far the two definite keepers are the Jagger with JEC handle plus shim and the Gillette #77 sans shim. I quite like my ER 1912 but obviously it takes different blades; the big aluminium U guard Myatt shaves really well with no shim but is a pain to jam a blade into; the Old type is a nice shaver but I have to fiddle with the blade to get it evenly exposed each side. Right now, the Old type is winning out.....but that could change.

Stupid question (there is an amnesty thread for these types of questions!) but when I tighten an Old Type up there is no blade gap. O find I have to loosen it just a fraction which hardly sounds right? I have another Old type tucked away until Santa says ive been good enough so I'd like to resolve it. Probably me being thick!

It wasn't me but if I'd have known about shims I'd have given them a go because like you said Graeme they're a lovely looking Razor, I even contemplated keeping it just to use for touch ups but I couldn't justify keeping it just for that, Mind you I got mine for a lot less than £160 so I didn't feel the pain of paying that much :icon_biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom