Feather AS-D1 and shims

Gairdner said:
Yep Steve, below the cutting blade and as you rightly say, it opens the gap a tad. I agree with your views on £160 worth of razor needing a shim to get it right. However, imagine this scenario: you've lusted after one of these beauties for a long time, you think the aesthetics of it are simply gorgeous and you just can't imagine yourself having any other. You even love the stand and the whole package is your absolute ideal so your order it in eager anticipation. It arrives and after several weeks, try as you might, you just can't get it to shave close enough despite your good technique so you contemplate selling it and switch to using another razor. However, every time you enter the bathroom, there she is gleaming at you in her stainless steel sleekness with those looks you just love. You so want this razor to work because of the amount of money it cost but more because you find it the ne plus ultra in the beauty department. You resign yourself dejectedly to posting an advert in BST then someone tells you of a free modification that won't ruin the razor and is as easy to do as kiss your hand. A shim! You try it and it gives great results so you feel your £160 well spent rather than a loss in waiting. A few months pass and although you start to feel that it its too much money for a razor that needs a shim, you still love the looks and the shave is now great. Others may not agree with you but ultimately you're happy.

I've read on another forum although I forget which, of one guy who loved the look of his Feather but sold it because it was just too mild for him. Months later he heard of the shimming idea and wished he'd kept his and tried it. Maybe it would have been ideal, maybe not.

Tried shimming the Rocket HD today but to no avail, still not close enough and an irritated neck. I'm definitely in the minority here as most folks consider this a great shaver and I definitely lusted after one. Perhaps my technique needs a lot of work with this razor but as others suit me so much more, I'll cut my losses and try to move it on.

The long-haired Sergeant Major is demanding I cut down to two razors but Im campaigning to keep three. So far the two definite keepers are the Jagger with JEC handle plus shim and the Gillette #77 sans shim. I quite like my ER 1912 but obviously it takes different blades; the big aluminium U guard Myatt shaves really well with no shim but is a pain to jam a blade into; the Old type is a nice shaver but I have to fiddle with the blade to get it evenly exposed each side. Right now, the Old type is winning out.....but that could change.

Graeme... who have you been taking enabling lessons off? I do rather fancy a Feather AS-D1.. but that sort of stuff is not helping at all. Anyway... I had a couple of glasses of wine last night (I don't normally drink) and woke up this morning to find that a Gillette Fat Handled Tech is arriving tomorrow!!! Personally, I think it may need shimming.

You may wish to negotiate with Mrs Gairdner... but my current position (on all my "hobbies") is that three is an ideal number of gadgets to have... there is a certain pleasing symmetry to the number. After that it's strictly "one in,one out". Or you could try pulling a fast one and use the same handle on a number of different heads... as long as you hide all the other handles.

Three...is the magic number!

I simply could never afford the Feather AS-D1 but if anyone can and lusts after, why not? We only get the one innings so swing that bat! I'd never get £50 for a razor past the Mrs never mind £160 even if I could afford it! She is still smarting from the gradual introduction of my JEC handle.

Good luck with the Tech, Steve. For me, it was the mildest razor I've tried so I may have been tempted to try two shims if I still had it. It has the best handle out of all the vintage razors that have passed through my hands. It went to a great cause, helping n1vlo teach his son to shave. :D

I'm definitely a blue collar DE shaver so if a shim sorts it then hooray for free mods.

Lusting after an AS-D1 is free! The problem is, if I did buy one, is I won't have the money to spend on other things. I was originally against vintage razors... but I find I'm getting increasingly hot under the collar about them... keeping away from TTOs at the moment (less to go wrong)

The Tech will probably pop up in "Acquisitions" and I hope I'll be able to use it tomorrow... without shims to start with

I know what you mean about vintage razors. I still don't know a thing about more than half of them but the lust is there. I'd especially love an open comb Aristocrat but alas.......

I absolutely love my as-d1, I'll try other razors, but always come back to it. I get a great close two pass shave with no irritation.

I can get a bbs from a three pass, but then don't need to shave everyday, so two passes and I get to shave every morning.

I have an AS-D1 and tried quite a few shaves but found it too mild.... I couldn't even get it to remove the lather most of the time.

I then discovered vintage Gillette adjustables and now have 7 of them (I must stop buying them) and love using them... However I'm tempted to try shimming the AS-D1. It's a great looking razor and this could be the answer.

So just cut off the cutting blades a few mm in with some wire cutters to make a shim?

My original "wrong razor" remark was somewhat "off the cuff", and I was interested in seeing what reaction it got :icon_twisted:

As with everything, it's always a horses-for-courses thing. Whatever works for you is what you should use.

Personally, if I buy a razor and is doesn't do the job without modification, then it's not for me. I have little time and even less inclination to start making shims to modify a tool that's not working for me. If you like a bit of fettling, then go right ahead :)

Ian

OK, I'm at the stage of take it out every now and then but still can't get a close shave from my As-D1. Shimming sounds crazy but ........

I've picked up that the shim is a trimmed used blade beneath the shaving blade. My engineer's mind immediately wants to know the width of the shim blade because clearly this makes a difference to the shave/blade support and curvature.

Is this a trial and error experiment to find what suits the individual or is there a prescribed width? What is the best way to trim the cutting edges off a used blade?

Jist whack 'em off with scissors, Carl. If it's not perfectly even either side, put your engineer's mind back in its box and have a shave - it works tha' knows. My used English Wilkie blade now shim isn't even but it works just fine.

Ian, you are a very bad man and I fall for it every time! You are absolutely right though, each to their own and I'd defend that right for anyone even if I thought they were chuffin' nuts. You decide what to do but if you don't try a shim, I'll send the shimonster round to hack at yer bits with a stick of blunted blades! Ooh, Mother! :angel:

Well, that's tomorrow's shave sorted then, thank you! The shim width is best kept at just narrower - a borehair less - than the head bed, that much is immediately clear. What is going to make the difference to the shave is the blade used for the shim blade. As with shims everywhere, it's the thickness that counts! I'm starting with a Rapira Swede - because it came out of the used blade bank first - under a Belzano Super - on an irritated neck (used a New Improved and a New this morning for the first time in ages and I remember now why it's been ages).

NotTheStig said:
Stupid question (there is an amnesty thread for these types of questions!) but when I tighten an Old Type up there is no blade gap. O find I have to loosen it just a fraction which hardly sounds right? I have another Old type tucked away until Santa says ive been good enough so I'd like to resolve it. Probably me being thick!

You're not being thick, the blades were back then.

Or shim away.

IanM said:
My original "wrong razor" remark was somewhat "off the cuff", and I was interested in seeing what reaction it got :icon_twisted:

As with everything, it's always a horses-for-courses thing. Whatever works for you is what you should use.

Personally, if I buy a razor and is doesn't do the job without modification, then it's not for me. I have little time and even less inclination to start making shims to modify a tool that's not working for me. If you like a bit of fettling, then go right ahead :)

Ian

I'm tempted to agree with you.... However some razors look too good to abandon. Some look too good and were too expensive to abandon! I really like the look of the Feather and am tempted to try shimming before abandoning and maybe selling...

Well - it worked! That was the best shave yet from my As-D1! Far from BBS but a very acceptable 'office shave', for all that.

The most important thing for me was that at last I can see the angle required for these razors - the shim brought the angle down sufficiently that I can see where I need to go. I can do the easy strip below my sideburns well enough, cheeks not bad but the curvature of my neck defeated me in maintaining the so very obtuse angle - this time.

Does anyone have a micrometer? Can you please tell me the names of blades thicker than a Rapira. A bit more shimming is in order!

Could it be that to learn with a shim fitted would eventually enable one to use a 'difficult' razor as designed?

Back
Top Bottom