Feather blades... wow... just wow...

Want to thank JohnnyO as well as hate him for making me need to buy a ton of new blades :p. as well as some other PIFs I got some Feather blades and wow the closest shave I have ever had.

Used following:

Brush - NF 2201.
Razor - Merker Futur - Feather blade.
Cream - Coates shaving cream.
A/S - Old Spice (beige bottle)

got to say first time using coates (also thankyou JohnnyO) and this cream is so slick and feels incredibly soft on the face.

After 3 shave passes, I honestly couldn't feel a bristle left, these blades are amazing.

Your not the only one who has found these this week.

I too was Pif'd some of these a while ago, but due to the hype/mystique and part fear, they stayed in the cupboard waiting for a time when i had more experience. Well i Loaded a Tech with one last week and lightly passed it around my face. This resulted in a very smooth and irritation free shave. The following day i loaded the same blade into my rocket HD and using Henks dutch moss had a very fine shave. Never had time to shave yesterday, so missed a day, but lathered up with Henks again this morning, and using th same combo as Saturday had, without doubt the finest closest most irritation free shave i have had in the last 5 months. I think today i had a glimpse of shave heaven.
I had worried about using them all this time.
I am glad i waited a while, as the improvement in my technique must play a big part in the results, but am i very glad i found these now.

I wonder how much of this come from having a beard that grows in many different directions. The sharpness of the blade cuts straight through hairs that are caught in a less than favourable direction without lifting the skin and causing the irritation. They are also ultra smooth.
What can i say Navana has been reached. :D

You need to shave for a week with Feather blades before counting your chickens.

The first few shaves may be excellent, but some gents have found that, over time, they can irritate.

As Johnny correctly states, don't push a blade past 3 shaves.

Ian

I will take on board the 3 shave only rule, I do this already so no great shakes. I normally only shave every other day so would be interested to see if the experience changes over time. I wonder how much of that is complacency. Loose the respect for the tool, get slack and bingo, burger meat. :D

For some reason I've never seen them as a daily shave, I save them for a weekend shave when I have lots of time. They are the sharpest blade I've tried, but they get used once and then binned. (After using one on a Saturday, I may not get the chance to use it again for a week or two and I'm not keen on using blades that have been immersed and then left for ages).

Maybe it comes from a combination of fear and respect, I'm not sure, but I've never fancied having a go with one at 7 o'clock on a Monday morning.

A Futur and feather is an aggressive set up capable of scalping anybody to be honest. If you can repeat that result shave after shave without recourse then you may well have found your nirvana.

antdad said:
A Futur and feather is an aggressive set up capable of scalping anybody to be honest. If you can repeat that result shave after shave without recourse then you may well have found your nirvana.

The nick under my Chin... well I felt the cut, but after quick bit of alum stick was fine, beyond that not a nick or cut anywhere, really was an amazing shave, my 'stubble' today feels like it would after a quick shave with Weishi and normal blade, so honestly I would shave with these like every 3 days and be fine.

Only have a couple at the min and they seem expensive, so will buy a few more but use sparingly.

Does anyone know if there is any just as sharp but cheaper?

trainman said:
I tried theses blades and found them to be to sharp for me,irritation beyond belief,i gave away what i had left to a fellow forum member.

Dave.
+1 same here,still use them occasionally if i aint shaved for say 4-5 days due to laziness :D but find them too sharp and aggressive for every day use.

I didn't think they were orders of magnitude sharper than the rest (based on the hype surrounding them) - yes sharper but also they suffered more than a little from "crash & burn" when the initial sharpness wore off and for the price not exactly awe-inspiring.

Would I use them again, yeah, but I have a heap of other blades that I'd use in preference first.

Hiya,

The Feather blades are just too sharp for almost all the razors I use. Much as I like the idea of slicing even more easily than usual through my whiskers, the Feather isn't a good fit. They're even too much for me in a Tech.

I did use that blade in an extremely mild razor (Feather Popular), and the sharpness was tamed enough to take any discomfort or worry about nicks away. Turned out to be the best blade for that particular razor.

I will use a Feather blade fairly often in my fatboy. I can dial in the exact amount of bite, plus the head design turns that blade into something that's a joy to use. I was surprised when first trying that blade in the fatboy, since I was expecting the worst. Man....it's magical.

Martin

I tried one last week, kindly pif'd from Man of Leisure, first shave was absolutely fantastic, easily the best shave I have ever had, even with a progressing technique, but the second shave was like shaving with an off cut of Freddie Krugger's broken finger nail!

Excellent blades but with a short life span in my experience. I will keep the remainder "for best".

Back
Top Bottom