First DE shave & slight problems

Yesterday I joined TSR and this morning I had my first DE shave using the "cheapoo Boots DE" under £5, just to see how it would go.
Well, very close shave BUT I did get an ever-so slight nick on lower middle of nose, so I have to be careful; however I feel that the razor is 'aggressive' or because I have sensitive skin to a certain degree, I stroked upwards under the chin and now have a shave rash/"hot" area. Perhaps I should have kept to down strokes only, otherwise I think I need to search for a razor that perhaps is kinder blade-wise. Any advice/comments would be very well appreciated.
Victor.

Hi Victor, welcome to the forum, here's a few thoughts which might help.
Firstly, don't expect or aim for the uber-smooth shave for a while, just use short strokes of the razor in the same direction as the beard grows (With The Grain or WTG).
The boots razor is pretty basic - I'd suggest you have a look on the Buy Sell Trade section of the For Sale part of the forum, decent used razors often crop up there. Or have a look for an Edwin Jagger de89, or a Merkur 34c - there are various online outlets where you can buy one of these excellent razors for a reasonable sum.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-12704.html has a list of them

Finally it's worth mentioning Mantic59 - a fellow DE shaver who has made lots of instructional videos on the art of shaving - have a hunt on the net for his videos, watch and learn.

Good luck and happy shaving!

Stick to with the grain at first and no more than 3 until you get the technique would be my advice. I'm a couple of months in now and I've only just worked up to 2xWTG and one XTG ( Across(X) The Grain ) The only time I tried ATG was sore! But hey I get the closest, most comfortable shaves I've ever had so...

If you are trying to do it on the cheap Victor, I have a Lord Razor (LP1822), the one with the Merkur style head. You could have a go with it and then pass it on when/if you get something better. Its a bit like the poor man's Merkur 38C and a good one to start with, not too aggressive with a nice long handle.

Count of Undolpho said:
Stick to with the grain at first and no more than 3 until you get the technique would be my advice. I'm a couple of months in now and I've only just worked up to 2xWTG and one XTG ( Across(X) The Grain ) The only time I tried ATG was sore! But hey I get the closest, most comfortable shaves I've ever had so...

If you are trying to do it on the cheap Victor, I have a Lord Razor (LP1822), the one with the Merkur style head. You could have a go with it and then pass it on when/if you get something better. Its a bit like the poor man's Merkur 38C and a good one to start with, not too aggressive with a nice long handle.

I would be delighted to try the Lord razor, especially if its not too aggressive.
Thank you for your really kind assistance.

No problem just PM your address and I'll drop it in some Isopropyl alcohol and drop it in the post. What blades are you using? if you don't have any different ones, I'll put a small selection in the bag to try out.

I'm assuming you are in the UK Victor if not I might have to ask for postage.

Count of Undolpho said:
No problem just PM your address and I'll drop it in some Isopropyl alcohol and drop it in the post. What blades are you using? if you don't have any different ones, I'll put a small selection in the bag to try out.

I'm assuming you are in the UK Victor if not I might have to ask for postage.

Hello again,

The only blades I have came with the Boots packet & have no makers mark on them.
I would like to thank you for your kind generosity and will hope that I can return the favour.
The hotness is slowly cooling down and will take your advice with short WTG strokes.
Thanks again and will keep you posted on progress.
Best wishes
Victor.

Thank you for the advice, I think thats exactly what I did wrong, as I was so used to the cartridge razor, and against the grain for my neck. Will not do that again!!!
Thanks for all your kind tips and help/advice.

It takes a lot of practice not just to get into the new technique bit also to break the old habits - worth it though. Mantic's Youtube videos have been mentioned but also try Geo Fatboy.

BTW Welcome.

Welcome aboard. Prep whiskers too - recommended shaving after shower but at the very least a couple of mins with a hot towel/flannel to soften the whiskers (which are apparently as tough as copper without being softened). Get a good lather with your soap (nice soft peaks to it) and map the area of your grain direction. Leaving a couple of days' growth makes it easier to feel where it grows in which direction. Put this on a basic post-it by your mirror to remind you and shave with the grain and across the grain and get comfortable with that first.

Take your time, practise slow - learn fast and use no pressure but a decent razor is needed to get the best results - DE89 for instance but other options could be a Gillette Tech (vintage razor that is mild too).

Good advice from all the above.

An excellent phrase to remember is 'progressive beard reduction'. You are aiming to gradually reduce the growth over three passes. Those of us who have been doing it for a while generally (but not always) do a with the grain, then across the grain then against the grain to finish.

However for the first few weeks don't worry about that. Three with the grain passes and following all the advice above will give you very reasonable shaves with no irritation. Don't try to run before you can walk!

What pre/post goodies are you using?

Ive recently started to DE shave, I have only used Proraso products atm but for a starter it would be well worth getting some pre/post shave cream, and an Alum bloc as well.

I had my first ATG pass the other day after sticking to 2 passes (1 WTG + 1 XTG) and got mild bit of burn but nothing of any note.

Patience is the key. Take your time and find a technique that works for you.

Some very good pointers from people.

I second the geofatboy videos, for me I prefer them over mantic59s.

I suggest you watch mantic59 videos on youtube, he is really good in explaining how you should shave, how you need make a lather etc, he will explain it all in very understable video's.

I suggest you watch the serie for beginners, http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608&feature=plcp also I think you should buy an good safety razor as already has been suggested, vintage ones are good and brands like Edwin Jagger to, I started with Edwin Jagger DE89L.

And remember it will take some time until you get experience with your shaving technique, so don't try ATG yet, only do WTG and repeat that for a second pass, but als you need make a good lather.

Hello evryone,
I am sitting in the local library as my computer went Kaput and just after only 17 years!!!
But I must keep-up with the posts on the forum.
Have to thank you for an amazing amount of help & advice which in todays age is absolutely refreshing and makes me feel part of a great community of dedicated shaving connisseurs. Just to report that I have acted on the advice and, well I must say, this is what real shaving is about!! I have not repeated the errors of my first day and it is great. Feel fresher, cleaner, with a sparkle for the rest of the day. I am now going to build on all your fantastic help.
I am now looking for collecables to start a fascinating area of interest, and of course add/replace the Boots cheapoo that I am using.

Back
Top Bottom