Food

Funny - I've been "tangled up" in two Parades...

Once I was on a train to Glasgow and the crew deserted at Motherwell to join the parade :shock:

The other time was Hebburn on Tyneside where the local L.O.L. (surprised me that there even was one) decided to march and the entire populace that was on the street at the time stood there with their backs turned to the road. That was the first & last time they marched.

Russell, I know what you mean. The 'supporters' who follow the parades are, often earthy and colourful. Not really my cup of peppermint herbal infusion - although I have appreciated the medicinal qualities of a bottle of Buckie. :)

MP

Aaah, or should it be agh! The bionic tonic. That stuff is the bane of my life. Few years ago, politicians in West of Scotland visited Buckfast Abbey and 'asked' the monks to put their elixir of death into plastic bottles. The Brothers stopped their monking for a wee bit, had a blether, a prayer, then did bugger all. Eventually they were embarrassed into it and reduced the strength. Guy in Lanarkshire in '80s attempted a defence on a murder charge. Defence was.... Yup, Buckie.

Even here outside the Buckie Triangle it occasionally rears it's "heid" - usually some scrote outside the off-licence asking if you can buy it for him. (They ask in error if they're asking me :lol: and get a précis of why I'm not buying it for them, and of course I alert the staff to the external scrote fixture that they didn't know they had)

Well done HM

Wish they were a few more like you. Had kids a few weeks ago come up to me in a froth of excitement. Russell, Russell they cried ( they know my name!) a dastardardly cowan has accepted our dinner money, bus fares, pocket money etc in exchange for lashings of cheap mind numbing bevvy. The swindler has bought his own cargo with our hard earned and foxtrot oscared with it, help us, help us. Trying to hide my glee, the scallywags were informed of matters of the law ref attempting to purchase alcohol under-age. Crestfallen could not describe it. They really thought I would rescue their carry out for them and return it to them. Oldest 15, youngest 12. Still, managed to nab the guy who had the drink, which, without any bidding was poured away in front of all.

I was shocked to be asked for ID to buy booze myself for the first time ever last week (since I started buying an occasional pint in my local pub when I was (look away now Russell) 14). Major panic on my part - less than 18 months from being 40 and looking every day of it - eventually located my photo driving licence after a major rummage though.

I keep getting mistaken for the police - dunno why, last contact I had with them was a SMIDSY* on the pushbike with a Lothian & Borders patrol car on an urgent cross-border out-of-jurisdiction mission** across the Border, which ended badly for the driver when I arrived at the RVP when I reminded him loudly (but civilly) of the content of "Roadcraft - A Police Driving Manual" & the Highway Code on passing cyclists.

* Sorry mate, I didn't see you - aka a close shave.
** the pie shop in the first village over the Border in England attracts the Scottish Ambulance Service, the L&B Fire Service and LBP

I went to an off licence near my mum in the east end of Glasgow on the way home one evening after visiting her (it was about 9:45 and they would be closed by the time I got home). There were three young girls down the street from the off licence and one asked,

"Here mister can u get us a carry oot?"

I said "Are you old enough to drink?"

she said "Aye"

So I said "Then go buy it yourself then".

I was half way down the street and could still her the language that was definately not learned in the swiss finishing school for young ladies.

Talking about drink, was at the Springsteen concert last night at Hampden. Was a good concert, but, we were so far away the concert was watched on the screens. £60 a brief, time for a wee think about the next one, anyway, had a refreshment or 11 before and during the gig. Was on German wheat beer, Erdinger, blimey, it was all the too's, too easy too drink, too tasty, too dear and too f&$^£?@ much.

"Work, curse of the drinking classes"
Mr Oscar Wilde

Yup
Bruce was on for 3 hrs. Can't complain about the quality, always a good show. A guy I know seen him play in the states a few years ago, 4hrs 45mins. :eek: Put's the newer guys to shame with their 90 minute sets.

Broooooooooce!

Back
Top Bottom