Gannet squad alert! New formula - TESTING

N

n1vlo

just my observation

sample arrived this morning in fine fashion...love the tin..wish they all did this

the smell is sublime to my nose...a hint of grapefruit maybe...very pleasant and not over powering..its a like

i ran this side by side with one of my favourite soaps INSTITUT KARITE..

i used my muhle synthetic as this gives a tremendous amount of lather..first go with IK...this had 20 swirls on the tips only to give a very light bare minimum of product to the brush. dipped tips into hot water and proceed...as i thought lots of silky lather leaving a very slick shiney look to my ugly mug..removed lather with length of fore finger to remove soap...as this leaves a residue which one can quite easy use...shave is as ever,,,very nice

did the same with nanny's sample...20 swirls and apply...not as much lather this time but not far behind...not as shiney to look at...but this is obviously a component issue, not the product. Wiped excess off using the same amount of force i can possibly gauge...seemed to remove more but still leaving enough slickness to shave with...other half of face shaved very nicley indeed with full soap applied

if i were to give INSTITUT KARITE a 10 i would definitely give this a 8+

plus points for me are the scent, light and summery...the consitency of the product is very nice...the colour is the way i like it

would i buy....most certainly, and will...not knocking other vendors but this ticks my boxes..i have proraso klar some french ready for the bin this is a keeper

razor used ...Progress with rapira blade

well done and thank you

Thanks for the generous sample Sharon.

As per my usual, since my mail doesn't arrive until afternoon, I am posting first impressions with a full-shave review to follow tomorrow.

The scent is lovely, mild and grapefruity. Very nicely balanced, neither too little nor too much.

I had to do a test lather, of course. Muhle synthetic and soft water.

The brush loads very easily as one would expect with a soft soap. I worked up a lather in a bowl. The soap is very easy to lather and absorbs a great deal of water without undue thinning. I noticed that the lather was very white, which I think indicates a small bubble size - a good thing. Painting the lather onto the back of my hand showed a very cohesive film, remaing thick when spread.

This is very promising, but the acid test comes tomorrow with a proper shave.

Fail or grail? Well, so far definitely not a fail!

See tomorrow's exciting episode.....

Thanks Globalm; can't wait for the next installment. :)
Don't forget I'd love suggestions for a name for this, if it 's as good or better than my current two (Original and Olive oil). The scent is irrelevant to the name.

I quite like 'Holy Grail' myself, but will need all the f/b yet to come before deciding whether that would be too presumptuous. I think Grail on it's own wouldn't be understood by most people. Not sure if Christians would be offended though? So early days I suppose, for a name. It might yet be simply 'Fail' and back to the drawing board for me. :)

My sample arrived today, I wasn't expecting it to arrive that quickly :)

I really like the scent, my preference is a mild scent and this one was great, not too little and not too much.

It took a while to load, purely due to the size of the tin and me trying to load a 26mm 2-band brush.

I always face lather with cold water and this soap produced an excellent slick lather.

After i finished, i waited approx 30 minutes before putting any aftershave on so see if it dried my skin out..nope no drying for me, just excellent feeling skin.

All in all a very nice soap, i'll be picking up a full size tin once i've run down one or two of my current soaps (I only keep a small selection of soaps at a time).

Thanks for letting me test this one out :D

Steve

soapalchemist said:
So early days I suppose, for a name. It might yet be simply 'Fail' and back to the drawing board for me. :)

I know you like it when I help, so what about something with the word 'pinnacle' or 'apex' or there abouts in the name.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to offer something extra special, like adding cane toad EO as an option. Face lather up 10 minutes before the shave for best effect. I think that would be a good draw.

Marly B

Cheers Gravy, sounds all good. The small tin is a problem, people could dispense into a larger pot to make a better comparison? If bowl lathering a blob, definitely smear it well into the bowl so it is stuck and smeared, otherwise you'll have it breaking up and hiding in the brush. I use the smear and stick method, and it works well.

soapalchemist said:
Does suds not have laundry/wash house connotations? Suds just sounds too bubbly and not foamy. Or is that just me?

Yes it does and I would probably avoid a shaving soap called 'Suds' but I couldn't think of anything else which even partly rhymed with 'blood'!

I'll try to think of something more sensible!

Well, there's 'crud'....maybe not.
Marly, what's with the cane toad thing? Are you beset with them? Or do you just dream of making a blow pipe and taking out some old enemies?

he's been licking too many of them! they produce a hallucinogenic substance on their skins you see, our old Martin breeds the things for his own use, which is why he keeps using perfectly good and serviceable razors as fishing sinkers. I'm pretty sure he also mixes it with some of the very lovely AS samples he sends everyone, gets them addicted then sells them a bottle at twice the price! Perhaps you should try some in your soaps? ;-)

soapalchemist said:
Well, there's 'crud'....maybe not.
Marly, what's with the cane toad thing?

Now don't go fergittin 'mud' and my personal favorite, 'pud'.

Here's a short educational video regarding the toads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xd9CnUK3jA

My interest makes sense now I bet.

Bones

Back
Top Bottom