German razors = Nazi supporter?

Was it really issued to submariners ? Like the Veg being for cavalry troopers . I love the info that finds its way onto this forum.

JohnnyO. o/

At the shipping works where I used to work the "cleaners" would refuse to set foot into a submarine until a few days had passed after arriving back after a stint at sea. I'm thinking they'd need something a bit stronger and longer lasting than 4711.
Interesting anecdote though (I'm hoping it's true) and a great scent is 4711.

At the shipping works where I used to work the "cleaners" would refuse to set foot into a submarine until a few days had passed after arriving back after a stint at sea. I'm thinking they'd need something a bit stronger and longer lasting than 4711.
Interesting anecdote though (I'm hoping it's true) and a great scent is 4711.
Look up 4711 on Wikipedia, not that it necessarily means it's true.

The Nazi Regime ended in May 1945, modern Germany is a democracy, and a pretty liberal one at that. Does buying a Audi, a volkswagen, a Bosch Fridge or Braun Blender make me a Nazi!!? Does driving a Mazda make me a supporter of Japanese Imperialism!!? WW2 ended 70 years ago! Maybe that Pere Lucien Soap I bought makes me a supporter of Napoleon.

With regards to Vintage or Antique razors Merkur and Dovo were making razors before the Nazis seized power and unless the razor has a Swastika on it, then it isn't a Nazi razor.

This is obviously totally ignoring the fact that the Nazis stole the Swastika, which was I believe a Hindu symbol for peace and is used as such by many eastern religions. It can be found on Japanese razors having nothing to do with Natziism(I do like a nice ism):rolleyes:

Was it really issued to submariners ? Like the Veg being for cavalry troopers . I love the info that finds its way onto this forum.

JohnnyO. o/
Pinaud is a venerable men's grooming company, having been established — if you believe the label — in 1810 by French perfumer Edouard Pinaud. But since Pinaud himself wasn't born until sometime around that year, one assumes a bit of poetic license is being taken by the brand. He also soon bought the Legrand Parfume House, established in 1810 and thus lending him his new date of founding (something common, again, among whiskey distillers and, perhaps not oddly, academic universities). Still, it's been around for a long time. Pinaud opened his first shop in Paris in 1830, and in 1833 his “lilac vegetal” product became so popular with the Emperor Napoleon that the ruler had Pinaud appointed “Royal Parfumer,” and the company's Lilac Vegetal after-shave became the official facial pick-me-up of the Hungarian cavalry. Never mind that Napoleon had died in 1821, and that Napoleon III, while alive at the time, wasn't in France and didn't have much of anything to do with Hungary's cavalrymen. But what can you do? Let truth get in the way of a good story?

Likewise, 4711 is a copy of Farina Gegenūber's Eau de Cologne, and until fairly recently, (until 1845) they used the Farina name as well. Farina Gegenūber has been around since 1709, which makes their 'Eau de Cologne' aka 'Kölnisch Wasser' the original 'cologne.'

The "used by German submariner's" reference appears to come from a vintage photo, which shows a 4711 bottle recovered from a sunken World War II German submarine. That photograph hangs in the salesroom of 4711 in Cologne, Germany. Of such things are legends born.

Dunno .......... Don't those tins of Lynx have plenty of alcohol in them? ........ Can't use the rubbish ...... smells fine until the scent wears off (which isn't long) and then my pits ming even worse ........

Back
Top Bottom