German razors = Nazi supporter?

My grandfather served on a Destroyer in the Pacific campaign of WWII. Came back with a chest full of medals and a serious loathing of anything Japanese made.

He told me that on board his ship, no one started reading a book, as they were all convinced they would die before finishing it. He would wake in the night screaming after the war.

He suffered from Alzheimer's in his latter years. Didn't recall much, forgot his own wife...but one of the nurses was Filipino, and every once in a while, he would say to her, "we saved your islands from the Japs, didn't we?"

Anyway, I like Sushi and Feather blades, but I'm not a big fan of German razors or German razor blades. The Germans do make nice shaving brushes though. :)

You should try some German razors made during WWII or shortly after... cracking... :D
German blades are shite though.
I suppose you have a point. I have an Apollo four-piece West German travel razor and case. It's quite well made and gives a decent shave. I also had a Hoffritz Slant from the same era. The shave was terrible and the razor itself was quite mangy and pitted.

I don't want to know how many people give up DE shaving after buying a perfectly good Merkur razor and trying it with the sample blade included :eek:
Yes indeed Andreas. It is one of the great ironies in wet shaving - the juxtaposition of Merkur razor and Merkur blade is quite remarkable. I find it inconceivable that someone at Merkur agreed to sign off those razor blades.

I got one of the chaps at work into DE shaving, despite being given a selection of blades he *likes* the Merkurs! I can only assume that it's a masochistic thing and that his internet browsing habits would veer towards the exotic...

Back
Top Bottom