Gillette Super Silver

Just found some Gillette Super Silver Blades, old style on the redneck stock exchange (ebay) at the moment. £13.99 for 50.

Plenty more available, looks like someone has found a hoard of NOS.

Nothing to do with me, Just thought you'd all like to know.

Jules

trainman said:
That is way too expensive for Super Silvers,at the market in Birmingham i get them for £5.00 per 50,this good news for me as i think i may be one of the few people who like this blade.

Dave.

Yep, one of my favourites too. Any chance you could get me some? Alternatively buy the lot off the guy at the market and undercut the bloke on ebay and charge £10.00 for 50 with free P&P!

Jules

Madness! I've never got my head around the appeal of becoming attached to a blade they don't make anymore.

I have some of the famous old "Swedes" in my cabinet, a lot of people online (not just here) rave about them and some go so far as to say it's the best blade ever produced. I was lucky enough to win some in the TSR raffle last summer.

You can imagine my first shave, the excitement at trying such a rare and legendary blade. The anticipation of what something this good could feel like. Just how smooth would I be?

My result? A very standard, incident free shave. A fairly smooth chin with no cuts, and no discomfort. No singing cherubim, no rays of heavenly light coming through the window.
So a bit like a 7 o'clock yellow then. Except they still make those.

(Yes, I'm duty miseryguts for Thursday night)

Canuck said:
Madness! I've never got my head around the appeal of becoming attached to a blade they don't make anymore.

I have some of the famous old "Swedes" in my cabinet, a lot of people online (not just here) rave about them and some go so far as to say it's the best blade ever produced. I was lucky enough to win some in the TSR raffle last summer.

You can imagine my first shave, the excitement at trying such a rare and legendary blade. The anticipation of what something this good could feel like. Just how smooth would I be?

My result? A very standard, incident free shave. A fairly smooth chin with no cuts, and no discomfort. No singing cherubim, no rays of heavenly light coming through the window.

Yeah, I take a similar stance. I've worried about saying this a few times, but eventually all it comes down to is that it's just a shave - a fairly routine activity.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hooked on trying all manner of products that have opened up to me since I opened my eyes last year, but all this talk that Product A is a million times better than Product B, I find hard to fathom.

I'm just happy to accept there are a plethora of products out there that are going to give me a decent and enjoyable shave. That's all I need. I'm not bothered about the 'optimum combo' or anything.

I do think some products can be over rated.

Father Ted said:
Are they? I hadnt noticed.
You didnt get on with them then?

I could manage maybe one very sore shave at best i think my old grey whiskers are getting choosey, they seem to only yield to feathers these days. But saying that as you know we're all different i'm one of the few that dont knock derbys and cant get on with astras they will for sure suit some folk.It may be the wheelie bin that's gonna end up liking them the most.

Canuck said:

Why don't you flog your Swedes then? Like you I don't go in for the 'unobtainium' but a decent blade is a decent blade.
For me the 7 o'clock yellow is very similar except (and it's a big one for me) the first pass is quite rough. Puts me off them a bit.

I would buy your Swedes (for a sensible price). I like them!

There's only 3 boxes mate, (2 complete boxes of ten, 1 has I think 7 blades, I'll check). Not worth bothering with to list them or photograph them. They're yours if you want them, I'm not into stuff that's gone the way of the dodo, send me an address and they're in the mail tomorrow.

I don't feel that "first shave roughness" on a yellow that many mention. I might just be a very un-discerning blade user, you never know.

Canuck said:
I don't feel that "first shave roughness" on a yellow that many mention. I might just be a very un-discerning blade user, you never know.

No, I cant say I do either. I have enough Yellows, Super Thins and Polsilvers to last me a few years, in addition to rather a lot of bleue extras which I like too. I have also discovered the Russian Platinums which I quite like and seem cheap and readily available. I keep having to resist the temptation to buy more as what I have will probably outlast me.

Canuck said:

Hmmmmm.

I think we are all here because we wanted a more comfortable shaving experience, aren't we? So whats 'mad' about keeping your eye open for something that is hard to find, but you know will provide that comfort?

Besides, If we didn't feel sentimental about things that are not made anymore, most of the razors that we all use would have been binned years ago.

Jules

Julese34 said:
I think we are all here because we wanted a more comfortable shaving experience, aren't we?

We're here for varying reasons Jules, but yes that is one of them for many of us.

Julese34 said:
So whats 'mad' about keeping your eye open for something that is hard to find, but you know will provide that comfort?

First of all don't take "madness" too personally... eccentric was probably a better word. I don't attack people that like NOS blades, I just find it odd.

But seriously, can you not find a current production blade that provides a really comfortable and smooth shave?

The main point I was getting at is that there are super blades out there now and I personally don't believe there was some golden blade age that we've lost.

Canuck said:

Hey Hoser, take off eh? (said in my best Mackenzie Brothers accent),

So let's say you have a favorite blade...one that's the control blade for new razors. Easy to come by, not expensive, and widely available. For me that's an Iridium. although the SharpEdge is right up there. Nice having an Iridium supply once again, although I already have a few from a while back.

So let's say you try a blade that's as good or maybe even better than your favorite. Why wouldn't you want to at least have a few around for a nice change of pace. Yeah, I'm talking about sealed packages of blades that have never been opened in who knows how long. We are talking cootie free here!!!

You don't see the attraction to something like that, even if they took a little tracking down sometime to buy em right? The idea that another blade equal to your top one may still be out there......I guess that doesn't gnaw at you. Heh, I know there's no chance of you seeing my point of view, so no problem. Don't worry about me trying to force you into trying the most wonderful blade you can imagine...... Like buttah!

Speaking of Swedes, I believe I mighta mentioned selling em all after trying the Iridium. Up till then they were my go to blade, but the Iridium performed even a little better and was less than half the price to boot. Back then the Swede 5 pack was being sold for $4 per pack, which was quite a lot.

So does your lack of enthusiam for NOT currently made shaving items also extend to the razors you shave with? Any old Gillettes and the like in your arsenal perhaps? Most of those are gonna be at least 30 years old, and some much older. Plus, my God, think of the cooties factor! Yeah, you had actual people using em on their faces.......how creepy is that?

Heh, just goofin on you a bit Canuck. I know you'll never agree on what's correct.....

Dodgy

Back
Top Bottom