Gillette Super Silver

Lol Dodgy, and bless ya.

"So does your lack of enthusiam for NOT currently made shaving items also extend to the razors you shave with?"

Haha, yeah pretty much mate. I'm a modern razor man. I love Merkurs and Jaggers... I got rid of all my old Gillettes etc last year, I loved the way they worked, they were amazing pieces of engineering, but not great shavers (in my opinion).

Canuck said:
First of all don't take "madness" too personally... eccentric was probably a better word. I don't attack people that like NOS blades, I just find it odd.

But seriously, can you not find a current production blade that provides a really comfortable and smooth shave?

The main point I was getting at is that there are super blades out there now and I personally don't believe there was some golden blade age that we've lost.

Oh, I'm happy to to be called mad, because I am :) it's just that I didn't associate looking out for old blades as a symptom of my madness!

Seriously though, to answer your question, No I have not found a modern production blade that I lke yet. The only blades that I have found to be good for me are the Super Silvers, Gillette Platinums (although this is a relatively new discovery) and some Blades that I got from a store in the USA when we went to Florida a couple of years ago that I cannot find anywhere else.

Maybe thats a sign that I have not tried enough different blades, but to be honest I get so hacked off with a bad shave that I don't experiement very often, and tend to stick with what I know works. Hence why I get excited when I find Super Silvers on the redneck stock exchange!

Regards

Jules

dodgy said:
So does your lack of enthusiam for NOT currently made shaving items also extend to the razors you shave with? Any old Gillettes and the like in your arsenal perhaps? Most of those are gonna be at least 30 years old, and some much older. Plus, my God, think of the cooties factor! Yeah, you had actual people using em on their faces.......how
I suppose its a bit weird, but no more weird than living in an old house (previous owner of our house hung themselves from a rafter in the loft through the loft hatch and dangled over the stairs, wasnt discovered for a couple of weeks and left a brown stain on the stairs which if we have the carpet up is still very evident - does it stop me living here and raising a family for the last 17 years? Ummm, nope.)
Its an old razor, most of us drive cars that have had at least one previous owner, its just been loved and passed on. Its testament to its construction that its still going strong.
I have old razor blades in my stash, I wouldnt pay a fortune for them if they came on the market again today, there IS current stuff that I like. But if its cheap enough I'll give it a try, if I like it I'll stock up - current or not.

Not sure I'd like the stain, even if it was obscured by the carpet.
Still, I hope you got the place cheap. What spin did the estate agents put on the hanging corpse when they did viewings? "makes an interesting conversation piece"?

NotTheStig said:
Not sure I'd like the stain, even if it was obscured by the carpet
The stain has been bleached and scrubbed but you can still see it when the carpet is up - thats been 3 times in the last 17 years so its not a regular thing!!! The only way to get rid would be to rip the stairs out and put in a new set and thats not going to happen any time soon.
Yes we got the place cheap, a full 12K less than the neighbouring property which was up for sale about the same time, though much of that had to do with the decor of the place than the bloke who hung himself. Think internal stone cladding in the living room on a wall 20' x 8', think Avacardo bathroom suite, think orange kitchen units with brown swirly wall tiles, think Hessian wall weave wallpaper in all bedrooms and woodchip on the ceilings, think artex on the bathroom walls that you could use for climbing, think non working gas central heating. And you would be close. No wonder the other guy topped himself (well, in reality it was down to his wife leaving him for another woman). So the 12K saved got sunk into redecorating the house anyway.
The estate agent was quite up front with us when we viewed the house, it put my wife off a little bit but when she saw how much house we were getting for the money she was convinced - though she did have the local priest come in and bless the place sprinkling holy water about before she moved in.:icon_rolleyes:
On the plus side we have the largest plot of all the surrounding houses and have used it to extend into over the years.

Father Ted - going so far off topic that you need a telescope to see it since 1984

Off topic but interesting though!
Why were there so many avacado bathroom suites? My memories of the growing up in the late eighties is predominantly of these suites. Thankfully wallpaper was better, although also suffered artex.

NotTheStig said:
Off topic but interesting though!
Why were there so many avacado bathroom suites? My memories of the growing up in the late eighties is predominantly of these suites. Thankfully wallpaper was better, although also suffered artex.

House over the road came up for sale last year and for a while my wife and I seriously flirted with the idea of buying it (3 Bed Detatched with big garden and plenty of scope to extend) and we were shocked to find that not only the bathroom had an avacado suite, but the downstairs loo did as well!

We always thought the the people living there were very up to date - the kitchen was very modern and staylish.

Baffling.

Jules

Well, picked up the super silvers that I ordered off ebay from the post office this morning and had a shock. These aren't the NOS blades that I thought they were, but the new Russian versions that seem to be getting quite a bad press.

Oppps.:blush:

Oh well, live and learn.

Jules

Back
Top Bottom