hello forum from life long cartridge shaver

Cheers. It just that eBay was the first place I looked
You can get good gear on eBay but you need to know what you are looking at because there is a lot of rubbish being sold though eBay, not all of it just some of it, so just beware, normal rules apply ....if the deal seems to good to be true ect.... And shop around....eBay is not always the cheapest or best.

If you want a quality razor that will not break the bank and that will stay with you giving consistently good shaves I would buy a Muhle R89. They are good value good quality and easily found. Pair it with a decent blade and you will get lovely shaves from it. Have a look in local chemists or boots and you will get Wilkinson Sword blades for not a lot and as said pair this with a Bodyshop brush and some of their Macca Root creme and you are off. All that should come in around £35-40. but you will get a heck of a lot of shaves from that. Or look on Ebay and get a used Gillette Tech razor, usually less than a tenner. Great razor to start with.

If you want a quality razor that will not break the bank and that will stay with you giving consistently good shaves I would buy a Muhle R89. They are good value good quality and easily found. Pair it with a decent blade and you will get lovely shaves from it. Have a look in local chemists or boots and you will get Wilkinson Sword blades for not a lot and as said pair this with a Bodyshop brush and some of their Macca Root creme and you are off. All that should come in around £35-40. but you will get a heck of a lot of shaves from that. Or look on Ebay and get a used Gillette Tech razor, usually less than a tenner. Great razor to start with.

Wayne I ordered the muhle R89 after your recommendation. Many Thanks

Welcome along buddy :)

For a quality brush, @mervyncadman is your man. He made me two earlier in the year and I couldn't be happier. Best purchase of wet shaving hardware I've made. Cost a few quid, but worth every single penny, and then some.

As for soap, try plenty as not all people have the same experience, same as blades. You don't have to spend a bomb on soap to find a good one. As others have mentioned, Palmolive sticks are great value and can be found easily. I personally love @phoenixandbeau (Phoenix & Beau) / @OSP (OSP Soaps) / @Fox (Wickham Soap) soaps. All British artisans, all fantastic soap.

Welcome along buddy :)

For a quality brush, @mervyncadman is your man. He made me two earlier in the year and I couldn't be happier. Best purchase of wet shaving hardware I've made. Cost a few quid, but worth every single penny, and then some.

As for soap, try plenty as not all people have the same experience, same as blades. You don't have to spend a bomb on soap to find a good one. As others have mentioned, Palmolive sticks are great value and can be found easily. I personally love @phoenixandbeau (Phoenix & Beau) / @OSP (OSP Soaps) / @Fox (Wickham Soap) soaps. All British artisans, all fantastic soap.

I looked at the SOTD thread for ideas and ordered some Saponifico Varesino 70th anniversary soap.

It was for no better reason than I liked the look of the tin

I am very much enjoying my DE shaving experience so far. I have never thought of shaving as something that can be enjoyed before.

So far I have only been using a cheap Chinese razor with a Wilkinson sword blade, a Palmolive soap stick, a £1.70 brush from boots and nivea aftershave balm. I now have on order some more expensive items (mid range stuff).

I think my technic with a blade razor must have already been pretty good as I have not had to change it much. One thing i have learned is to re lather between passes. This was not not necessary with canned shaving gel and a cartridge razor. It also does not take me much longer to shave with the DE than before. But my beard is relatively soft I think. I do concentrate more on a DE shave and it does feel more luxurious. I do hope I will still enjoy it as much once the novelty factor has worn off. But having said that this forum has opened my eyes to an endless amount of products to try so I guess it wont be to hard to keep it freash

Up untill last week I had always used a cartridge razor and I have been happy with them. I did not think there was much of an alternative. At 44 years old there was no real need to change now. But I got fed up with the stupidly high price of blades that have been spiraling up.

After a quick look for an alternative I thought I would try a safety razor. A cheep £6 ebay butterfly razor arrived in post with some Wilkinson sword blades.

Still using aerosol shaving foam I have been impressed with the results. A much closer shave than the mach 3 I was using.

I now want to buy some quality kit and I would like to hear any advice on what to get.

Cheers phil
Welcome :)

My muhle R89 arrived in the post this morning luckily before I had shaved. It was alot heavier than my cheap ebay razor and the quality was obvious.

It was more aggressive that my other razor and gave an even smoother shave. But I did get a couple of small nicks. The alum matches that came free with it soon sorted them out however. And I thought that the only remedy for this was small squares of toilet paper (I am not joking either)

I got a razor sample pack with so I can experiment with those.

It all came from an online shop called the shaving lounge. I don't know if anyone else here has used them as I did not see that name in the retailers section of the forum. But everything was delivered in a nice sturdy box. Is this typical? I did get some perfume for my wife in the same post from a retailer via amazon. But this was just suffed unimpressively into a jiffy bag and I was lucky it was not damaged.

Hi Glad you like it, always difficult to recommend something just in case the person doesn't like it. I was pretty safe with the R89 I think though. The secret to shaving nick free is to lather up and use just enough pressure to remove the lather. The blade will do the work. Happy shaving. :D

Back
Top Bottom