Hello

Hello, hello!

Stumbled across this place recently when I was looking for new blades for my DE razor, I'm new to it all. Previously the only razor I've ever used was my old Gillette Sensor that I've had since my first shave. Bless. (I do have a Phillips electric but that only gets used if I'm in a rush and already running late.)

I thought I'd give DE a go and picked up an aluminium ball end and a gorgeous nickle plated Tech with it's original turquoise leater case from a charity shop (they've both since been cleaned and properly sterilized). Wilkos turned up a Palmolive shaving stick for 49p and a pack of 5 laser blades for 40p. Boy it's cheap! I got a Wilkinson Sword brush, I didn't want to splash out on badger in case it wasn't for me. Well I'm hooked! For years I've made my own shaving oil, a mix of almond oil with essential oils, I never liked gels or foam. I now get up early just to have a proper shave, the whole routine, there's something religious and relaxing about it. The local Tacky Maxx had some Taylors Sandle wood shaving cream for £5, I now smell like I remember my grandfather used to, funy how it brings back memories.

Is it just me though or do razors shave differently with the same blade? The aluminium one doesn't leave my skin feeling as sore, I have tried both a few times. It could just be down to my technique though.

It's time to buy more blades and Gillette 7's get good write ups so I've got some yellows on their way. Anything else worth trying? I know people rave about Feathers but I'm only after a good every day blade and sufficiency over optimisation (and assosciated cost) suits me.

I've tried to attach a pic of my razors, it may have all gone wrong.

Cheerio all.

i didnt really like the synthetic wilkinsons brush, you can pick up a boar hair brush cheap that a lot of people perfer (i cant coment on only have 1 synthetic,1 cheap boar and 1 cheap badger)

Hello and welcome to TSR.

There are many on this forum who will lead you in to temptation with their talk of luxury soaps and creams, and of razors of all types. It can become a very expensive "hobby" this shaving mularkey. :blush:

Cheers,

Gordon

Yeah those Lasers have a really bad press, you should like those Gillettes, they're a really good blade. And yes, all razors shave differently, hence why we all own loads of razors!

Welcome to TSR, hope we can be of some help.

Razors, like most things, vary. So the same blade will perform differently according to the type of razor you use.

Welcome to the forum and prepare to be tempted to try many of the suggestions you will find here. If saving money is on your agenda, don't spend too much time browsing!

Canuck said:
Yeah those Lasers have a really bad press, you should like those Gillettes, they're a really good blade. And yes, all razors shave differently, hence why we all own loads of razors!

Welcome to TSR, hope we can be of some help.

I have only tried Lasers, Treet (carbon steel ones), wilkinson sword, an supermarket brand personnas but I didn't find the Lasers all that bad. And at only 40p a pack whats not to like?

Welcome read and learn. Use what you now have. You'll be tempered to buy more. Think about it before you do. They've made millions of razors over the past century. If one gets by there are many more from where that one came!

Hello tadpole and welcome ,
I only started DE shaving several months ago , its a good job it was never my intention to save money because I have spent a fortune , what I wanted was a quality shaving experience several times a week with little or no irritation and or ingrown hairs .
I am glad to say I have cracked it now and am reaping the benefits .
Regards ,
Derrick

Back
Top Bottom