Hi all !!!

D

Doe Moran

Hi, just started my double edged blade journey after using mach 3's for years.Thought I would try and shave like my Pops.
Bought a Muhle R89 and some Derby blades and Merkur blades, and some of the Truefitt and Hill cream.
Using a brush my Da gave me but will invest in a Badger soon.
Problems so far , getting the cream to lather properly and shaving the area around and under the chin.(Trying to follow the Mantic You tube Vid's)
Will probaly have a few heads fried on here with questions but hopefully you will go easy on me.
Cheers Doe.

Welcome to TSR Doe

Making lather is trial and error. Be prepared to use up some cream just practicing with a bowl. Make sure you put a decent almond size blob in to start with. Then just play around with variations in the amount of water you leave in the brush - you can add more water as you go along. Ask as many questions as you wish and you will get a lot of helpful advice here.

Welcome! I'd echo with what Fido says about lathering - start lathering with a fairly dry brush, and keep adding water a few drops at a time. Feel the lather between finger and thumb - if it feels slippery and doesn't let you feel the patterns of ridges on your finger and thumb too easily. As you slowly add more water whie working the lather, you'll get the feel of when it moves from being too dry to being ideal, and then when it becomes too wet and thin. Don't be afraid to use some of your cream to just practice making batches of lather - it may seem wasteful, but you'll gain the ability to consistently mix good lather.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Will practise the lathering up process.
How do you go about shaving around the chin area were the chin curves around to the neck.??
Thanks again
Doe

Hi Doe and welcome to The Shaving Room! I used to practice making bowls of lather, as Chris and Fido suggested it is better to start off slightly dry and add water till the lather builds up.

As for shaving under the chin......... Practice, practice practice................:-/

Even now I don't always get it right...........

Doe Moran said:
Thanks for the advice so far.
Will practise the lathering up process.
How do you go about shaving around the chin area were the chin curves around to the neck.??
Thanks again
Doe

Try using facial contortions to flatten the area - use your facial muscles to push the lower lip up against your top lip. This flattens the chin out and helps you shave down to the apex of the chin. Then, looking upwards to flatten the skin on the upper neck, you should be able to make the next series of strokes from the apex of the chin down onto the upper neck. As others have said, it really is a matter of practising and finding what works for you.

Thanks all again.
Caught a reflection of myself gurning at my computer pushing my lower lip up.
Of all the things I thought I would be doing today :icon_razz:
Will definitely try all the advice on the next shave.

Doe Moran said:
Thanks all again.
Caught a reflection of myself gurning at my computer pushing my lower lip up.
Of all the things I thought I would be doing today :icon_razz:
Will definitely try all the advice on the next shave.

A bit of gurning is almost essential when DE shaving, as mantic says, it's a question of flattening the skin so that you reduce the amount of shaving you do on curved areas. Also, don't be afraid of going horizontally along the jawline and across the chin.

Back
Top Bottom