Hi all !!!

A quick update.
Practised the lathering up process.Still getting the hang of all this.
Think could be making it a bit dry but could be down to the brush as well.
The gurning/face pulling procedure helped alot around the chin area.
I definitely find by trying to create a straighter area to shave is helping .
Thanks for the advice and will be giving this another bash tomorrow evening.
Doe

Welcome Doe.

When you get a new brush, make a few practice lathers with it to help break it in and just get some practice.

With the chin, don't be afraid to attack it (gently!) from several angles. Also, don't aim for perfection too soon.

Had another bash last night.
The lather was still not the best but the shave turned out ok.
Had to go over and around the chin area for a few passes but got there.
Had 3 days growth to contend with but am not a particularly hairy brute.:icon_razz:

I am using the Truefitt and Hill Sandlewood cream and one of the Body Shop Brushes at the minute .
How do you find the cream and what is your lathering process with it??
I changed to a Merkur blade and it seems a bit better than the Derby one that came with the R89.

Thanks again to all.
Doe

I predominantly bowl-lather creams, though I should point out that I haven't used that particular one.. Half-squeeze the brush after you've soaked it, and start workig the cream in your cup/bowl of choice. If it's a tub cream, you can go one of three ways:

1. Swirl brush on cream, then transfer brush to bowl and start lathering.
2. Dig a little fingernail-sized dollop of cream out of the tub, place deep inside of centre of the knot, then work brush i bowl.
3. Put blob of cream in the bowl and work it from there.

If it's a tube of cream, you can either squeeze some into the bowl or the centre of the brush knot and work it in the bowl.

Whichever way you choose to go, add water a few drops at a time from the palm of your hand and work the lather until it is smooth, with no large bubbles visible, and glossy or opalescent. To check that it's the right consistency, take some between thumb and forefinger - it should feel cushioning and slippery. If you lift your brush quickly from the bowl, there should be a peak of lather on the brush that will wobble slightly if the brush is shaken. If the peak is short and stiff, the lather needs more agitation and 3-4 drops more water. If the peak collapses and runs around, the lather is too wet.

Of course, you can face-lather creams just as easily. Either swirl the rush in the tub/squeeze some cream into the knot from the tube and start working on your face, or put some blobs on your face and introduce the brush.

Hope someone can help me here again.:s
After the last shave the skin around my mouth and near the chin got really agitated and broke out in a few spots.
I shaved last week after 3 days growth and it started to happen and when I shaved again it has got worse.

It has almost cleared up .I think too much aftershave balm, the No7 stuff was not helping and now just wash my face with the no 7 cleaner and then splash on some bay rum.
My skin surprisingly hasnt really dried up and is clearing up.

I think the problem was down to not getting a close enough shave and making too many passes, probaly with bad technique and a dodge lather.
I forgot that I tried that king of shave pre shave oil as well on the second shave day before lathering up..
Hope this saga makes sense:icon_razz:
Has anybody had similiar problems with skin iritation from these products??
I would just like a clean shave with no agitation.
I didnt have this much grief with the mach 3 but I want to persevere with the Muhle.
Cheers Doe

I get that sort of irritation around the corners of my mouth in the moustache area if I shave against the grain there, even slightly against the grain causes me problems. So is it possible that it's not the products you are using but more how you are shaving those areas that is causing the problem?

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I would say it probaly is my technique.
I didnt go against the grain but had problems getting the stubble off the area.
I went over the area a couple of extra times with the lather not being great down to my own inexperience.

I suppose it could have even been the blade.Was using a merkur blade for the 3rd time.

I think I will try with a new blade and work on the technique of lathering and shaving with the DE more.

Doe Moran said:
I didnt go against the grain but had problems getting the stubble off the area.

I have trouble with that area too. Last week I made the mistake of going slightly ATG to try and get it smooth and paid for it. Still some irritation left over now and that's despite me not shaving for a few days afterwards. I knew it would happen but the rest of the shave was going great so I pushed it. Lesson learnt this time hopefully. :blush:

A quick update.
Used a new Merkur blade last night.
Applied my lather and started shaving, when got to around chin area noticed the shave was giving a bit of friction.
Washed off remainder of lather, used a little bit of anti friction shaving gel as a base.Lathered over it and shaved.
Was much better.
Applied a good splash of bay rum.Burny burny.!!
Glad I kept going with the DE now.
Will need to keep working on the lathering process.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom