Hi im new and need advice pkease

Greetings

You are in my opinion using products that are all generally considered to be pretty forgiving and middle of the road. The Wilkinson is not the greatest razor but is easy to use and I doubt that is the problem.

You clearly are not getting a reaction to any of the products so I suspect you are scraping your face rather than shaving it. By this I mean (as someone has already said) shaving at the wrong angle. The advice they gave about angle is sound. If this does not eventually cure your problems I am at a loss to think of anything else, it does sound to me that it has to be a technique problem.

Regards
Dick.

Cheers dick. I do find the blades ive tried very scratchy on my face. I guess im to used shaving with cartirdges and still adopt the same policy With the de. I am trying to find the right technique but still not there yet. As I mentioned earlier its only been a few weeks. But I take in all comments and help from all you guys who know what your talking about. Thanks

My biggest mistake when starting out 12 months ago was trying too hard.

In that I mean, with cartridge razor, the Mach 3, I was a one pass and touch up shaver. 5 minutes and smooth.

This is not going to happen with DE. Now I am used to stubble reduction being the aim.

A with the grain pass feels like no shave has occurred, the sink tells a different story.

After the across the grain then things feel better, if you can, leave it at that, if not another across pass opposite direction.

Ignore against for now, and remember the beard will probably not grow North to South in all areas. I have a picture which you can print off, and mark beard growth direction on.

It is useful for the first few shaves, to remind you of growth direction. For example, if I stick to North/South on my neck, I will shave bits of my neck with, across and against the grain all in one pass.

PM me and I will email the picture...... If you think it will help.

Oh, and welcome!

As Hairsuite says beard mapping can help to make sure you're not going ATG when you don't want to. Are you sure you're getting the lather right? I've not used the wilki blue bowl because most people here say it's next to useless. Have a go at bowl lathering so that you have more control over how the lather builds up. Cold water shaving helps me get a closer shave with less irritation but it's not for everyone. If I were to go back to carts I'd get a sensor excel and try and see if any of the cheap supermarket clone blades would work for me.

benthespaniel said:
I genuinely can't think of anything worse than a picture of Hairsuite's Heid! Especially the front, mind you it would keep the kids away from the coal fire!

At least mine would fit on A4 paper Mr Spaniel!

And it is not my face......., though I could arrange a picture of me for your bedroom ceiling.

Just to keep Mrs Spaniel interested.....:icon_razz:

Welcome. You've had some good advice so far; all I would add is that it might be useful to use each of your soaps and creams (with the exception of the Wilkie Blue Bowl which is crap), but actually shave with your cartridge razor. If this provides you with minimal irritation and a decent shave then you can focus on razor and blade choice and shaving technique.

I have stopped using the blue tub of Wilkinson sword as I realised It is crap. Im using palmolive cream mostly As I get a good lather from it. Mapping my beard is something ive already done previously and im aware it changes up at the bottom of my neck. Even when using cartridges I always go with the grain going from bottom to top just on that bit and from top to bottom for the rest. As mentioned earlier cartridges are fine but its the de razor and blades that cause bad razor burn. I know my technique isnt great as its still early days

Valetudoguy earlier mentioned I should try 2 razors but they where very expensive if it turns out I don't end up sticking with this de shaving. I was willing to try an edwin jagger de89 on amazon at £16 as it was not a big loss at that price and the reviews are great for beginners. Better than my Wilkinson sword black pkastic one.

Razor burn is usually caused by using pressure, the wrong angle, or over-shaving the same area too many times.
Avoid going against the grain for the time being, so you can rule that out. Sort out the other factors I mentioned & if you still get irritation then I'm at a loss.

pgachapman said:
I have stopped using the blue tub of Wilkinson sword as I realised It is crap. Im using palmolive cream mostly As I get a good lather from it. Mapping my beard is something ive already done previously and im aware it changes up at the bottom of my neck. Even when using cartridges I always go with the grain going from bottom to top just on that bit and from top to bottom for the rest. As mentioned earlier cartridges are fine but its the de razor and blades that cause bad razor burn. I know my technique isnt great as its still early days

Valetudoguy earlier mentioned I should try 2 razors but they where very expensive if it turns out I don't end up sticking with this de shaving. I was willing to try an edwin jagger de89 on amazon at £16 as it was not a big loss at that price and the reviews are great for beginners. Better than my Wilkinson sword black pkastic one.

Just a quick question here, you are tightening your razor's head on the blade snugly aren't you?

Regards

Chasmo

Hi.

I tried again this morning and used as little pressure as possible. Still lot of stubble and not smooth but I got less irritation. I just went WTG and ATG. Ive been reading up alot on razors and looking to buy an Edwin Jagger DE 89L as they say its a far getter shave than my wiki plastic razor and good for beginners like me.

Sorry meant XTG

Back
Top Bottom