Hones specifics

If you intend to spend time with hones then invest in a jewellers loupe - you really need to see whre you are starting from and how things are progressing.

The post above where the razor went from blunt to sharp very quickly probably means that not a lot was required. If you can see that from the start and recognise the difference from a blade that requires a bevel set, your understanding will increase enormously.

A reasonable quality triplet is well worth the money - with a light even better.

My experience of coticules must be way different to Mike's if he considers that a 1K and a coticule both cut at the same speed - try it yourself and let us know whether the King is faster for you.

Good advice Rob. I said I don't think you'll find a huge difference but I'm sure your new stone will save some time if the razor is very dull or chipped.

Speaking of very dull and chipped razors of course you'll need a red DMT next :D

I find it quicker to use a King 1000 (well that side of a 1000/6000 combi) to set the bevel before going to the coticule.

FWIW I get my best coticule edges by following this elliptical method of honing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gddcDEz84S0

Its the method that the poster's father taught him, I also use elliptical motions on other hones to good effect and mix them in with traditional X strokes.

Back
Top Bottom