Horse Hair Brushes

I'm looking to get an 'oss Brush from Gifts and Co. Some are 35% mane hair; 65% tail hair and some are 50% split. What is difference and recommend by anyone?

best regards

Let's not 'split hairs' over it!!:)-). Wow! Were looking at some serious brushes. In horse the mane is stiffer and the tail softer. (There's a joke in there but I'm not sure I should go there:)-) ). Split I'm not sure why. Horse is supposed to give the combined benefit of Badger and Boar. The split may hold water better, I assume.
Horse has the added moral benefits too. Religious and ethical.

Doctor Beaker said:
I'm interested as well also why's this one the cheapest ?
http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/cata...ssional-brush-no2-brown-horse-hair-extra.html

cheers Danny

It is a barbers brush and has 25/75 ratio, to give it some more backbone, as the loft is taller. Extra means the tips have been made softer. One of my favorite brushes, btw. You use just the tips with a brush like this. So I would not use it / recommend it for "heavy" face lathering.

Johnus said:
In horse the mane is stiffer and the tail softer.

AFAIK it is the other way around. Anyway it is mixed to use both advantages, mane makes the brush soft on the face, tail gives backbone.

hoodlight said:
I'm looking to get an 'oss Brush from Gifts and Co. Some are 35% mane hair; 65% tail hair and some are 50% split. What is difference and recommend by anyone?
best regards

mane is soft, tail has backbone. Split: I take it you mean horse/boar. So depending on what you want (bowl or face lathering) and your preferences, you pick either a horse with natural (non dyed, brownish) hair with the 35/65 ratio, or a pro bushes which are 25/75 ratio, but have a taller loft. These are good for bowl and "soft" face lathering.
The standard (dyed, fake badger) horse brushes are 50/50, so softer. They would best be used for bowl lathering.
The 50/50 boar/horse has some backbone and could also be used for face lathering. I also have a custom made natural brush (12705, with 47 mm loft instead of 57mm), which I use for "medium" face lathering. With soft and medium I refer to the amount of pressure on the brush.

Just ordered

this one Linky came to £13.10 with trackable post and packing I'll report back when it lands
Danny.gif

RE: Just ordered

hoodlight said:
Doctor Beaker said:
this one Linky came to £13.10 with trackable post and packing I'll report back when it lands
Danny.gif

is that full horse parts brush or has some pig bits in it? :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Hi Hoodlight when you click the green linky it says :-
Hair mix: 25% mane hair; 75% tail hair
pig bits ??? this has pig bits in it !

baconegg.jpg

cheers Danny

sjedwardz said:
"Recommended for professional hands."

Do you have professional hands?!?!?

Don't know ? what do you recon ?

8-hands-3d-animated-gif-images.gif

cheers Danny

Doctor Beaker said:
Danny.gif

Good choice, but beware of the dye (black) wash it well before use...

hoodlight said:
I use a bowl

Then you can use them all, it is just that more mane makes the brush softer (unless you get a pro extra of course). I would suggest to go either for a pro extra (like Danny, but I would take the brown - natural / undyed - hair), or f.i. the 12705.

when it says split between mane hair and tail hair, I didn't expect any boar hair to be in, thought it was 100% horse. I didn't think boars had manes or tails (at least with much hair on them), has anyone got one of these brushes and can explain - are they 100% horse or do they have boar bits in. And if they are all horse which is best mixture between mane and tail hair.

Back
Top Bottom