Horse Hair Brushes

hoodlight said:
when it says split between mane hair and tail hair, I didn't expect any boar hair to be in, thought it was 100% horse. I didn't think boars had manes or tails (at least with much hair on them), has anyone got one of these brushes and can explain - are they 100% horse or do they have boar bits in. And if they are all horse which is best mixture between mane and tail hair.

My bad, as a foreigner I took split for a mixed horse/boar (Vie-long has that too, also horse/badger). However I did get that and in my previous answer I only talked about 100% horse. So, Vie-long has 3 types of all horse hair brushes:

Barber Pro 25% mane / 75% tail
Natural 35% mane / 65% tail
Banded 50% mane / 50% tail

My suggestion is to go for a brown Barber Pro Extra (softer tips), or a 12705 natural.

hoodlight said:
Thank you I think I will buy Banded style

You're welcome. Can not say much about the banded brushes, as I only have a 13800 from that range (I have all the Pro's, a standard 12705 and a custom - shorter loft - 12705). The 13800 is a nice brush, but as I have big hands, I prefer a larger handle. In short I like the 12705, with its 23mm knot and the Pro's best. I would suggest to take one with a 23mm knot.

Your right I mix the two. Here's more about hair than anyone need know it relates to stillness of horse/hog/etc
THE basis of all curled hair made is horse hair, cattle
I hair and hog hair. Horse hair comes from horse
tails and manes, and there is a wide difference in the value and usefulness of tail hair and mane hair. Horse tail hair is stiff and straight, and its longer staple is used for hair cloth which goes into the lapels of coats for stiffening purposes, in which case it is woven with cotton thread; in some instances it furnishes its own woof and warp, in the making of a pure hair cloth with which to cover upholstery. It is also hackled or drawn into various lengths of brush hair, and is particularly suitable for this use because it lies straight and withstands the elements as well as oils and alkali soaps.
Probably the most important use of horse tail hair is as a basis for curled hair. Its stiffness when in spiral form gives it a great range of resiliency, and its ability to withstand constant depression and subsequent release, as well as its immunity to the deteriorating influences of the elements, makes it particularly good as a long lived upholstery filler.
Horse mane hair is less valuable than horse tail hair, because it is much softer, and its range of resiliency is much less. On the other hand, its affinity for other types of hair when mixed therewith makes it a good binder when used with cheaper, shorter hairs in various curled hair mixtures, and although of less value and less downright worth, it performs its function as above described well. Horse mane hair, because of its soft contact when used in curled hair, has recommended itself to a great many people as an upholstery filler, and has been in particular demand by our Government in the making of Navy mattresses.
Cattle tail hair, or the hair coming from the tassel at the end of the cattle tail, furnishes a most desirable curled hair material, in that it is longer lived than horse hair, possesses a wider range of resiliency, develops less breakage and is neither as hard as horse tail hair nor as soft as mane hair but rather a happy mean between the two.
Hog hair is obtained at the time of the slaughter of the animals and is thoroughly cured and sterilized before being used in the manufacture of curled hair. Hog hair is less valuable than horse and cattle hair only because of its shorter staple, and is used in various formulae to assist in the reduction of price. If one were to take a piece of horse hair of the exact size and length of the hog hair, he would find them both of equal value, and the horse and cattle hair are therefore only more valuable than hog hair because of their greater length and the possibility of placing more convolutions in each long hair than one can in a short hair, thus increasing the range of resiliency in a mass of curled hair.

balidey said:
Johnus said:
Horse has the added moral benefits too.
Do you mean taken from a living horse? Or am I missing something?

I'm quite tempted to try a geegee brush. Although my equestrien friend may have words if she finds out

Yes, the horses are shaved. Know what you mean tho, my daughter does not allow me to shave my own horse. And she has such lovely manes. And that tail...

I recently received this lovely brush - similar to one of the "standard" Vie Longs on G&C but was a "special" made for another shaving forum and contains "extra" horse hair.

Vie-Long_LimitedEditionExtraHorse2011.jpg

I really love using it - it has no trouble with any of the soaps or creams I've used it with (and that's quite a few!) and the feel on the skin is nice too. Obviously not as soft as a silver-tipped badger brush but not as hash as a boar.

I wouldn't want to be without that brush now - and am grateful to one of our forum members for parting with it :D

I've ordered this one - http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/catalog/the-pleasure-of-shaving/horse-shaving-brushes/vie-long-horse-hair-shaving-brush-13060.html

Yes, on the horse. The hair is harvested and grows back. A renewable resource. So, I good for the horse and good for people that like horses. The other reference is to 'Boar'; a large part of the shaving world isn't that keen on using it.

I bought this horse neck hair brush for £9.99 on the bay, with free postage. I wasn't expecting much for the money, but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The bristles are very soft indeed, but too long, way too long. So long in fact that when I wet the brush the entire bristle structure leaned over at 90% to the handle. When I tried to lather with it flecks of soap flicked all over the bathroom, and all over me when I tried to face lather.

So I gave it a haircut.

Now at half the length, it is a wonderful little brush. It lathers hard glycerine soap (Grapewood), soft soap (Valobra), and cream (ToBS) with real ease.

I also think it makes a pretty good match with the shaving bowl I bought from Connaughts for £6.

So, I would recommend this brush to both bowl and face latherers, with the understanding that you may feel the need to give yours a haircut too!

horseyl.jpg

horsehairbrush002.jpg

Professor Blighty said:
I bought this horse neck hair brush for £9.99 on the bay, with free postage. I wasn't expecting much for the money, but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The bristles are very soft indeed, but too long, way too long. So long in fact that when I wet the brush the entire bristle structure leaned over at 90% to the handle. When I tried to lather with it flecks of soap flicked all over the bathroom, and all over me when I tried to face lather.

So I gave it a haircut.

Now at half the length, it is a wonderful little brush. It lathers hard glycerine soap (Grapewood), soft soap (Valobra), and cream (ToBS) with real ease.

you cut it in half? On the web it says the loft is 5,5 cms, about 2 inches. Is just one inch loft not too short?

Back
Top Bottom