How much should I pay for a NEW?

OK, I fancy trying out a Gillette New (given all the rave "reviews" that I've read on here) so have been looking out for a shaver grade one one t'bay: I figure that, if I like it, I can always get it replated. What I don't want to do is get into a bidding war and paying way over the top so: how much should I expect to pay for one?

Thanks,

_

I paid £8 about a year ago from Max (FrenchBlade). Recently got mine replated in gold by Dave at restored razors (onotoman on here) for £25 and it looks great.

Thanks for that - seems cheap enough to give it a go.

BTW, looking around there seems to be New, New improved, New deluxe, short comb, long comb, made in US/England. Is there much to choose between them in terms of the way they shave? and, if so, how do you tell them apart?

Have a look on MR-RAzors site, confusingly the New Improved preceeded the NEW.

I assume you want a long comb NEW which as you've discovered comes in various guises, I haven't found much difference between US and UK heads.

Underscore said:

BTW, looking around there seems to be New, New improved, New deluxe, short comb, long comb, made in US/England. Is there much to choose between them in terms of the way they shave? and, if so, how do you tell them apart?

You want a New, long comb, made in the UK.

The only real difference between the long and short combs is the long combs give more of a 'lead in' to finding the biting point of the blade (i.e. they are more forgiving).

Something like this is what you are after.

You are right in that the the 'New improved' actually preceeded the 'New' and you will normally find these heads on Bostonians, Ringwoods, etc. These were made in the US.

Regards

Jules

For me - US made short comb works the best.

fatboyslimfast said:
I'm thinking about one of these too (mainly as they look totally different to anything I currently have). Do they shave dramatically different from a superspeed, and if so, in what way?

In a goooood way :)

Julese34 said:

Yeah, I saw that one... though (according to Mr Razor) that's a Goodwill rather than a New. They look pretty similar: do they shave the same?

Anyway, just put a bid in on this one, so we'll see how that gos...

554104095_tp.jpg

Underscore said:

BTW, looking around there seems to be New, New improved, New deluxe, short comb, long comb, made in US/England. Is there much to choose between them in terms of the way they shave?

Hi there,

Yeah, the various NEW type razors can be confusing. They don't all shave the same, but there's a few basic guidelines I can give you from experience.

It feels like the long tooth versions tend to be a little milder than the ST kind. I think it's partly because the longer teeth are curved downward a little bit. The most aggressive NEW type would be the NEW Deluxe...like a Norfolk for example. They may look like they have the same head as a Tuckaway but that's not the case.

The most popular New types are the ball end and bar handle ones. Not especially expensive (unless it's a bar handle in great shape), and plenty of em around to choose from. These are on the milder side of the New series, but still have plenty of bite.

Martin

antdad said:
Julese34 said:
Underscore said:
Julese34 said:

Yeah, I saw that one... though (according to Mr Razor) that's a Goodwill rather than a New. They look pretty similar: do they shave the same?

Same head, different handle

Have another look.

Other than one is brass and one is chromed, the heads look identical to me. Whats the difference?

Back
Top Bottom