How much should I pay for a NEW?

I have 2 ball end long combs. One of them had an ill-fitting handle and I had to use emery paper to take a little metal off the tip so that the handle would fit snugly on the securing bottom plate. The handles are often cracked for some way along the length which can be a problem and should lower the price. This can be remedied by various means described on the shaving websites or new handles manufactured by various enthusiasts/suppliers can be obtained.

Beautifully balanced shaving instrument: among the best supplied by Gillette.

@Jules

Shave geometry is much the same from what I can tell, blade lugs, caps and base plates can vary enormously from NEW's. On some, the blade may need aligning even.

Hi, my experience with the ball end hollow handle razors is that one needs to stay away from the handles that have cracks. On eBay the sellers will try to tell you :'oh they all have cracks and this on you can barely see without...'
You really need to be careful. The crack causes the head or the ball to eventually fall off. May are glued in and you don't find out till you buy it.
With these, no matter what the write up says you have to specifically ask:" does the handle have cracks?" the answer 80% of the time will be : " Oh I just noticed ' there is a small crack at each end''!! Becareful. *May be best to buy from someone on the site that will tell you how it really shaves.* *Rather than the eBay answer 'oh I'm not a collector; I thought you'd want it all dirt and covered with hair!'*

Underscore said:
Anyway, just put a bid in on this one, so we'll see how that gos...

554104095_tp.jpg

Didn't get that one in the end so back to the drawing board...

_

fatboyslimfast said:
Well, I don't tend to shave my teeth unless it's been a *really* heavy one the night before... ;)

But yes, looking forward to it's arrival. Now how to gently introduce it to the bathroom without it being noticed... as it's a totally different colour to all the others...!

Two excuses spring to mind: -

1, "Oh no! Darling look what happened when I put my nice silver razor in the dishwasher! I'm gutted"

2, "Five quid, luv".

Well, here is my £6 NEW.

It should be ok to see how it shaves, but lets be honest - it isn't going to win a place in any museum. As you can see, there are cracks at the top and bottom of the handle, and it looks as though someone has tried to re-varnish it at some point?

Any comments welcome (good or bad - I'm not precious and it was only £6).

[attachment=4584]
[attachment=4585]
[attachment=4586]
[attachment=4587]

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 20
antdad said:
How is the blade location & alignment, is it precise?

Hmm, yes. I'm honestly not sure (just taken delivery of it at work, so don't have any blades with me to test). It doesn't seem to lock into place like my tech does, but it looks like it uses the blade as part of the locking mechanism, hence why there is some movement without one.

If I'm wrong, and it doesn't, it's going to be fiddly as hell to use.

Hmm, looking around the web, and at Mr Razor's site, it seems that what I have is a Gillette Goodwill from 1931.
Will try a shave tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Any suggestions on the best blade to try? I've got AstraSP, Supermax Stainless / BlueDiamond, Feather, Personna Blue to hand. I was going to try an Astra as a starting point.

fatboyslimfast said:
Hmm, looking around the web, and at Mr Razor's site, it seems that what I have is a Gillette Goodwill from 1931.
Will try a shave tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Any suggestions on the best blade to try? I've got AstraSP, Supermax Stainless / BlueDiamond, Feather, Personna Blue to hand. I was going to try an Astra as a starting point.

Astra would be my first choice too.

Back
Top Bottom