How much should I pay for a NEW?

Ok, here goes.

Firstly, someone *had* put a coat of varnish or something on it during it's lifetime. a quick soak and a good scrubbing with an ultrasonic toothbrush later, and most of it is gone. Much better.
Secondly, the split tube is a bit of a pain but not a dealbreaker, providing you grip the top of the tube when tightening it.
Finally, the blade locates pretty well, but there is a little movement, so care needs to be taken when locating the head cap and tightening to make sure that the blade is evenly exposed on both sides. I used an AstraSP, as it's the blade I'm most comfortable and familiar with.

So...how does it shave?

Well, it's not for beginners, that's for sure. There is a lot of blade exposure compared with the superspeeds and tech that I have, with quite a shallow angle, and it doesn't mess about. But, I prepped well with a hot shower, lathered well with the Palmolive stick, and was rewarded with one of the closest, most comfortable shaves I've experienced yet. I did a 3-pass, 1 wtg, 1 atg and 1 xtg. I had to be very careful with pressure, but had no irritation issues, no nicks/weepers and pretty much BBS across my whole face.

I'm not sure how it would fare with a cheaper blade (like a Supermax stainless) but I'll try it once the Astra has done it's time and report back. But for me, definitely £6 well spent.

"You know it makes sense, Rodney!"

Well done and welcome to the club. I know I go on about it all the time, but get a new handle from Bob's razor works, you won't regret it.

Cheers

Jules

Well, just picked up this for a fiver plus delivery:

$%28KGrHqF,!icE9h+YidgtBPZFhmZNCw~~60_12.JPG

Not in good shape cosmetically but I am assured that mechanically it's good. Will sterilize it and give it a go once it arrives. If all goes well, I will then look at getting it (re-?)plated.

_

I cannot help myself, yesterday morning I read this post, before the end of the day I had purchased a NEW off Ebay. £5.71 plus delivery. Really happy with that, cannot wait to try it out. I had never realised how reasonably priced they were.

Norky said:
I cannot help myself, yesterday morning I read this post, before the end of the day I had purchased a NEW off Ebay. £5.71 plus delivery. Really happy with that, cannot wait to try it out. I had never realised how reasonably priced they were.

Oh, that was you was it? It was on my watch list for if I hadn't got the one that I did.

Mine arrived this morning and is currently soaking in vinegar/water in preparation for a scrub down this evening. And it did used to be plated - there are a few miniscule bits of nickel still visible. Anyway, with luck will have it ready for a shave tomorrow morning and, if that goes well, will get it replated soon. Have mailed Dave @ safetyrazors.co.uk for options and prices - though I've yet to receive a reply...

_

Underscore said:
And it did used to be plated - there are a few miniscule bits of nickel still visible.

Actually, it looks like I've bought a Frankenrazor. It appears that the head used to be gold plated and the handle was nickel. Since I plan to replate, this is no problem - just an interesting bit of trivia...

_

Back
Top Bottom