How necessary is a shaving stand?

I have a nice New Forest Silvertip coming soon, and want to know the best way to keep it right.

Lots of people say its necessary to dry brushes upside down in a stand. Is this correct?

ATM with my cheapo crap brushes I squeeze dry, brush on towel and let them dry the rest of the way on their side.

Any brush care pointers welcome.

Once I've finished a shave I rinse well then a light shake while holding the knot. I then Brush on a towel the just leave it on its base to dry.

From what I've noticed the yanks like there brush stands but i can't say I've noticed a difference in drying time.

Not necessary at all in my view. Your brush needs to dry naturally in the air, but it doesn't really need to "drip" dry, especially if you've squeezed the excess water out and then towelled it, just as you're already doing. You can quite happily stand the brush on its base and it will dry out beautifully, there's not enough water for gravity to make much difference.

That's not to say I don't have a stand... I do. I have a chrome stand that I display one brush and one razor on, just because it looks nice. Because I'm odd like that. Buy one by all means, but only because you like the look of them.

Different manufacturers recommend different things. For instance, Thater recommend hanging a brush bristles down in a stand. Whereas, Simpson (or it may just have been Gary Young) advocated leaving a brush to stand on its base. I haven't noticed a difference in drying time either way, but then again I haven't looked for one either.

I can only echo what everyone else has said.

Rinse it clean then (holding the bristles) shake it a few times and then gently brush it on a towel.

Jobsagoodun.

EDIT- just realised I have pretty much repeated what Dipesh has said word for word!

If you buy the men u brush from boots for a tenner, you get a basic but very functional brush stand. Not to nention, a very nice (for the money) brush too - the only boar brush i've liked so far ( out of 3 i have tried)

Not too long ago, I remember seeing another thread on almost exactly this topic, up Vs. down for drying. There was some to-ing and fro-ing about gravity being effectively a redundant force against capillary action.

I seem to remember that the general consensus in the end was that either way up was fine, as long as it could breathe (i.e. don't put it in a travel tube/washbag before it has completely dried).

Other than that, whatever you think looks nicest.

Personally, I'm still on the lookout for a nice toothbrush holder or pipe rack to pop some of my rotation razors in. Haven't found the right one yet...

I prefer to use a stand. I have a Men U brush stand, and my Omega synthetic shaving brush fits it perfectly because the brush is the same shape as a Men U. The Omega brush dries out very quickly anyway being synthetic.

I also have a Wilkinson Sword shaving brush and that fits the Men U stand as well, except the brush rests at a much shallower angle but remains perfectly steady.

I'm hoping to get an Edwin Jagger synthetic shaving brush and I will get a stand as well, as the basic ones are only £3.00.

Any brushes I don't use I let them dry out completely on a window sill for a few days, then put them in a cupboard

Yes, we in the New World like our brushes hanging up side down and dry(;-). I have 8/9 that I rotate through so each one has more than enough time to dry. For Some I use the inexpensive plastic stick to the bathroom tile hangers that often come with the brush, they work very well.
This may only be me, as I worked in a health care facility for years and it dryness was always an issue in areas that had a lot of water use.

A brush can easilly be knocked off, or fall off a stand, fall into the sink or to the floor and crack.
Also, regular use of a stand can over time mark the brush handle.(some metal stands will do this)
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom