I feel the need, the need for lead

You say your a design engineer. Do you get your hands dirty? If so go retro and get some thing like the Helix Oxford Premium Grade Hb Pencil. If your hands are clean get a mechanical pencil.
Or if your like my cousin it's the first pen,pencil,burnt stick or bloody finger that he can find.

A good site to buy pens and stuff is
http://www.cultpens.com/index.html

My hands don't get as dirty as they used to.
In the design office most of the time, so when I'm on the shop floor the cheap crappy pencil behind my ear will do, but I'm now looking out for a nice mechanical.
Top of the wish list so far is the Uni Kuru Toga Roulette that Boab linked. Looks amazing. And more importantly when I told my wife about her buying me a £20 pencil I was not given 'the stare'.

No one has yet mentioned the greatest British Made Yard'o'Lead in sterling silver. This is all the pencil you will ever need.

If you are a serious designer you will be able to work out how to get a decent point without the pencil doing it for you.

UKRob said:
No one has yet mentioned the greatest British Made Yard'o'Lead in sterling silver. This is all the pencil you will ever need.

If you are a serious designer you will be able to work out how to get a decent point without the pencil doing it for you.

It's not about working out how to get a decent point on it, it's the fact that the point doesn't turn to a chisel edge when you write with it. You don't have inconsistent lines when the point doesn't change size.

It's not about working out how to get a decent point on it, it's the fact that the point doesn't turn to a chisel edge when you write with it. You don't have inconsistent lines when the point doesn't change size.
[/quote]

No offence meant Boab - I guess a consistent line is important for technical drawings but maybe a bit of variation is OK for writing - after all, the beauty of our grandparents' writing was the elegant lines produced from a nib that flexed. In terms of looks, I'll take the Yard 'o' Lead.

Well, just pressed the button and ordered a Uni Kuru Toga Roulette.
Started looking at other mech pencils and there are some amazing items. Finally settled on the Roulette, for now. May be the start of a collection. Oh dear.
Also bought an OHTO sharp pencil. Its a mechanical pencil that looks like a normal pencil.
Then I'll try a clutch pencil.

Vittorio Martini 1866 Take a look http://vittoriomartini.it/

20120604.jpg

Try a 2mm mechanical pencil, most come with a lead pointer (the cap on end) or you can find an old fashioned one some where. It looks professional . I am a tradesman and when I have to make notes on prints the engineer or architect likes it more than me whipping out a razor knife and chopping down a carpenter's pencil.

balidey said:
a Uni Kuru Toga Roulette.
an OHTO sharp pencil.
Both these are taking pride of place on my desk at work. Several of the other engineers have noticed them and commented on them.
The only person who didn't really take any interest is the young lad that insists every single daily task has to be completed by using an ipad or iphone.

I use a mechanical pencil for a hard copy of my address book. I always use a pencil so that when phone numbers change it's not full of crossing outs.
I have to use a nice pencil that I paid a bit more for because I have learned from experience that it is a right pain when I have had mobiles go U/S and could not get at the phone book and the value of the address book and the pencil represent to me the importance of the numbers written and recorded.

My pencil Yard-o-Led Viceroy Barley 1.1mm lead good for drawing as well as writing
and being so thick is less likely to break.

yo1400044616000-yard-o-led-viceroy-barley-sterling-silver-pencil_pen.jpg

My Address book Amalfi leather address book refillable
amarltn-l.jpg

They are not cheap but they are a pleasure to use and the balance of the pencil is fantastic you will understand when you hold one.

Big fan of Faber Castell 9000's. In fact I'm a big fan of just about anything Faber Castell. These are a big upgrade from standard pencils IMHO and not too pricey (think I paid about £10 for the design set on amazon, but I think you can get them singly in some places). Not a fan of mechanical pencils myself.

Back
Top Bottom