I made an R41 first shave video...

341729_640px.jpg

The blade angle looks completely different to what I would have expected.

It looks as though the blade is almost at 90 degrees from your face, I thouight it shoul be nearer 30 degrees.

I haven't shaved with one yet though so I have lots to learn about the R41.

Hi Ant, you remind me (both visually and in the way you speak) of Rocky Gervais - I wonder if you're fed up hearing that - apologies if you are. A couple of thoughts spring to mind. Though I've never used an R41, my understanding is that it's best when the blade angle to the skin is shallow. You're using it at a steeper angle (blade to skin, not razor handle obviously) than I do any of my razors. You actually say it yourself towards the end of your first pass. Try using it with the handle at more like 70 degrees to your face. Also, you say that you've made the lather a bit wetter than normal, but to me it still appears a bit thin, though I can't see on the video whether it's thin and dry or thin and wet. You're doing well to prevent yourself applying pressure, though - nice short strokes and a relaxed grip of the razor.

Nice one mate. Your reaction when you made that first stroke with the razor really made me chuckle. I did exactly the same thing and made the same noise when I used mine for the first time.
I wasn't sure when I bought it, but from the first stroke I was sold.

Thanks guys :) Yes, totally need to work on the angle I use, absolutely. I am pleased with the end result. I would have done a 3rd pass but my youngest boy (6 months) who was on the floor by my feet was about to blow! I really appreciate all your comments. Tomorrow I will take more time and give the baby to my wife :D

.. the same wife who mocks you for making the video? :)

Anyway, I think the general consensus is to go and make more videos and that we'll enjoy watching em.

Fair play to you - good to see it in action without too much claret being spilt (compare to Mantic's trial). Also good to know that your shaving experience is similar to mine (noise and interruptions coming from assorted children) :)

Good video, cheers. I was also surprised at the angle you were using, it'll be more comfortable if you go shallower but it's something I did too, I think I had 4 or 5 shaves with one before I got the angle thing. Still, you didn't do bad given that and there was no major pain or blood so you'll get on fine with this razor.
I laughed when it first touched your face, we've all had that "CRIKEY" moment! It does feel wierdly bare and sharp.

I also used to tidy up my top lip and awkward areas with an Edwin Jagger, it's wholely understandable! You'll build up confidence quite soon though and you'll be back to one razor for the whole job. One day you'll even be doing your neck shaves with it.

I've got an R41 and I've had great shaves and crap shave using both 70-ish degree and 30-ish degree angles so I don't think there is one 'optimum' angle to be honest.

The issue with it is that it is so aggressive it punishes the slightest slip in any technique.

However, that same aggression means you get very close, and can do two passes.

It's my Saturday morning only razor.

Love the bit at 1:08 when you first put the razor to your face "hoo hoo, that's sharp!" I reacted similarly when I first used one, but you were much more polite than me.

Ian

When I use my R41 the handle is almost level with my face - to do otherwise is to score the skin with the edge of the blade rather than shave it.
So all in all you did very well - but please open out your angle next time - you will get a far more comfortable shave!

Back
Top Bottom