Ice Hockey nutcase, now a DE shaver

John said:
LOL I've had the pleasure of ripping open 4 NOS razors, 2 SE GEMS and a gold plated tech from the 50s-60s and a black handled super speed from the 70s, pretty common razors, :icon_razz: but I did receive hate mail and go into hiding for 9 months :blush:
Pretty vicious lot on here then John. Certainly like the black super speed, will certainly be one of the first in the collection, how many razors have you got? And what would you say is a reasonable price for a good/excellent example?

greenbunch said:
John said:
LOL I've had the pleasure of ripping open 4 NOS razors, 2 SE GEMS and a gold plated tech from the 50s-60s and a black handled super speed from the 70s, pretty common razors, :icon_razz: but I did receive hate mail and go into hiding for 9 months :blush:
Pretty vicious lot on here then John. Certainly like the black super speed, will certainly be one of the first in the collection, how many razors have you got? And what would you say is a reasonable price for a good/excellent example?

These guys are good as gold, apart from one guy called Martin I'd look out for him :dodgy: I've only got 12 but they all get used, there are hard core collectors whom have a room full of em, as for the prices if you got from here £25 upwards but online venders will charge you retail prices, £45 upwards and as for fleabay you can get lucky, but a lot of shit goes down with prices....a bidding war chips off and they just go nuts, I noticed that fashions in vintage shaving drives prices sky high, it's a crazy hobby that's for sure :icon_smile:

greenbunch said:
John said:

Hi new guy,

Heh, you don't know John very well, but you will find him to occasionally get his facts a bit mixed up. This is one of them times.

Yes it's true he DID get lots of hate mail (still does), but it's for something totally unrelated to your thread. Yeah, the people he irritated were upset about him....how did he put it? Oh yeah, to quote him: "I finally cacked that worthless feckin helper monkey of mine". This was not the first time a monkey of his that needed "correcting", as he put it. Nothing at all to do with old Gillette razors.

Gotta watch out for him and a few others,

Martin

John said:
greenbunch said:
John said:

These guys are good as gold, apart from one guy called Martin I'd look out for him :dodgy: I've only got 12 but they all get used, there are hard core collectors whom have a room full of em, as for the prices if you got from here £25 upwards but online venders will charge you retail prices, £45 upwards and as for fleabay you can get lucky, but a lot of shit goes down with prices....a bidding war chips off and they just go nuts, I noticed that fashions in vintage shaving drives prices sky high, it's a crazy hobby that's for sure :icon_smile:
Thanks for that John. Hmm! Interesting comments, and advice. Cheers. Like you say the resurgence of this type of shaving will have that influence on prices. But I'm not going to be dragged into a bidding war. I will have a limit..

greenbunch said:
John said:
greenbunch said:
John said:

Thanks for that John. Hmm! Interesting comments, and advice. Cheers. Like you say the resurgence of this type of shaving will have that influence on prices. But I'm not going to be dragged into a bidding war. I will have a limit..
Very wise sir. :)

dodgy said:
greenbunch said:
John said:

Hi new guy,

Heh, you don't know John very well, but you will find him to occasionally get his facts a bit mixed up. This is one of them times.

Yes it's true he DID get lots of hate mail (still does), but it's for something totally unrelated to your thread. Yeah, the people he irritated were upset about him....how did he put it? Oh yeah, to quote him: "I finally cacked that worthless feckin helper monkey of mine". This was not the first time a monkey of his that needed "correcting", as he put it. Nothing at all to do with old Gillette razors.

Gotta watch out for him and a few others,

Martin

Hi martini how's you doing? Got to be honest I should never of typed that should I? Those bastards set fire to my car for that shit, and as for the sack full of death threats daily :s Hell I now live in a one bed flat in the countryside, with a 9mm pistol strapped to my side, and the pigs say I can't go out in public coz I'd be killed within seconds. :mad:

beejay said:
Hello and welcome to TSR greenbunch :icon_smile:
Regards, beejay

Thanks beejay, see you make brushes.. Is that correct? Or am I not awake yet.. Lol

Canuck said:
Hi, another hockey fan here, my username gives away who I follow. Welcome!

Morning Canuck, Caps fan personally, and to start off we beat the leafs, last night, @ovi8 scores again, great picture on twitter with our kid..

Canuck said:
Hi, another hockey fan here, my username gives away who I follow. Welcome!

You been a member long? Any tips or advice you can offer would be appreciated.. Who your local club down there in Hitchin?

Been here a while, gone through a vintage phase earlier on but now own just 2 so what I know about vintage razors is next to nothing especially compared to some of the real vintage buffs here, there are some genuine experts who can tell you whatever you need to know.
I don't watch hockey in the UK, I'm just an NHL follower, I went about 4 to 5 times a season up until recently.

greenbunch said:
[But I'm not going to be dragged into a bidding war. I will have a limit..

Heh, of course you won't be spending much on shaving crap. Yeah, maybe just 1-2 razors should be plenty. Having any more than a few is pretty dumb (and more than a little bit nuts). Yeah, you will be very modest with any vintage razor acquisitions.

There's a few old Gillettes you should test drive to see what fits you best. Not now while you're learning new stuff, but after your technique has improved....maybe a month down the road. No sense in trying new to you razors unless you're using em right.

Very popular models are the Techs, superspeeds, adjustables, open combs, and the Aristocrat/President/Diplomat family. These will all shave differently, and some will work out better than others for you. Of those models I would suggest the adjustables and the Aristo group (beautiful looking as well). Personally, those two types fit me best of all vintage Gillettes, keeping in mind I like a mild razor.

Martin

Ohhh, one thing you an look at is who shaves with what kinda razor. Yeah, the SOTD thread will tell you what the more popular types are in play.

Johnus said:
...And you'll find that the 'really cool' guys shave with WW1 and before Gillette '04's!!!

(And Derby blades!)

Yep, a toothy vintage 04 Old Type matched with a Derby blade must be like shaving in Heaven.

dodgy said:
Johnus said:
...And you'll find that the 'really cool' guys shave with WW1 and before Gillette '04's!!!

(And Derby blades!)

Yep, a toothy vintage 04 Old Type matched with a Derby blade must be like shaving in Heaven.

I get the feeling your being sarcastic Martini, nice of johnus to steer the new boy towards the rocks with a facial hacking.......the naughty boy!!!

dodgy said:
greenbunch said:
[But I'm not going to be dragged into a bidding war. I will have a limit..

Heh, of course you won't be spending much on shaving crap. Yeah, maybe just 1-2 razors should be plenty. Having any more than a few is pretty dumb (and more than a little bit nuts). Yeah, you will be very modest with any vintage razor acquisitions.

There's a few old Gillettes you should test drive to see what fits you best. Not now while you're learning new stuff, but after your technique has improved....maybe a month down the road. No sense in trying new to you razors unless you're using em right.

Very popular models are the Techs, superspeeds, adjustables, open combs, and the Aristocrat/President/Diplomat family. These will all shave differently, and some will work out better than others for you. Of those models I would suggest the adjustables and the Aristo group (beautiful looking as well). Personally, those two types fit me best of all vintage Gillettes, keeping in mind I like a mild razor.

Martin

Ohhh, one thing you an look at is who shaves with what kinda razor. Yeah, the SOTD thread will tell you what the more popular types are in play.

Cheers Dodgy, that sounds like good advice to me. Will use your post to check them out, like you say when my technique is better. The thing I like, is you say you like a mild shave, and I can empathise with that. So thanks again bud..

Johnus said:

(And Derby blades!)

WW1 and before, I really am green at this, anyone post pictures of these please?

Tried a few blades Johnus, and I'm kinda settling on the Derby blade, it seems to give me a much milder shave with the Jagger.

Any other suggestions, pictures etc will be appreciated, seems I have a hell of a long way to go, even if I am already an old geezer... Lol

[attachment=9317][attachment=9318][attachment=9320]
Here's one a lad used in '09.
It's where this whole crazy thing started. 3M were made for the troops in WW1. These were for boys who mostly never saw a safety razor before. Great shave!

While it's called the '04. It was actually 1st pat in England in '02-'03.
(Have one of those somewhere.)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389453294.364525.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389453294.364525.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 13
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389453320.876761.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389453320.876761.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389453345.182529.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389453345.182529.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 11
Back