iKon Shave Craft #101 Head

Received mine today. It's heavier than I was expecting and the flaws are as follows slight flaw to of finish on underside of the base about 1 mm in size. And a small dull spot on the top of the head

The heads are no longer available. The iKon site says Shave Craft 101 razors will be available at dealers in November. So I guess the flawed heads are all gone. I am hoping to have mine today or tomorrow.

Did a 3 pass shave using a Gillette Super Thin. This wonderful razor glides without any trace of irritation through as many passes as you like. I think the open comb side is ever so milder then the closed comb. Reminds me of the 2013 iKon open and closed comb razors. You would think the oc is more aggressive but its not. The complete razor weighs in at a nice 102 grams and is perfectly balanced. The ends of the head enclose the blade just like the iKon slant. My take is the handle is 100% machined 316 stainless while the head is a wonderfully finished sintered aluminum. This razor will be a bargain at $70 when released in November to iKon dealers.

Got mine today; took a week to arrive. Hard to find any flaws. The surface of the top cap is perfect. There are some tiny imperfections to the underside of the base-plate. I had to look hard to see them, easiest one to see is at 11 o'clock on the collar. Enlarged through a camera lens you can see them as below. No discolouration; that's just the reflection on the metal.

Ikon101-1_zps1fb5e57f.jpg

There is a tiny gash across (one side of) the thread. It looks a lot worse in the photo than can be seen by the naked eye, in fact I couldn't even see it without the photo. Couldn't feel any effect of it on screwing in my Weber Bulldog handle, in fact it felt like a perfect fit.

Ikon101-2_zps4a931057.jpg

So overall I'm impressed with the finish. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Mine arrived today as well. Ordered it on the 21st.

A few more speckles than Fancontrollers on the underside of the base plate. The top of the base plate and the top cap are flawless. The is a very tiny 'chip' in the thread.
Fits nice and solid on an Ikon OSS handle.

Gives a nice smooth shave.
Very happy with it. Absolute bargain.

Mine arrived this morning.

To my eyes its flawless. They obviously have extremely vigilant quality inspectors.

Even if I'd paid full price for this head I'd have no complaints.

Love the size of it and it suits my custom SS handle very well.

It's now the only DE razor I own and I have no reason to own another.

Re: RE: iKon Shave Craft #101 Head

sjrobertson said:
Mine arrived this morning.

To my eyes its flawless. They obviously have extremely vigilant quality inspectors.

Even if I'd paid full price for this head I'd have no complaints.

Love the size of it and it suits my custom SS handle very well.

It's now the only DE razor I own and I have no reason to own another.

You think it's that good?

This morning was the first time using this razor, paired with a Weber Bulldog handle.

The finish is lovely on this razor a joy to use. I'm not sure how you are supposed to plan your shave with this piece of equipment. Are you supposed to use Open Comb for the first pass then Solid Bar for the next etc? I just alternated sides between rinsing the lather off the razor as I do with any other razor.
I couldn't tell the difference in aggression between the two sides. In fact the shave was very mild and I had no issues at all.

The result was not BBS, I missed a few areas under my chin and overall the shave didn't feel as close as I'm used to. Maybe after a few more shaves this will improve (like it did when I first started with my Weber Polished).

I also like the fact the blade is completely covered at the sides. I tend to scratch my ears with the edge of the razor/blade when I get too close to my ears. No worries with this machine.

More details on SOTD with photo

Well - I'm glad I know it's blemished else I wouldn't have spotted where. Mine has the minutest bleb on the handle landing face - it makes no difference to the landing that I can detect and will wear or flatten in time, I feel sure.

I love the feel of the finish - silky smooth. I wish my mail arrived a lot earlier like it used to. As it is, I have to wait till tomorrow to try this beauty.

I must have got one of the last available which just arrived. It shows the same thread damage as the pictures here but no other marking (lucky me!). I used it for this morning's shave with a Rapira blade and it felt great! I couldn't tell much difference between the two sides but did notice the blade angle was a little different from my other razors. I like the feel of the material it is made from.

If your M5 thread looks like the thread in post #40 then the thread on the top cap hasn't been formed properly. An M5 thread should measure 4.8mm in diameter, mine looks like the picture posted and is only 4.4mm in diameter. There are two potential problems with thread like this (especially a risk as this head is Aluminium): potential to strip the threads if you're heavy handed and secondly, cross threading.
Both these can be avoided by paying attention to the engagement of the thread and being gentle – I won't be lending my 101 head to my brother as he is neither of these! However, it was sold as blemished so I have no qualms about this for the price I paid.

I've now had five shaves with three different blades and despite this razor being slightly too mild for me I've had four lovely shaves (I was being rushed on the first shave). I've had to complete four passes: WTG, 2xXTG and ATG, to get BBS but the razor is so smooth and well balanced it's a pleasure to use for the extra pass! Personally, unlike many it appears, I like having two different sides to the head but for me I'd like one (preferably the open comb) to be notably more aggressive than the other so that I could go WTG and XTG with the more aggressive side and then finish on the gentler side ATG. On this head both side seem pretty similar in terms of aggressiveness. For me the straight bar is spot-on but for this razor to be perfect I would like the open comb would be a bit more aggressive so I could do fewer passes.

I hope Greg offers this head with the option to up-grade the handle to a matte finish Bulldog handle rather than only offer it with the cheaper shiny ShareCraft handle. The colour and finish matching between the head and the matte handle is very nearly perfect, and to my eyes, this is the best looking modern DE available – bar none. The finish also looks and feels very classy, very refined. It really does look that good to me.

I think that for those who like a milder razor or for those new to DE shaving who have the funds / wiliness to spend more than the normal £20-25 on an Edwin Jagger / Muehle this is a wonderful razor with very high pride of ownership - strongly recommended. I'll be keeping my blemished head!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom