Is electric the only way for acne?

Hi!

Been reading threads on here for a while but this is my first (of many) posts... :D

I switched from Gilette Fusion + canned foam to DE shaving with a brush about a year ago, but the promises of enlightenment have not been fulfilled!

I've watched all of mantic59's videos and I'm pretty sure I'm doing things correctly, but I'm sick of cutting my face up when going over spots or healing spots. To make things worse, I have oily acne prone skin AND thick hair.

My friend tells me the only way to shave with acne is with electric and he claims that he never gets cuts.
To make things worse, I had less cuts going over spots with the 5 blade Fusion :(

:?:

Should I just give it up and go electric at least until my spots clear up?

My doctor told me that 20+ years ago. I didn't believe him then and I don't believe it now. He (bearded) was full of other wisdoms like "grow a beard" (yeah, just the thing for a 15-16 year old)...

Ease off around the zits man... you don't need a baby's bum smoothness here.

What are you using post-shave? Balm? Splash? Alum? Witch hazel? Oxy-10? Nowt?

Can't say that my dermalogically challenged, oily skin ever benefited from rubbing whirring blades over my skin in my teen years when I tried it. Although that was back in the early sixties. I always felt that I was really just transferring sedum & any infections from one site on my face to another.
None of the dermatologists I've ever seen at skin clinics over the years (last time was last October) have ever made any suggestions about shaving techniques. One piece of advice I was given many years ago at a skin clinic in Glasgow was to always add a dash of malt vinegar to a final rinse bowl of lukewarm water & then pat (never rub) my face dry. I believe this was to restore the PH balance of the skin. Nowadays this can be helped by washing with Seba Med skin products, although there is no doubt that shaving soaps & creams will be likely to alter the natural acid / alkali balance .
Having no medical qualifications whatsoever I can only tentavely suggest trying a pre shave oil to further cut down friction before lathering. Then see how you get on with just one pass with the grain followed by the lukewarm vinegar / water splash & pat dry with a really soft towel. At one stage I was using a baby's terry cloth nappy, which I hand washed & rotated with 2 or 3 others.
Sorry can't suggest anything else, hope things improve for you. I truly can empathise.

JohnnyO. \ :(

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated.

@hunnymonster
I'm using Brut splash on lotion.

I read that alcohol is bad straight on and you should use a moisturizer first... then I realised my "moisturizer" contained alcohol so I only use the Brut (cos it smells amazing).

I've gone through MANY styptic pencils too and I'm going to get some Proraso astringent gel because apparently its more effective than the pencils - idk.

@JohnnyO
Thanks, will definitely get some pre shave oil. Didn't consider it before as my skin is generally oily but I'm willing to try it. The pH balance theory seems legit, not too sure about the vinegar but I have seen some products that are specifically for pH neutralization of the skin so I'll look into those.

Definitely forget about trying to achieve a close shave, just do whatever aggravate's your condition less and if that means shaving with an electric foil (not rotary) shaver every few days then fine but if your condition is chronic and affective go see your GP. Try and avoid touching skin unnecessarily as your hands are in the main dirty and when things have cleared up (as they will eventually) you can think about getting back to a D.E.

Just one thing, what happens when you don't shave for a week or two? Does your skin seem to clear up?

antdad said:
Definitely forget about trying to achieve a close shave, just do whatever aggravate's your condition less and if that means shaving with an electric foil (not rotary) shaver every few days then fine but if your condition is chronic and affective go see your GP. Try and avoid touching skin unnecessarily as your hands are in the main dirty and when things have cleared up (as they will eventually) you can think about getting back to a D.E.

Just one thing, what happens when you don't shave for a week or two? Does your skin seem to clear up?

Nope, not much difference, generally, I only shave once a week to reduce cuts but by the third day I look really scruffy - I'd prefer to shave every two days but I find the skin is too sensitive after shaving.

I went to the GP, he gave me some benzoyl peroxide, didn't make much difference so I stopped using it after going through the first tube but I might start using it again as I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it!

Perhaps I'm rowing the wrong boat, but it seems to me that using a moisturiser on oily skin is only going to exacerbate the issue. The acne is caused by sebum build up behind blocked pores becoming infected, so you need to (a) open the pores to stop them getting blocked so much and (b) do something to kill the morks causing the infection...

Wet shaving will open the pores (when using hot water to prepare with) and an alcohol splash will act to kill off at least some of the morks...

hunnymonster said:
Perhaps I'm rowing the wrong boat, but it seems to me that using a moisturiser on oily skin is only going to exacerbate the issue.

Seems logical, have yet to prove it myself.

hunnymonster said:
Perhaps I'm rowing the wrong boat, but it seems to me that using a moisturiser on oily skin is only going to exacerbate the issue. The acne is caused by sebum build up behind blocked pores becoming infected, so you need to (a) open the pores to stop them getting blocked so much and (b) do something to kill the morks causing the infection...

Wet shaving will open the pores (when using hot water to prepare with) and an alcohol splash will act to kill off at least some of the morks...

In theory I agree, but that's what he's doing already and it isn't working. I'd suggest replacing the splash with either Thayers witch hazel or alum.

I suppose I was trying to establish whether his skin condition was attributable to his shaving habits rather than in spite of them.
My view is more suitable if you have a chronic condition i.e persistent acne on other areas as well as the beard in which case get back to the doctor and seek further medical help however you must complete courses of treatment.

I agree with the principle though, a decent regime should help but slight wariness over the liberal use of an AS, it should kill some morks but it also shrivels and shrinks the pores which is fine if you are not trying to keep them open, you'll need to experiment.

I'd try finishing a shave as follows...warm water rinse (no cold) a witch hazel cleanse followed by a mild (watered down) aftershave, you can increase the concentration if it seems to be working. You certainly do not need a moisturiser if you have oily skin.

Leave the skin to dry naturally if you can or dry by gentle dabbing motions with a clean towel, no scrubbing.

Stop shaving completly for 4-5 weeks, this will allow for healing of any cuts and sore areas. then start again with the DE and just go with the grain.
Stop using all of the 'oily' treatments as well, just use a fragrance free soap. I am sure that you will see an improvement.

antdad said:
I suppose I was trying to establish whether his skin condition was attributable to his shaving habits rather than in spite of them.
My view is more suitable if you have a chronic condition i.e persistent acne on other areas as well as the beard in which case get back to the doctor and seek further medical help however you must complete courses of treatment.

I agree with the principle though, a decent regime should help but slight wariness over the liberal use of an AS, it should kill some morks but it also shrivels and shrinks the pores which is fine if you are not trying to keep them open, you'll need to experiment.

I'd try finishing a shave as follows...warm water rinse (no cold) a witch hazel cleanse followed by a mild (watered down) aftershave, you can increase the concentration if it seems to be working. You certainly do not need a moisturiser if you have oily skin.

Leave the skin to dry naturally if you can or dry by gentle dabbing motions with a clean towel, no scrubbing.

Thanks for all the replies. :D
The skin condition is in spite of the shaving habits.

Here is my plan of action:
Start using the benzoyl peroxide every night again
Purchase an alum block and witch hazel.
Tweak my routine.
Plan B is to try using oily products before the shave.
If all else fails I may resort to the electric shaver but I've never used one and don't like the idea of it.

Other things I think are worth mentioning:
Even though it is debated upon as a direct cause of acne, I'm going to alter my diet and increase water and fruit intake.
I might invest in a "less aggressive" razor, not quite sure what that means, but I think its to do with how much blade is exposed or the gap between the blade and the comb? Any suggestions?

I wouldn't go changing or introducing too many things at once. If you are going to see any improvements it's probably going to be a gradual thing.

Do what the doctor has told you regarding medication, maybe even go and see them again to see if there is anything else they can do for you.

Then maybe shave every other day or two, using an unscented soap or cream, just one pass following the direction of growth, applying minimal pressure. Then a warm water rinse and witch hazel splash, like antdad suggested. Maybe change the blade every shave in case it is harbouring bacteria that is exacerbating your acne. Try this for a month or two and see how things go.

Leave the pre-shave oils and alum for now. You can always try them later if things don't improve or even if they do. It's probably going to be slow going but hopefully things will improve for you.

Just did a search on the net, and there seems to be a consensus that the following DIY steps might help your oily skin prone to break-outs:

-Eat more fruit and vegetables
-Avoid or decrease the intake of dairy products
-Use 25 grams regular yeast mixed with 1 teaspoon warm water or milk as a face mask for 15-20 minutes a day, then rinse with warm water. The yeast should not be the dry powdered type.

These sights also agree with the consensus in this thread not to block up the pores by adding any oily or covering cosmetics (makeup).

All of these tips are from women (maybe to women), but lets face it, they are better at clearing their skin problems than most men.

/Max

If you have what you consider to be a chronic condition and it isn't improving then go back to your GP and say the BP didn't work and seek something stronger. I understand medication is much more effective nowadays but it takes a while to work so fully complete any prescription.

A change to a better diet won't do any harm but there is little evidence that diet affects severe acne anyway. Personally I would do anything to avoid aggravating the condition and that includes shaving, avoid adding oil to the skin in any capacity.

Presumably you have tried a face wash developed for oily skin?

As girly as it may sound, perhaps even a skin mask would help... I'm trying to think what the girlfriend uses that I once indulged in.

Failing that how about a steam and oil session - think there was something in the Lounge about it a while back.

Back
Top Bottom