Is electric the only way for acne?

antdad said:
If you have what you consider to be a chronic condition and it isn't improving then go back to your GP and say the BP didn't work and seek something stronger. I understand medication is much more effective nowadays but it takes a while to work so fully complete any prescription.

This. I was on antibiotics for several years to prevent scarring with mine (which it did very effectively), and was on two rounds of the clinical trials for Roaccutane when that came out - it stopped the acne cold the second time (when they got the dose right - I was an outlier in terms of size and metabolism for the trials on the first run and they didn't give me enough). Roaccutane's a life-changer.

In my opinion I would stay well clear of the electric razor. I am 28 myself and have had acne since my early teens. The best thing I ever did was learning to shave correctly and hydrate my skin. I use e45 after shaving. Some my roll their eyes at e45 but it works well for me. I find drying my skin out from washing all the time makes acne worse. I have also been on an antibiotic for the last few months, which seems to have cleared the last of the acne.

Take time shaving. Hydrate well. See the doctor would be my advice.

SIRUSKEY said:
Some my roll their eyes at e45 but it works well for me.

I couldn't agree more - have had eczema from a young age and been on numerous creams etc. E45 didn't cut it for me usually, now it does...

You could spend an age getting thorugh different things before finding something that works for you. Keep trying. Maybe look at some other products - Liz Earle is a good range; while expensive you may find it just does the trick

There seems to be two concurrent topics running in this useful thread that aren't mutually exclusive.

If you have persistent acne on all areas of the face then definitely seek medical advice.

If your acne seems to be caused by your current wet shaving regime then take the advice given here.

Crushed aspirin works for in growns, it also works for the odd breakout.

hunnymonster said:
antdad said:
Crushed aspirin works for in growns, it also works for the odd breakout.

Could you use dispersible and just hold it on your wet face?

Excellent idea, saves the faff.

For those interested see cosmetic and medicinal uses...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid

antdad said:
If you have persistent acne on all areas of the face then definitely seek medical advice.

I second this advice. As a teenager I had pretty bad acne (incidentally shaving with an electric razor seemed the worst way of aggravating it). Went to Drs and was given medication to keep it under control.

Even now in my 30s I still get the odd breakout - although since switching to DE shaving and adding witch hazel to my post shave routine my skin condition has improved considerably.

Back
Top Bottom